Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas - playing a retard

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Perhaps this could be moddable?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Morkar said:
But can you people imagine the butthurt if someone would pick a dialog line and wouldn't succeed? Without knowing that a higher stat would give him a better dialog line and a success? The bethforums would break down from all the raging "This makes no sense, Obsidian is shit" - threads.

That's the reason they are in the first place. I doubt they thought
"Well... we should make it clear what you need when."
"Why? Shouldn't players play the game and find out for themselves?"
"Nah. Players don't like exploring a game. They're all a bunch of meta and powergamers."

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I don't mind if the game gives me some sort of hint that a character with better skills / stats could take the dialogue ina different direction. OK, sometimes it makes little sense, e.g. regarding Perception, since if your Perception is low enough you simply do not notice the thing the dialogue option is about. But with Speech / Charisma it's obviously different.

But still, I think that some lines with high Speech requirements should also be unavailable for characters whose Charisma is not high enough. It would make the stat more important. The same with Science and Intelligence.

MasPingon

Arcane
Morkar said:
It would be much much better if you couldn't see the values. Especially because some fail answers sound reasonable and worth to try out.

But can you people imagine the butthurt if someone would pick a dialog line and wouldn't succeed? Without knowing that a higher stat would give him a better dialog line and a success? The bethforums would break down from all the raging "This makes no sense, Obsidian is shit" - threads.

New shit, I guess. 10 years ago there were real manual instructions, if I remember correctly Arcanum manual was about 150 pages long. I'm looking at New Vegas manual now - it has 25 pages. There is no information about skills and SPECIAL description looks like this:

It's your 7 attributes, if there is minus to the right it means your attribute is weakened, if there is a plus it means it is stenghtened / lol /

Traits - your special traits

Perks - special abilities

The end, just play the fucking game you idiot. You don't want to read a book or something

Black

Arcane
For retarded responses they could've just copy/pasted the dialogues from fo3.

muffildy

Educated
fools

I think that your expecting too much, even in fallout 2 there was a limited amount of actual dialogue written for idiots - the majority of the quests in fact cannot be obtained because the npcs will tell you to get lost.

I suppose they could have gone this route as well with NV, but that would just mean you would need to eat mentats every few minutes to talk to anyone with a quest.

Have you been to helious 1 yet? that idiot dialogue was hilarious.

As far as special is concerned, i think its pretty well balanced between peoples playstyles. Diplomats will want cha and so companions will pwn stuff for them, while marksman will want perception still so the little red lines will appear on screen sooner. The only one i think could use some work is strength - its rather pathetic the amount unarmed does even with 10 strength, you absolutely need a weapon to survive unlike in fallout 2 where you could go bare fisted for quite a long time before it got hard.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Andyman Messiah said:
New Vegas is awesome! If you don't like it you're not playing it right!
Darth Roxor said:
Sorry bro, you can't punish the player for wrong choices.
racofer said:
But guise NV is so good Obshitian is so great what's going on in this thread?

What is the purpose in noise-to-signal posts like this? What inspires you to muster the effort to make them?
Boredom.

Also, it's kinda fun to do the TES community's standard response to anyone who bashed Oblivion. No matter how strong the evidence of dumbfuckery, it doesn't matter because you don't understand the game as well as we do. You dumb motherfucker, you.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Andyman Messiah said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
What is the purpose in noise-to-signal posts like this? What inspires you to muster the effort to make them?
Boredom.

Also, it's kinda fun to do the TES community's standard response to anyone who bashed Oblivion. No matter how strong the evidence of dumbfuckery, it doesn't matter because you don't understand the game as well as we do. You dumb motherfucker, you.

Translation: There are liek words and shit but none of 'dem words be fam-i-lushar liek "SHIT" and "POOP". Dunno what 'dem words means but musta be suckin 'dem OBSIDISHIT COCK then. TESFAGS LOLOLOLOL!!11

MrBrown

Liturgist
MasPingon said:
Elwro said:
If the stat is low enough the option won't even appear, right?

No, the problem is you can always see it

There are actually instances where you can't see the option unless you have the stats... I think one of them is at the start of the game, when leaving Doc Mitchell's house, if you have Med 30 you can ask for more meds. I do get the failure option for low speech, but not for low med. There are others as well, but can't remember any atm.

I kinda understand why obsidian is showing the stat requirements. I wouldn't want to have to replay the game N times or read walkthroughs online to find all the various options.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Haba said:
Andyman Messiah said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Boredom.

Translation: There are liek words and shit but none of 'dem words be fam-i-lushar liek "SHIT" and "POOP". Dunno what 'dem words means but musta be suckin 'dem OBSIDISHIT COCK then. TESFAGS LOLOLOLOL!!11
Shitcock: the movie the game the comic book

ZbojLamignat

Educated
The part when you speak like a retard to the Follower in Helios one and he just replies in a normal way is, nomen omen, really :retarded:

I have the New Vegas Prima guide and checked what influences the quests:
Only about 2-4% of all quests your SPECIAL stats will be checked.
Only about 1-2% of all quests your <Faction reputation> will be checked
The rest(over 90%)is done by skillchecks.

This is obvious to anyone who played it/finished it but now it's a fact.

Relay

Educated
NV follows in the wake of Beth dumbing down and didn't get any better.

Remember how Fallout worked ? Some of the quests not only had hefty SPECIAL requirements, it had multiple check on a single instance on some occasions ! just putting points in science wouldn't cut it if you didn't have high intelligence.

Andyman Messiah said:
SimpleComplexity said:
I have the New Vegas Prima guide
And we all know what an accurate source of information Prima guides are.
How about we let facts vs opinons collide.
qhvux0lfazzrk9iwa5c.gif

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That flow-chart is actually WRONG. You cannot talk to Mortimer UNLESS you have Neutral Fame (or less) with the Strip.

FAIL.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
"If you can tolerate the [censored] graphics and boring gameplay(but doesnt have to walk a miles like in new fallout) you should try Fallout 2, its the best.. not mention that i hate the gameplay it's too old school."
These Xenos are truly disgusting.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
CENB71 said:
If you can tolerate the [censored] graphics and boring gameplay(but doesnt have to walk a miles like in new fallout) you should try Fallout 2, its the best.. not mention that i hate the gameplay it's too old school.
Subsequently:
CENB71 said:
Hope devs read this :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom