Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Oblivion Preview on Gamespy that you'll just LOVE

Bosco

Novice
kingcomrade said:
Gamespy is like a high school newspaper. The writing quality is poor and uninspired, and usually gushing for no good reason.
Don't talk about Gamespy like that. They just don't waste time on any messy "thinking".

ExMonk

Scholar
HanoverF said:
kathode said:
HardCode said:
I really wish that a Morrowind player could review Oblivion.

Like Desslock?

Anyone who enjoyed Morrowind enough to write a 500 page guide isn't the kind of person I'm going to bet makes a rational unbiased review.

Or simply Anyone who enjoyed Morrowind for that matter...

Are you saying that only someone who hates something is qualified to report on it? Or are you saying that if a person has a demonstrable strong opinion about a topic, forged by serious experience about that topic, this fact disqualifies him/her from giving a rational and accurate presentation? If so you are disqualifying most everyone.

Just remember that this cuts both ways...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Point is, one should take a fanboy opinion with a grain of salt. Not that I agree that Desslock is a fanboy...

However, as I pointed out at TES forums, Desslock gave a good 8.4 review to Dungeon Siege, so his credability has been tainted.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess if you boil it down what I'm really saying is fanatics are not unbiased or rational. And yes, that does obviously go to any side of any issue. That might hit close to home for you. You also seem to totally ignore the BIAS part to make your point.

The 'Anyone who enjoyed' part should probably be loved, I mean, people can enjoy a cup and ball game

I don't know if this Dass guy is a fanboy or not, but Dasslock doesn't sound much like a journalist or reviewer name. If he got paid for the guide that changes things a bit, but he still played Morrowind enough to compile a lengthy guide, and still enjoyed it, so there is clearly something wrong with him.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I played the shit out of Morrowind to see if there wa anything good in it and SURPRISE there wasnt.

if you poke around the interweb, I have a mod (and almost made a second mod that would've knocked peoples socks off) and theres a bunch of screenshots of my character

ExMonk

Scholar
HanoverF said:
I guess if you boil it down what I'm really saying is fanatics are not unbiased or rational. And yes, that does obviously go to any side of any issue. That might hit close to home for you. You also seem to totally ignore the BIAS part to make your point.

The 'Anyone who enjoyed' part should probably be loved, I mean, people can enjoy a cup and ball game

I don't know if this Dass guy is a fanboy or not, but Dasslock doesn't sound much like a journalist or reviewer name. If he got paid for the guide that changes things a bit, but he still played Morrowind enough to compile a lengthy guide, and still enjoyed it, so there is clearly something wrong with him.

It's Desslock, with an "e." And "Desslock" is his journalistic name, not his real one. He has a pretty respected pedigree as a rpg reviewer that goes back quite a few years. He certainly is no "fanboy."

So it's "fanatics" who are not rational or unbiased. That begs the question, What is a fanatic? How do you define "fanatic"? I could easily call a number of the regular posters here "rpg fanatics," and I doubt that they'd disagree. Does that make their opinions biased and irrational?

Micmu

Magister
LlamaGod said:
if you poke around the interweb, I have a mod (and almost made a second mod that would've knocked peoples socks off) and theres a bunch of screenshots of my character
I bet your wasn't as hot as mine.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I beat Morrowind and Bloodmoon and got to like level 70 or some chit

There is absolutely no RPG in that game and thats why I dont like Oblivion already, because it's just going to be the same bullshit

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ExMonk said:
It's Desslock, with an "e." And "Desslock" is his journalistic name, not his real one.
Thats gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
ExMonk said:
He has a pretty respected pedigree as a rpg reviewer that goes back quite a few years.
Ok second stupidest. (especially in light of the Dungeon Siege score)

ExMonk said:
I could easily call a number of the regular posters here "rpg fanatics," and I doubt that they'd disagree. Does that make their opinions biased and irrational?

Oh absoultely (just look at Volourn) but besides the point. You seem to be dragging this toward fanatic identification and away (for whatever reason) from the crux of my post, that being discussing terms of review legitimacy.

I'd need a grain of salt the size of Utah to take with a review of Oblivion written by someone named Daslok :P who loved Morrowind and has a multipage guide on the subject.

Section8

Cipher
Nothing that most of us don't already know, but that's the sort of thing that can't be said enough, especially from gaming journos themselves. Cheers for the link, Dreagon.

Human Shield

Augur
It isn't news journalism, it is a industry fanbase newsletter. I'm sure magazines about guns/cars/bikes/clothes have glowing previews of anything big designers come up with.

It isn't reporting facts. Only rarely due you see real interviews with developers that have left and give the real story (and they aren't reported by the big players).

They don't work with events that happen but rather whatever scraps the developers throw them. They are newsletters to say "this is going to be cool".

damaged_drone

Novice
LlamaGod said:

There is absolutely no RPG in that game and thats why I dont like Oblivion already, because it's just going to be the same bullshit

care to elaborate on the no rp in mw?

LlamaGod

Cipher
damaged_drone said:
LlamaGod said:

care to elaborate how there is any roleplaying?

and that 'IM PRETENDING IM SCARED OF HEIGHTS111!!' shit wont fly with me

Lumpy

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
damaged_drone said:
LlamaGod said:

care to elaborate how there is any roleplaying?

and that 'IM PRETENDING IM SCARED OF HEIGHTS111!!' shit wont fly with me
Ugh? What shit?
What does role-playing mean to you? Choosing a certain character personality and staying with it, right?

LlamaGod

Cipher
roleplaying in games isn't magic pretend time, no matter what MMORPGs try to make you think

Roleplaying is using the game system to define a role for your character, his physical/mental abilities and having the game world respond to how he is. Being able to say and do things and also not being able to say and do things.

And thats the game world reacting, not just you being a stupid ass in front of the computer.

Lumpy

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
roleplaying in games isn't magic pretend time, no matter what MMORPGs try to make you think

Roleplaying is using the game system to define a role for your character, his physical/mental abilities and having the game world respond to how he is. Being able to say and do things and also not being able to say and do things.

And thats the game world reacting, not just you being a stupid ass in front of the computer.
Although I'm having a little trouble comprehending some of your sentences - "magic pretend time"?? - frm what I did understand, it seems that you listed things that did happen in Morrowind.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Lumpy said:
LlamaGod said:

Although I'm having a little trouble comprehending some of your sentences - "magic pretend time"?? - frm what I did understand, it seems that you listed things that did happen in Morrowind.

when

Lumpy

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
Lumpy said:
LlamaGod said:

when
I'm assuming that you mean to say "When did those things happen?", but I'm not sure.
You defined a class for your character at the beggining, which determined what he could do and what he could not do.
All the choices you made during the game defined your character's personality.

LlamaGod

Cipher
besides the fact that options are the same for everyone and you have no personality in Morrowind (are there even fucking choices?), you never ever once have the world react to your character design

and morrowind's character system had 0 roleplaying in it. All the skills were self-help or combat skills (and like 2 trading skills) and all your stats just raised values, you never actually had a specific character.

you can get 100 in everything in morrowind and still be the same exact character you were when you started, you just do more damage

damaged_drone

Novice
i think its true there was little in the way of reactivity to how your character completed tasks and that any rp u got from mw was mainly in which quests your character participated in at all. 'can you rob a boat of its valuable limeware pottery for me? its in dock at ebonheart' the rp is in the yes or no. if ur char was a thief u had a sneaky thief quest to play ur thief role in. if u were honest u said fuck off and went and found honest quests to do. thats rp in my book. :wink:

edit: ur character in mw is defined more by their actions as opposed to what your character sheet says as you seem to want. urban/violent/honest/sneaky/mercenary/tomb robber/wilderness etc etc little reactivity but rp none the less.

Lumpy

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
besides the fact that options are the same for everyone and you have no personality in Morrowind (are there even fucking choices?), you never ever once have the world react to your character design

and morrowind's character system had 0 roleplaying in it. All the skills were self-help or combat skills (and like 2 trading skills) and all your stats just raised values, you never actually had a specific character.

you can get 100 in everything in morrowind and still be the same exact character you were when you started, you just do more damage
There were lots of fucking choices in Morrowind. 300+ optional quests are choices. Want to play an evil or selfish character? Join the Telvanni. An agent? Join the Hlaalu. A healer? The Temple. A diplomat? Imperial Cult. An assassin? Morag Tong. A researcher or an archeologist? The Mages Guild. A mercenary? Fighters Guild. A thief? Thieves guild. A honourable warrior? The Redoran.

Micmu

Magister
Lumpy said:
There were lots of fucking choices in Morrowind. 300+ optional quests are choices. Want to play an evil or selfish character? Join the Telvanni. An agent? Join the Hlaalu. A healer? The Temple. A diplomat? Imperial Cult. An assassin? Morag Tong. A researcher or an archeologist? The Mages Guild. A mercenary? Fighters Guild. A thief? Thieves guild. A honourable warrior? The Redoran.
There was lots of pretending in Morrowind.

Lumpy

Arcane
micmu said:
Lumpy said:
There was lots of pretending in Morrowind.
What kind of pretending?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom