Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas is the best Obsidian game ever

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Saying that New Vegas is great because of mods is unfair, all Bethesda games since Morrowind are better because of mods but Morrowind is still way better than Skyrim in spite of them; all the shinny graphics or super models of the Wasteland dont make a shitty game better but do make an already great game like NV one of the best
For this playthrough I mostly stuck to fixes, patches, unused content, a few graphic mods and that is it (no project nevada either) so this playthrough is probably as vanilla as the game could have been with 6 months of extra polish and it is still fucking amazing... I spent more than 5 hours playing last nite and enjoying the heck out of it
Can’t remember the last time I did that but probably the first time I since Artorias of the Abyss DLC for Dark Souls way back in 2012

Jezal_k23

I think it's agreed upon that all of Bethesda's games are shit without some degree of modding, so it's only fitting that NV would be the same.

Obsidian does deserve a lot of credit for excellent worldbuilding, compelling faction mechanics, solid main and side quests (no randomly generated shit whatsoever) and well written companions, none of which Bethesda has accomplished now for many, many years.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I feel uncomfortable giving Obsidian the credit for creating a great game when it seem like without modders it would be a lot less unenjoyable. If I had experienced the crashes that people had at launch I might have given up on NV before making it to the strip.

You are not wrong. Especially when it comes to bugs. But Obsidian did create a fantastic RPG framework in New Vegas. So great in fact, that you only need to tweak numbers here and there. Other RPGs would require to be rebuilt from the ground up.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Saying that New Vegas is great because of mods is unfair, all Bethesda games since Morrowind are better because of mods but Morrowind is still way better than Skyrim in spite of them; all the shinny graphics or super models of the Wasteland dont make a shitty game better but do make an already great game like NV one of the best

I have the impression that New Vegas was released in a worse state than Morrowind. I played Morrowind at release on the original xbox and it worked ok. I finished the main quest on the xbox. Take another view: if Alpha Protocol had been made in Gamebryo maybe modders would have fixed the bugs and people would like it more. I don't know for sure, I haven't played it, but that seems like a possibility.

New Vegas at release used to crash while saving. I tend to just stop playing games that have that problem. I bet a lot of other people do too.

Master

Arbiter
NV has great world building? How do we explain the functioning and just the existence of the Legion then? Ridiculous.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I have the impression that New Vegas was released in a worse state than Morrowind. I played Morrowind at release on the original xbox and it worked ok. I finished the main quest on the xbox. Take another view: if Alpha Protocol had been made in Gamebryo maybe modders would have fixed the bugs and people would like it more. I don't know for sure, I haven't played it, but that seems like a possibility.
In my first playthrough of Morrowind (on PC, of course), I forgot to install a patch until I was nearly finished. Still managed to make it through without any serious bugs. :positive:

Morrowind was undoubtedly the least buggy at time of release of all the games made using Bethesda's Gamebryo-derived engine --- and also less buggy than Arena and Daggerfall.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
NV has great world building? How do we explain the functioning and just the existence of the Legion then? Ridiculous.

Easy, with 5-minute long infodump in the intro.

Bethesda/Gamebryo games are fine without mods. I am yet to see any mod actually improving the game. Apart from unofficial patches, ui mods and texture packs (and even those are limited) I am yet to see any mod that makes the game better. You get something like Requiem for Skyrim that claims to bring roleplaying back - but hilariously has even more broken balance and mostly makes your way on being all-powerful demigod more miserable because of one-shot archers and removal of early companions. Maybe radio mods for Fallout games can be OK but one I've tried had managed to use lore breaking songs somehow. 4GB patches and fixes may make FNV better but not by much, Project Nevada is a mess.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

New Vegas at release used to crash while saving. I tend to just stop playing games that have that problem. I bet a lot of other people do too.
Funny you should mention that because I actually played a Fallout 3 today and it is much worse than NV with crashes and freezes, I even got the latest patch and set compatiblity for Windows XP but I had at least 5 crashes (and one while saving) in one gaming session and NV I have had maybe 2 in more than 30 hours of gaming
Maybe the GOG version of NV is more stable or whatever but it was really noticeable

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Steam version of Fallout 3 even says it's not optimized for Windows 7 or later versions. Which is funny because Fallout 3 GOTY was released on Steam after Windows 7 was released. Reviews say that you have to do some work to launch it and even then it's not great.

Gog version has Games for Windows Live! patched out from Fallout 3. If I had to chose I'd probably use it. I don't have F3 on Steam or GOG so I can't check but if I'd wanted to play it I'd use GOG version. Steam FNV works fine for me.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I broke F:NV when I sneaked into Caesar's tent and planted a bomb under his chair. Proceeded to watch his bug-eyed corpse launch straight up and crash down and then sneaked right out, no problem. The rest of the game, the Legion proceeded as if nothing had happened. Also....it crashed every hour or so. Great game.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I broke F:NV when I sneaked into Caesar's tent and planted a bomb under his chair. Proceeded to watch his bug-eyed corpse launch straight up and crash down and then sneaked right out, no problem. The rest of the game, the Legion proceeded as if nothing had happened. Also....it crashed every hour or so. Great game.

Well, the legion continues without Caesar. There is this other guy...

eggdogg

Learned
Ive never been able to finished NV without a game breaking bug/crash. This thread has inspired me to try another run through the Mojave.

nwn2db > NWN2.

Matticus

Educated
About the most flattering thing I can say about FNV is that I thought it was better than F3. FNV = slightly above average, F3 = bad. I know of only one reason why an average game that is eclipsed by its predecessors gets so much praise.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Ive never been able to finished NV without a game breaking bug/crash. This thread has inspired me to try another run through the Mojave.

nwn2db > NWN2.

My argument would be I was never able to finish F1 or F2 without a game breaking bug in the 90's.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Speaking of Fallout 1 & 2, I liked both games back when I played them but honestly they didn’t blow me away... they had some great stuff like The Master but overall I guess the setting never clicked for me since I do prefer a fantasy setting
Beign a huge fan of Stalker I prefered that harsh realistic environment that bordered more on a survival horror game rather than the futuristic 50’s themes of the originals (and to a certain extent Fallout 3)
Only until recently playing New Vegas did the setting click for me, the Mohave gave me something closer to a mix between shooter mechanics from Stalker (and even some survival vibes) along with the depth from the originals
My newfound love for Fallout is kind of surprising to me and it is quite clear it mostly stems from New Vegas and has made me look at the other games from a much better perspective (yes Fallout 3 too)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Oh god I had the best New Vegas gaming session I’ve had in a long time...
I had a boring ass 20 hour training pharma vigilance which we do yearly to go over the same boring shit for one of my clients, but now they do it through go to meeting with audio and slideshows so I decided to actually play New Vegas while saying a couple of yeahs and the odd question to show I was still awake hahah so I got 5 hour gaming sessions this whole week

Lurker47

Savant
About the most flattering thing I can say about FNV is that I thought it was better than F3. FNV = slightly above average, F3 = bad. I know of only one reason why an average game that is eclipsed by its predecessors gets so much praise.
The mindless, contrarian praise that New Vegas has gotten after the release of 4 is autistic as fuck but dismissing it is equally as retarded. The only thing markedly worse in New Vegas is the combat and the combat was never really good to begin with. People don't just overpraise New Vegas; 1 and 2 are overpraised as well.
Meaning....?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
There are 2 reasons to play the original Fallouts.
1) Writing (all aspects of it, from dialogue to the world building)
2) The open ended nature of its quest design
The combat, while somewhat fun is mired by repetition and shallow complexity even for its time.

Point being, Fallout games always had decent-ish combat at best, but they wouldn't be nearly as good if not for the setting and writing. Which is what 3 and 4 lacked.
NV best Obsidian game?
Absofuckinglutely.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The trouble with this comparision is that no one plays NV without mods and they haven't for maybe 5 years. Between all of the unofficial patches, 4GB hacks, anti-crash protection, project nevada, etc, contemporary players don't really get a sense of what it was like when Obsidian stopped patching it (or even at release...).

I feel uncomfortable giving Obsidian the credit for creating a great game when it seem like without modders it would be a lot less unenjoyable. If I had experienced the crashes that people had at launch I might have given up on NV before making it to the strip.
You're absolutely fucking kidding. I played it on release, no mods. Played it so many times. I can barely play this game WITH mods. Only one I use is JESawyer and YUP. They're not really mods, though. Other than that, there is absolutely no need for any mods at all.

Master

Arbiter
The mindless, contrarian praise that New Vegas has gotten after the release of 4 is autistic as fuck but dismissing it is equally as retarded. The only thing markedly worse in New Vegas is the combat and the combat was never really good to begin with. People don't just overpraise New Vegas; 1 and 2 are overpraised as well.
Meaning....?
They are illogical.

Lurker47

Savant
Meaning....?
They are illogical.
It's an army made up of tribes largely originating from isolated areas in the Grand Canyon. They threaten people into intimidate people into living under them and have a religious cult. Their rise to power comes from their tribal imperialism.

Functioning? What's so hard to believe about their ability to function? There are slaves and people living in the territories that do a variety of necessary jobs. The exact way they function isn't entirely clear but there's nothing that makes their government seem completely illogical.

typical user

Arbiter
What do you need for society to function? Place to sleep, food and water. I guess an army of enslaved tribes with their identities washed away can do an OK job at that.

Lurker47

Savant
What do you need for society to function? Place to sleep, food and water. I guess an army of enslaved tribes with their identities washed away can do an OK job at that.
And again, the random towns that the Legion ran into that went "well, yeah, sure we'll accept the option of being drafted if you want as long as you don't insta-kill us"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom