Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview New Eschalon: Book II Interview

Tags: Eschalon: Book II

A site known as Colony of Gamers posted an <a href="http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=6100">interview</a> with Basilisk Games about the upcoming sequel to Eschalon: Book 1.
<br>
<blockquote>But to sum it up, Book II has a new 1024x768 default resolution, gender selectable characters, changing weather that can affect gameplay, new skills, new challenges, new goals, larger game world, and much, much more.
<br>
[...]
<br>
We have added a few options which increase the tactical aspect of combat. For starters, there is now a "Combat Mode" selector that switches between four styles: Normal, Power, Finesse, and Parry. For example, selecting Power mode allows your character to use extra force while attacking with a weapon to incur 20% more damage, but at a -20% ToHit penalty. The opposite is true when using Finesse mode, where you gain 20% more ToHit accuracy at a cost of 20% less damage. The third mode is Parry. While in Parry mode, all the skill points you possess in the weapon that you are holding are applied to your Armor Rating- so if you have a sword skill of 10, these 10 points are added to your Armor Rating. However, this defensive posturing has a penalizing effect on your ability to attack, as both your ToHit and your maximum damage are reduced by 20%.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Our entire design process centers around listening to our fans, and Book II is a culmination of hundreds of suggestions gathered from fans of Book I. However, at the end of the day, we insist upon staying true to the design principals of the series- that Eschalon must remain an authentic old-school role-playing experience. As we've said a dozen times in the past, we are not trying to reinvent the genre and we are not trying to produce the ultimate gaming experience for the largest market demographic- we are making a classic old-school role-playing adventure, nothing more, nothing less.</blockquote>
<br>
Sounds interesting, and is definitely refreshing for people hungering for a classic dungeon romp.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Jedi_Learner</b>.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/">Iron Tower Studio Forums</A>

Rune_74

Novice
I'm partial to this interview ;)

Basilisk did a good job on the answers and it is getting a very warm response a on a site not normally known for rpgs(why I did it for there) no need to convert the converted.

Thanks, Jedi...Thomas will appreciate that.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The first game was an abomination. The worst thing I have played in years (expect maybe for Depth of Peril).

The second one can only be an improvement.

Sir_Brennus said:
The first game was abomination. The worst thing I have played in years (expect maybe for Depth of Peril).

The second one can only be an improvement.

I enjoyed it, though it was not the best game I have ever played.

Carceri

Arcane
I tried to play Book I but I got easily bored, I don't know, maybe it was just me, maybe not, anyway this line here:
we are not trying to reinvent the genre and we are not trying to produce the ultimate gaming experience for the largest market demographic

makes my eyes feel good when i read it.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Luzur said:
well i liked it, and we must encourage indie developers so buy it.

Why on earth should I support devs that make crappy games? It's like buying Oblivion twice.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Luzur said:
well i liked it, and we must encourage indie developers so buy it.

I have not played the game, so I do not know how good it is. However, indie developers should not be supported strictly because they are indie. If the game is not good, then there is no reason to by it.

I tried Depths of Peril for about 10 minutes before losing interest. I have been having fun with Kivi's Underworld, though. It is a great game for killing 20-30 minutes while my wife gets the kids into bed.

Rune_74

Novice
Well, it is good to see the codex hasn't changed...

So if it was so crappy, what was wrong with it? You didn't see anything good with it at all?

Durwyn

Prophet
It was kinda meh for me. Combat was utterly boring but I liked the character progression. Plus the goddamn small resolution forced me to play in window which I hate. Definetely has potential but it needs polish. Still I might buy the second one.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I thought it was good, and the sequel is on my "must buy" list. Yeah, there were some cons, but the pros outweighed them for me (admittedly, there may be some nostalgia value involved).

I'm far more interested in it than the next Bioware or Obsidian game.

quasimodo

Augur
Shagnak said:
I thought it was good, and the sequel is on my "must buy" list. Yeah, there were some cons, but the pros outweighed them for me (admittedly, there may be some nostalgia value involved).

Pretty much how I feel.

Needs some work, but I feel that the developer is headed in the right direction which I can't say for any maker of AAA RPGs.

Saxon1974

Prophet
quasimodo said:
Shagnak said:

Pretty much how I feel.

Needs some work, but I feel that the developer is headed in the right direction which I can't say for any maker of AAA RPGs.

See the difference here is this developer is going this out of a labour of love....its not purely based on how much money can a publisher make for the amount of effort. Sure he wants to make enough to make a living, but I dont think sales are his key motivation.

Andhaira

Arcane
This is also my most expected crpg of this year. I am currently playing bok 1 again and have been playing it basically non stop for the last few nights. My only issue is that problems with th eifrst game will carry over to the second:

-Too few skill points
-No point cap. This results in first time players basically fucking their characters over. I mean, why should it be possible to put as much as 30 pts into cartography when 5 is all you really need and more than 17 doesn't do shit? (with 17 you can see blips on the maps)
-Unoptimized engine reulting in an old school game being a rsource hog. This should run smoothly on 512m ram, yet it need 2GB!! Get some help with optimizing Baslisk wrnagler!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Eschalon is great (and its graphics are pretty :) ). However, I understand the criticisms that the world is bland, that interactions with NPC's are very rudimentary, and that the combat is boring. If Riegsecker would add action-points and longer dialogue trees, it would come close to HEAVAN. Still, a must-buy for any Codexer, imo.

quasimodo

Augur
When you know that its Reigsecker's first game and considering the huge amount of work for one person to put together a game from scratch its pretty amazing how good the game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom