Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Nine Divines Poll at the official forums

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
In what ways?
Daggerfall's NPCs were all clones. Besides the Main Quests quest givers, all of them were clones.
Many of MW's NPCs shared dialogue topics as well, but they weren't clones. They had different answers based on class, race, location, guild. Which made them a little more interesting than DF's.
And Morrowind's quest givers had personalities, which, although they weren't too deep, were better than DF's, where all quest givers of a certain guild were the same.
For example: Edwinna was enthusiastic, wanted fame for herself, sneaky. Ranys was bad, didn't care for human life, used the player to eliminate those who annoyed her. Skink was good, intelligent, pacifist.

bryce777

Erudite
I have always wanted to have a game where you get serious into religion. Not in a touchy feely way, but a more gritty kind of way where you have to try to convert people, have religious arguments and perhaps battles, and perhaps transcend to sainthood or else become chosen by your god and have crazy dream sequences and stuff you have to do.

I dont think it could just be tacked into a game, though. It made no difference what temple you jioned in daggerfall for instance....

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tintin said:
What would be realistic for them is to arm, barricade the room, and wait it out making it impossible for you to kill them silently

Not really. Isn't is supposed to be just a regular dinner party? Would any regular people at a normal dinner party react this way?
I'd say most people who are getting killed one by one at a dinner party would try to get the fuck out and/or call the guards. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm a trained professional at surving hostile dinner parties.

Lumpy

Arcane
bryce777 said:
I have always wanted to have a game where you get serious into religion. Not in a touchy feely way, but a more gritty kind of way where you have to try to convert people, have religious arguments and perhaps battles, and perhaps transcend to sainthood or else become chosen by your god and have crazy dream sequences and stuff you have to do.

I dont think it could just be tacked into a game, though. It made no difference what temple you jioned in daggerfall for instance....
Yes, such a thing would be interesting. Actually preaching to people would be nice, if you had multiple options, which also depended on what books you read and your skills, and choosing the right options would allow you to advance in rank.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Morrowind's NPCs, for all of their awsome "unique" qualities, were every bit as "dumb" as Daggerfall's. Whereas they responded due to race, religion, etc - DF's NPCs responded according to your status and "etiquette". So now you have to dance a mouse-pointer around a dial until you're given visual cues as to what their response will be, click and instantly they're your bestest friend. Sure it's affected by your speech-craft (allegedly) but there isn't going to be a whole lot of uniqueness there.

As for the dinner-party: I'm pretty sure that, if guests started turning up dead, I'd be getting the hell away from there. Not arming up and wandering dark corridors so the perpetrator could sneak up behind me with a blunt axe. It's asinine, not awsome, for the guests to barricade themselves in with a killer and then split off and go play hide and go die. Mad panic, threshing around in the doorway with everyone else and trying to get the hell out of there - that's realistic behaviour.

And, IIRC, isn't the main quest for Oblivion being written by the same person who wrote the main quest for Morrowind?

Lumpy

Arcane
OverrideB1 said:
Morrowind's NPCs, for all of their awsome "unique" qualities, were every bit as "dumb" as Daggerfall's. Whereas they responded due to race, religion, etc - DF's NPCs responded according to your status and "etiquette". So now you have to dance a mouse-pointer around a dial until you're given visual cues as to what their response will be, click and instantly they're your bestest friend. Sure it's affected by your speech-craft (allegedly) but there isn't going to be a whole lot of uniqueness there.
Morrowind's NPCs were different from each other, unlike Daggerfall's, which were all the same. And the new system looks nice, since it seems that there is a danger level, probably with dangerous responses having a smaller chance of success, yet raising the disposition more if successful.

OverrideB1 said:
As for the dinner-party: I'm pretty sure that, if guests started turning up dead, I'd be getting the hell away from there. Not arming up and wandering dark corridors so the perpetrator could sneak up behind me with a blunt axe. It's asinine, not awsome, for the guests to barricade themselves in with a killer and then split off and go play hide and go die. Mad panic, threshing around in the doorway with everyone else and trying to get the hell out of there - that's realistic behaviour.
I would rather stay inside until daylight, or get a guard to accompany me to my house, rather than exit alone in the middle of the night, will an assasin trying to kill me.

OverrideB1 said:
And, IIRC, isn't the main quest for Oblivion being written by the same person who wrote the main quest for Morrowind?
Most likely yes.

bryce777

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Tintin said:
What would be realistic for them is to arm, barricade the room, and wait it out making it impossible for you to kill them silently

Not really. Isn't is supposed to be just a regular dinner party? Would any regular people at a normal dinner party react this way?
I'd say most people who are getting killed one by one at a dinner party would try to get the fuck out and/or call the guards. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm a trained professional at surving hostile dinner parties.

Yup. It is a good example of how the game is going to be basically cheese where you use exploits in the AI system and this is considered 'gameplay'.

It just makes me laugh that this sort of stuff is bragged about instead of seen as a ludicrous gap int heir AI system....

Drakron

Arcane
Well if we ever want to kill TES fanboys its just a matter of inviting then to a dinner party.

bryce777

Erudite
OverrideB1 said:

I believe he is the idiot who had rules like 'no betrayals' and may be the guy who went crazy about the one interview some fan site had up.

kathode

Novice
Developer
It's not just a standard dinner party, you twits :) Obviously they have dialog explaining their motivations for sticking around.

OverrideB1 said:

Nope.

galsiah

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, I have same attitude to religions as to gays... but having in mind that their views, if taken to extremes by everyone - will exterminate the humanity.
Sorry to drag this up, but the:
"If everyone were gay humanity couldn't continue." argument against homosexuality is just plain stupid.

If everyone on earth were an accountant, we'd all starve... so ban accountancy?
If everyone on earth slept in your house they'd all be crushed to death... so move out?

Any "If everyone did ??? things would be terrible, so don't do ???" argument is logically flawed. Just think how terrible things would be if everyone used such stupid arguments ;).

One of the great things about humanity is diversity. People are different. Of course if everyone suddenly acted in the same way things would go horribly wrong, but the nice thing is: they don't. Pretty much any views are silly when taken to extremes - but usually they aren't taken to extremes.

I'm not religious (or gay, for the record), but my views towards religious people have changed quite a bit over the last few years. From a kind of "What!? Are you insane!?" attitude, to a "Hmm - perhaps we're all insane." point of view.

How do you define religion? Worship? A set of beliefs?
I think the thing most atheists find most weird about religion is not the worship (which makes sense once you assume the beliefs), but the beliefs themselves. Most major religions involve beliefs that I think are a bit crazy.

However, after concluding that religious folk are crazy, I thought it would be nice to conclude that I myself am not. Here I have trouble. Do I have beliefs? I'd like to say no, but I have to conceed that I do - I certainly act as though I do. Maintaining that I don't would just be being difficult.
My beliefs are pretty much all moral beliefs: "It's usually bad to kill people.", "I should consider other people's feelings." etc., with a bit of self preservation thrown in "It's not good to die."...

Can I justify any of these? No. Any justification would need to be based on some other unjustified belief. My conclusion: my beliefs are just as crazy and arbitrary (logically speaking) as religious beliefs. Almost all atheists have such beliefs.

I still have trouble with some religious beliefs though, where they form logical contradictions, or are just meaningless (or perhaps just even more meaningless than everything else in the world). On this basis I like to think I'm a bit saner than they are - though perhaps the above is an argument to the contrary ;).

Back on topic to a degree, I object to the idea implicit in the question: That organised religious factions are what is needed to provide moral depth to TES (or any game).

'm in favour of the inclusion of such factions on the basis that it seems odd not to include them - they're part of the TES world. However, I don't think they are necessary in order to bring moral depth. Organised religions are not the only source of moral values or moral codes in reality, and they shouldn't be the only source in games. Religions often tend towards extremes in their teachings - towards the black and white. Personally I find it more interesting to play a character with grey areas in his beliefs: Paladins and evil necromancers will rarely surprise you - playing these character types usually (though not always) makes decisions more obvious.

Of course religious people needn't be defined by their religion, so a member of fairly extreme religious order need not be a black and white character.

I just learned something new - I was about to use "Thou shall not kill" as an illustration of organised religion being extreme, religious people being less so - willing to add a few ifs and buts -, and some "religious" people ignoring it completely.
However, apparently the correct translation is "Though shall not murder", which can mean a whole load of things. Still, a lot of people think it's "Thou shall not kill", but are still ready to ignore it when it suits them.

I'm sure I had a point here somewhere. Basically I dislike the idea that morality requires organised religion - in reality or in a game. I'd prefer more interesting character reactions to your actions / reputation - preferably more complex than "I hate you because...", or "You're great because...".

Deus Ex did this to a degree (and no, I'm not saying it's an RPG) with various reactions to your behaviour on the first mission according to how many "terrorists" you killed. It was fairly black and white: kill everyone and some of the soldiers think you're great, but Paul and others think you're an arse; kill no-one and Paul thinks you're great, while the soldiers think you're chicken. What annoyed me was the lack of follow through - after the first mission there were no colourful responses to your actions (well a few - shooting up the bar / using the ladies' gets interesting responses), and no atmosphere: the only difference after the first mission between butchering every guard in the game and killing only when absolutely necessary were practical considerations.

In future games I'd like to see more emphasis on this - more diverse and colourful reactions to your actions throughout the game. They needn't always have practical conseqences - just add to the feel that the way you conduct yourself has wider consequences than immediate tactical considerations.
A religious faction would be nice, but it's not something I see as necessary to provide depth. As I said above, the main reason I see for including such a faction is for consistency with the established TES world.

Section8

Cipher
Maybe. But the point is you have to kill all of them and silently (correct me if I'm wrong). In order to do that, all of them must act really stupid and do things that will make it convinient for you to kill them, making it not an interesting quest but a quest to wait for another fool to leave the group to be killed.

Who knows? Maybe it will be a clever parody of the formula for Hollywood teen slasher flicks. Or maybe, it will have the tension and psychological thrills of The Thing. In any case, regardless of how rational it might be compared to realistic human behaviour, gameplay wise, it sounds a lot more interesting than any of Morrowind's quests.

However, it seems doubtful that more intelligent approaches would be viable alternatives to being the slasher at a dinner party. Poison the food, destroy the entire house, use speechcraft to turn guests against each other, lock all the doors and set a hungry bear loose, etc.

Drakron

Arcane
kathode said:
... Obviously they have dialog explaining their motivations for sticking around.

NPC:"I was droped on my head when I was a baby"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kathode said:
... Obviously they have dialog explaining their motivations for sticking around.
NPC: OMG! I can't leave! Somebody help me! I'm being controlled by a really dumb AI!

Tintin

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I'd say most people who are getting killed one by one at a dinner party would try to get the fuck out and/or call the guards.

That sounds more reasonable for an average group than "arm, barricade the room, and wait it out". Why would dinner party guests bring weapons, anyways?

LlamaGod

Cipher
OverrideB1 said:
MSFD - thanks for the heads up on the MQ. Not that it makes an iota of difference to me who's writing it, but thanks anyway.

that was kathode

he's like the homosexual MSFD

Twinfalls

Erudite
That was Kathode. And stop thanking Bethesda geeks for whatever little bits of info they piss your way - this isn't the TES official board.

Lumpy

Arcane
Section8 said:
Maybe. But the point is you have to kill all of them and silently (correct me if I'm wrong). In order to do that, all of them must act really stupid and do things that will make it convinient for you to kill them, making it not an interesting quest but a quest to wait for another fool to leave the group to be killed.

Who knows? Maybe it will be a clever parody of the formula for Hollywood teen slasher flicks. Or maybe, it will have the tension and psychological thrills of The Thing. In any case, regardless of how rational it might be compared to realistic human behaviour, gameplay wise, it sounds a lot more interesting than any of Morrowind's quests.

However, it seems doubtful that more intelligent approaches would be viable alternatives to being the slasher at a dinner party. Poison the food, destroy the entire house, use speechcraft to turn guests against each other, lock all the doors and set a hungry bear loose, etc.
Food poisoning is non-scripted. You can get poisoned food at the Dark Brotherhood and the NPCs might eat it when they are hungry. Destroying buildings would be very hard with the cell system. Using speechcraft to turn them into each other? How would you do that? As for the bear thing, well....

Micmu

Magister
Using speechcraft to turn them into each other? How would you do that?
It's called diplomacy approach. If they managed to incorporate that in the game... well that would be really fucking cool.
You get a dialogue option to lie to a NPC. If your speechcraft skill is good enough, you manage to convince NPCs to believe you.
"I've heard that Joe is secretly cutting a better deal with that guy... that's why he's so quiet."

Lumpy

Arcane
micmu said:
Using speechcraft to turn them into each other? How would you do that?
It's called diplomacy approach. If they managed to incorporate that in the game... well that would be really fucking cool.
Yes, it would be fucking cool. But how the heck do you make people at a dinner party kill each other??

Micmu

Magister
Use your immagination. If guests are criminals or some money hungry imperials, then it's pretty easy. )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom