Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas Predictions

empi

Augur
Sooo, New Vegas comes out in less than a month and I'm wondering what the Codex predicts it will be like. Will it be fapped over by the gaming press but actually just be the same dissapointing experience Fallout 3 provided us with? Will it be rejected by major gaming press for having too much words, or having a stupidly difficult hardcore mode, but in fact be a massive :incline: both for Obsidian and for the Fallout series. Will Obsidian be given the license for a further spinoff outing?

In my opinion it will be a better game than Fallout 3, i'd lose a lot of faith in Obsidian if it wasn't, but will still be definately lacking when compared to the dizzying heights of the first two games. There are some inherant problems with using the same system and engine as Fallout 3, but I also think that even if they used a system much more faithful to the original formula the end result would still be dissapointing. Modern gaming audiences have changed, flashy bloom-filled game are taking over where the more "cool" stuff like shiny guns the game has the better. The decline of RPGs is happening increasingy rapidly with just a few last bastions of hope. Fallout New Vegas is the biggest game that I think could produce a decent RPG in the near future, and if it can be a good RPG and well recieved it possibly has some hope of inspiring a few people to try out some of the classics (Everyone thinks Obsidian made Fallout 1 and 2 afterall), but I'm probably just being too optimistic.

What do YOU think?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
My predcition is it likely will be than AP and FO3 but still won't be all that great. But, all that doesn't matter since I won't be buying the game until I can find it for less than $20 since after AP Obdiian doesn't deserve my money and after the shity ES series, Bethesda doesn't deserve my money either.

Obsidian has one mopre chance to show that they are wortha full pirce purchase when DS3 comes out.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition which gives me the right to break into Sawyer's house and shit on his pillow if it sucks.

That said, my taste in RPGs is wildly different from nearly everyone's here. I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3 would be in my top 10 rpgs list. As long as the exploration element is good, it would be very difficult for Obsidian to fuck it up. I don't care about writing or story, since I never expected quality in that department. It's a Fallout game after all. :smug:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"it would be very difficult for Obsidian to fuck it up."

Is that a dare? :retarded:

Multi-headed Cow

I'm probably going to dislike it just like all Obsidian games, but I'm going to ask for it for Christmas anyway since it's a Fallout game and I want it. If it turns out to be the first genuinely good Obsidian game and a good Fallout game then I'll be happy as shit.

CrimHead

Scholar
I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3

deliverance03.jpg

WE DON'T LIKE YER KIND AROUND HERE, BOY

deliverance-3.jpg

bhlaab

Erudite
It's going to be the best Fallout game since Fallout 2. But then again so was Fallout 3. The bar is not high.

The press won't hype it as much because it is a sequel and Obsidian doesn't hold the same PR weight as Bethesda. Expect most reviews to be along the lines of: "They improved everything over Fallout 3. Here is a lower score than Fallout 3."
Also every review will have at least one line that says "Obsidian had a great opportunity to improve the graphics, but strangely did not choose to do so" revealing that the gaming press thinks that game development is as easy as tightening up the graphics on level 3.

Most people on the Codex will like it but say that they hated it.

hiver

Vast improvements in dialogue, story, game mechanics like reputation system, skill checks and overall usability of different skills in action and through dialogue.

Vast improvements in quest structure.

God awful combat and enemy AI.

retardedness of VIVAAAA LAS VEGAS! setting and inappropriate "lulzy" scenes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There'll be good aspects and bad aspects. Possibly "great for what it is" or at least "better for what it is than what Fallout 3 was." Glitches galore. It'll inspire a lot of cognitive dissonance with fans rushing to its defense glossing over its bad points, with anti-fans doing the opposite. But most importantly, it'll be a slam dunk.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It will be significantly better than Fallout 3 since dialogue is being written by a company far more competent than Bethesda, though that isn't saying much. Still, OE can write and has shown it in the past. Furthermore, since a game engine is already done, we don't have to worry about OE making a shit(ter) game engine: all they gotta do is super mod the game, write dialogue and focus on gameplay. Will it be better than Fallout 1 and Fallout 2? I doubt it and while such a thing is possible I just don't see it happening. Considering that child killing is going to be censored out, it makes you wonder what other aspects will be toned down to avoid media radar meters.

Considering that child killing is going to be censored out, it makes you wonder what other aspects will be toned down to avoid media radar meters.

Well, you still could sell that kid into slavery (probably other ones too, didn't try), nuke a town where some kids lived, and use (fantasy) drugs and booze, so I guess if something's censored it'll be just really obvious media-magnets like onscreen child killing and rape.

pero said:
I guess I just hope they're intending to provide something more substantial than a masturbation aid for people who are really proud of their ability to eat regularly in computer games.

Someone in SA thinks that it will make it harder to be a nice guy since you have to scavenge and worry about yourself instead of just casually collecting water bottles and dumping them into a beggar. Evil characters would also have a justification for killing and stealing other than "for the lulz". I hope so, sounds nice.

pero

Novice
I was really enthusiastic, but what I've read about it recently kinda quells the hope I had. One of the things that concerns me - something that seems to appeal to everyone else - is the hardcore mode. I know it's optional and I absolutely intend to try the game both with it and without it, but it seems like an attempt to reintroduce the feeling of survival to the games through the mechanics rather than the atmosphere. I guess I just hope they're intending to provide something more substantial than a masturbation aid for people who are really proud of their ability to eat regularly in computer games.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAY WILL PLAY IT TEN TIMES TO ENSURE THAT HE CAN PRONOUNCE IT AS WORST GAME EVER

DriacKin

Arbiter
My prediction is that the game will be an overwhelming financial success. It'll easily be Obsudian's most successful game, which is something they desperately need.

I was thinking of slavers' quips to female slaves, character backstories*, etc. Not onscreen, tasteful child rape.

*which reminds me, adult rape was covertly mentioned with Megaton's Jericho / Jenny, and child rape with Jericho / Maggie (she mentions her dad repeatedly tells her not to go near Jericho...and if you break into his house, there's a teddy bear on the corner, probably because he couldn't find candy). I think the bar owner also wrote on his terminal that he suspects the girl's dad uses her for something more than house chores.

So yeah, I imagine they'll censor only really obvious stuff, since the above was fine.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
NV will be riddled with bugs and nearly unplayable. Factions will be extremely shallow. Combat will suck.

Multi-headed Cow

Zed said:
NV will be riddled with bugs and nearly unplayable. Factions will be extremely shallow. Combat will suck.
Codex will love it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Clockwork Knight said:
It will rape my beloved franchise! But no one sees it but me!

bawb.jpg

So has Gantz ended, or is it still one chapter per month?

soggie

Educated
Pretty much. The story's getting interesting now, with humans being alien food.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom