Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Witcher 3 "Killing Monsters" trailer (CD Projekt cannot into countdowns)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Considering that he didn't get the sword, I was sure he'd just KO all of them and ride off. The sudden knife action was somewhat dumb.

Shannow

Waster of Time
If they had simply done the execution more orderly and official-looking, with out the beating, nobody'd have cared.
Damn Poles are clearly just trying to show how execution (pun intended) matters more than the act itself--> Moral ambiguity!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering that he didn't get the sword, I was sure he'd just KO all of them and ride off. The sudden knife action was somewhat dumb.

That may have been a better choice, but I can understand the knifing in the context of him losing control over himself and realizing it had become a life-or-death battle. He did try to knock them out at first.

Also, "I can understand if you don't get it", seriously? Passive aggressive much?

Not at all. I just realize that different people have slightly different interpretations of social cues.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sitting idly for a reason. It's better to sit Idly than taking the risk of fighting 5 thugs head on (granted the fight looked relatively easy to make Hero look cool), and risking a friction with their faction or whatever else killing them implies."

Oh come on. This is Twitcher. geralt is a fukkin' demi god. You really think a handful of pathetic thugs can beat him? FUCK OFF. He was never at risk hence why he was not acting heroic.

Grinolf

Arcane
Yes, that talk really going in very wrong direction. The fact, that Geralt interfered in sitution even after all that talks about not wanting to choose either evil, is consistent with his character. The real problem that trailer didn't give any information to decide about who are more evil in that situation. So it seems like Geralt decision was based solely on sex and looks of both sides and not actual deeds.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
or.. how about the fact he saw a bunch of people ganging up and physically assaulting a single unarmed person. That is definitely looking at the deeds.

Servo

Arcane
Sitting idly for a reason. It's better to sit Idly than taking the risk of fighting 5 thugs head on (granted the fight looked relatively easy to make Hero look cool), and risking a friction with their faction or whatever else killing them implies.

But at that point we're no longer talking about morality, we're talking about convenience. If the idea behind the game was that you are supposed to do nothing, not get involved or whatever, then the neutral option would just be the "I win" option.

What makes it interesting (and closer to a proper RPG) is that there's no cut and dry best option. Again, only because everyone in The Witcher is such a douche. I do wish they'd come up with a more clever way to make things morally ambiguous than "everybody sucks." How about an instance where there are several parties that don't suck, all of whom you'd like to help and none of whom you wish to alienate?

AHAHAHAHAHAAHA

That trailer is so awesome considering this quote from The Last Wish:

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski said:
“My first monster, Iola, was bald and had exceptionally rotten teeth. I came across him on the highway where, with some fellow monsters, deserters, he'd stopped a peasant's cart and pulled out a little girl, maybe thirteen years old. His companions held her father while the bald man tore off her dress, yelling it was time for her to meet a real man. I rode up and said the time had come for him, too – I thought I was very witty. The bald monster released the girl and threw himself at me with an axe. He was slow but tough. I hit him twice – not clean cuts, but spectacular, and only then did he fall. His gang ran away when they saw what a witcher's sword could do to a man.... Am I boring you, Iola? I need this, I really do need it. Where was I? My first noble deed. You see, they'd told me again and again in Kaer Morhen not to get involved in such incidents, not to play at being knight errant or uphold the law. Not to show off, but to work for money. And I joined this fight like an idiot, not fifty miles from the mountains. And do you know why? I wanted the girl, sobbing with gratitude, to kiss her savior on the hands, and her father to thank me on his knees. In reality her father fled with his attackers, and the girl, drenched in the bald man's blood, threw up, became hysterical and fainted in fear when I approached her. Since then, I've only very rarely interfered in such matters.”

:lol: Way to miss the point, CDProjekt :lol:
How? That's exactly the point. Geralt has always been quite terrible at sticking with the alleged "code of conduct" for Witchers and his supposed neutrality.

Liston

Augur
Instead of an inner monologue, they did it more subtly - Vesemir's chiding ("at least do it quickly!") and Geralt's reluctance to use his sword.

I think that Vesemir's objections (he also tells Geralt not to interfere at the beggining) and Geralt's reluctance are about Wither's code that dictates neutrality and not about inner monologue. That's the usual theme in The Witcher, Geralt gets all emotional and breaks neutrality rule, it makes much more sense that Vesemir is going to school him about that than about choosing between two evils.

Geralt's narration (that wasn't inner monologue IMO) just seems out of place because he (emotionally) preaches about his uncompromising moral standards and as soon as he finishes he makes morally questionable decision (assuming that the girl is guilty and that he let her go as the trailer implies).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AHAHAHAHAHAAHA

“My first monster, Iola, was bald and had exceptionally rotten teeth. I came across him on the highway where, with some fellow monsters, deserters, he'd stopped a peasant's cart and pulled out a little girl, maybe thirteen years old. His companions held her father while the bald man tore off her dress, yelling it was time for her to meet a real man. I rode up and said the time had come for him, too – I thought I was very witty. The bald monster released the girl and threw himself at me with an axe. He was slow but tough. I hit him twice – not clean cuts, but spectacular, and only then did he fall. His gang ran away when they saw what a witcher's sword could do to a man.... Am I boring you, Iola? I need this, I really do need it. Where was I? My first noble deed. You see, they'd told me again and again in Kaer Morhen not to get involved in such incidents, not to play at being knight errant or uphold the law. Not to show off, but to work for money. And I joined this fight like an idiot, not fifty miles from the mountains. And do you know why? I wanted the girl, sobbing with gratitude, to kiss her savior on the hands, and her father to thank me on his knees. In reality her father fled with his attackers, and the girl, drenched in the bald man's blood, threw up, became hysterical and fainted in fear when I approached her. Since then, I've only very rarely interfered in such matters.”

How? That's exactly the point. Geralt has always been quite terrible at sticking with the alleged "code of conduct" for Witchers and his supposed neutrality.

Yeah, I don't see the point here. Geralt can still be moved by his misguided idealism even if he finds that it finds no positive answer in the actual world. I think the is the point of this character - he knows trying to be a hero is nonsense, he's cynical and bitter, he knows he's only doing it not because of some grand code of honor but because he thinks the girl is good looking and he had a bad day and this scum needs a beatdown. He knows all this, he knows he's a piece of shit in a shit world, but he doesn't care, he's still going to try to be the hero, agaisnt himself, agaisnt his better judgement, because that's how it's going to be, someone has to care sometimes, even for the wrong reasons, even if it's just appearances, someone has to do something. And by something, I mean tearing up a bunch of ugly guys in cool slow-motion action, hell fucking yeah

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Geralt's narration (that wasn't inner monologue IMO) just seems out of place because he (emotionally) preaches about his uncompromising moral standards and as soon as he finishes he makes morally questionable decision (assuming that the girl is guilty and that he let her go as the trailer implies).

Hmm. Allow me to refine my intepretation.

I think that when Geralt says, "I don't want to make a choice", what he really means is, "I don't want to make a rational choice. Because both choices are horrible. I don't want to think about this shit anymore." It fits the theme of an older, wearier Geralt who is sick and tired of the "lesser evil" bullshit.

So instead, he abdicates rationality and lets his instincts take over. In effect, he makes the irrational choice of rescuing the peasant woman - who wouldn't? And appropriately to that, instead of using his sword, which would require skill and concentration, he beats the Nilfgaardians up like an animal.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just hope you can then murder and rape her after the rescue.
In that order?

troll_8.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
This was just boring, I was just thinking: Don't save the woman, don't save the woman, at least, one time for a change then he goes fantasy hero 101. It is not that he choosing to save the woman was something wrong, it was just a nobrainer, he is a killing machine and knew that those guys didn't had a chance.He wasn't risking his life and the only possible consequence would be an abstract hostility,far away on future if people managed to discover that it was him that killed the russian dirty rapey squad, if someone even cared about them. This whole thing smelled like Bioware Good/Psycho choice. If you saw a guy that you met in the camp, a great character, charismatic and all, that you already think him as your bro, he even saved your life once, raping a girl from the enemy that is something considerated normal in the culture at the time, that would be a moral decision. You stay quiet and be almost as guilty as him as you could easily stop him or risking intervening and killing him when you knew he was just a product of the time and there were thousands like him, it is so easy to kill generic evil looking guys. In 2 min, you can't show something more complicated but I felt that the money wasted on the CGI was pointless as the whole thing was just boring, almost reaching Biowarian levels of boring. In that trailer, they could had substituted Geralt with captain Mary Sue Shepard and it wouldn't make any difference.

Liston

Augur
Hmm. Allow me to refine my intepretation.

I think that when Geralt says, "I don't want to make a choice", what he really means is, "I don't want to make a rational choice. Because both choices are equally horrible. I don't want to think about this shit anymore." It fits the theme of an older, wearier Geralt who is sicked and tired of the "lesser evil" bullshit.

So instead, he abdicates rationality and lets his instincts take over. In effect, he makes the irrational choice of rescuing the peasant woman - who wouldn't? And appropriately to that, instead of using his sword, which would require skill and concentration, he beats the Nilfgaardians up like an animal.

Yeah, I watched the trailer again and it can definitely be interpreted that way. Also just to clarify I didn't want to imply that he should leave the girl to her fate, I just got the impression from his monologue that he is going to punish all evil. Although that is all coloured by my bias because I was expecting something like that from the begging of the trailer, your interpretation leaves a lot less inconsistencies.

Quilty

Magister
"Sitting idly for a reason. It's better to sit Idly than taking the risk of fighting 5 thugs head on (granted the fight looked relatively easy to make Hero look cool), and risking a friction with their faction or whatever else killing them implies."

Oh come on. This is Twitcher. geralt is a fukkin' demi god. You really think a handful of pathetic thugs can beat him? FUCK OFF. He was never at risk hence why he was not acting heroic.

Ever since I joined the codex I've never seen you use the built-in quote option. Never. It is time to end this unnatural behavior.

Regarding the trailer, the CGI was insane, loved the technical aspect of it. Shame it missed the whole point of grey area.

MasPingon

Arcane
AHAHAHAHAHAAHA

And that isn't even an obscure reference, it's one of the more well-known quotes from the books. Anyway, I predict more storyfapping material with terrible action combat is afoot. If the open world crushes the storyfapping thereby destroying the only good remaining thing in the series, I shall lament it to no end :salute:

Do you know you are the one missing the point?:balance:

And appropriately to that, instead of using his sword, which would require skill and concentration, he beats the Nilfgaardians up like an animal.

I think he gave them a choice, they could just walked away after he used the sign. He wanted to show them, by going unequipped, that he didn't want to kill them. That would be more like Geralt.

Last edited:

Thoric

Novice
AHAHAHAHAHAAHA

And that isn't even an obscure reference, it's one of the more well-known quotes from the books. Anyway, I predict more storyfapping material with terrible action combat is afoot. If the open world crushes the storyfapping thereby destroying the only good remaining thing in the series, I shall lament it to no end :salute:

The story is about Geralt's first encounter with the reality that he'll always be perceived as a monster hunting other monsters rather than a valiant sword-wielding hero, and the realization that if he saves a life the reward is that he saved a life, not laurels and teary peasant gratitude. It's not the origin story of how he became a nihilist, because he's really not one. He says "Since then, I've only very rarely interfered in such matters.” and rare is quite the understatement. There's the Blaviken incident that got Geralt banned from a region and gave him a quite unprofessional nickname, two occasions where he's went against a lynch mob, one of which got him killed, and countless times where he's thrown himself into harm's way without asking for payment, or spared and helped cursed folk and sentient "monsters" he could've cashed in on. He regrets it, beats himself up about and tries to get rid of that part of his character, but ultimately can't stand by while decent people get hurt and killed.

TL;DR he's always been Neutral Good with a shoddy Lawful Neutral facade only the lowest INT characters can't see through and the trailer is not inconsistent with the books.

ColCol

Arcane

wasn't Geralt murdered by farmers? Either way Geralt had to kill those people in the trailer, or else he would not get ay experience.

Diablo169

Arcane
It's Geralt. He only saved her so he can fuck her later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom