Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, Piko Interactive, Ziggurat, Pixel Games and others rereleasing classic games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Retroism rerelease Microprose's European Air War. Previously only on GOG:

ss_92173f2f794ac5cb017289ecea6ab4622e126479.600x338.jpg
ss_6c85d96a2fc49b5ebf98b3f81ecc74c2c31c2127.600x338.jpg

And Pixel Games does The Horace Trilogy, a bundle of Hungry Horace, Horace Goes Skiing, and Horace and the Spiders:

ss_fd10d9fab32c985042e92e3fcc6effc627b2a1f9.600x338.jpg
ss_c4496db057eb8723bf29959cbe7d8e1806e12a58.600x338.jpg

This is funny because they already released Hungry and Skiing on Steam as reconstructed versions in Unity. But this bundle version apparently has emulated versions.

Nifft Batuff

Cipher
These old games have been circulating freely for years. You can play them in your browser in archive.org and in many other preservation sites. There were made also many remakes during the years. They are free too. Many of these remakes could be considered vintage too now.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
These old games have been circulating freely for years. You can play them in your browser in archive.org and in many other preservation sites. There were made also many remakes during the years. They are free too. Many of these remakes could be considered vintage too now.
Assuming you can find those remakes. A lot of them are from the wild west of uploading games to the internet where nearly every place where these games were uploaded to just doesn't exist anymore. You have to hope someone uploaded them to the Internet Archive, or failing that, got the webpage it was originally on in the Wayback Machine. And in a lot of cases, its not really that much better than playing the game in an emulator.

RaggleFraggle

Educated
I would love to see Theatrix’s Hollywood and Hollywood High return on GOG. Loved it as a kid. There’s a code you can use to share assets between them, which I wish I had back in the day.

Nifft Batuff

Cipher
Assuming you can find those remakes. A lot of them are from the wild west of uploading games to the internet where nearly every place where these games were uploaded to just doesn't exist anymore. You have to hope someone uploaded them to the Internet Archive, or failing that, got the webpage it was originally on in the Wayback Machine. And in a lot of cases, its not really that much better than playing the game in an emulator.
Yes, but this was my point. These games have been already available for so long (decades) and are in general so old, that even their remakes can be considered retro/vintage now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Pixel Games releases Gremlin Graphics/Gremlin Interactive's early games.

ss_a9063744c76214db181854b65efee541d8aa39ec.600x338.jpg
ss_5082a671daf9d6f63bfce711cdfb49db56a93604.600x338.jpg

For more info on the Monty Mole-games in general, here's a link to an old post of mine.

The big question about these releases is: Which version are they emulating?
'Wanted: Monty Mole' only came out on the ZX Spectrum and the C-64, but the two versions are different enough to be separate entities. Screenshots suggest they're releasing the Speccy-version.

The problem with 'Monty on the Run' is that it came out on those systems plus the Amstrad CPC and the Commodore 16/+4... but the screenshots above are from the Amstrad and Spectrum-versions, respectively. This is concerning because the Speccy-version doesn't have the infamous title tune, and the Amstrad has an inferior version of it. For the ultimate experience they have to release the C-64 version... which I'm uncertain whether they'll do.

Bounder is a quirky little game that seems to suffer from drastic gameplay changes depending upon which version one plays. The Amstrad CPC-version (pictured in the second screenshot) is actually quite easy to beat once the gameplay mechanics are figured out, but I'm hearing the C-64 version is unforgiving in its difficulty.

As the first screenshot is from the Spectrum-version, and all three games were released on the Speccy, I have a sinking feeling that's the versions they'll be emulating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom