Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Nival gets eaten

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Nival Interactive

<A href="http://www.nival.com/">Nival</a> is apparently getting aquired by <a href="http://www.ener1group.com">Ener1 Group</a>, per <a href="http://www.nival.com/press/2005/2566/">this press release</a>. Here's the full thing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Ener1 Group to Acquire Game Developer Nival Interactive
<br>
US company leverages Russia’s largest game developer to produce next generation console and wireless games</b>
<br>
<br>
Ft. Lauderdale, FL - April 6, 2005 – Ener1 Group, a technology holding company, announced today that its affiliate has signed an agreement to acquire Moscow-based Nival Interactive LLC., Russia’s largest video game developer. Ener1 Group plans to integrate Nival Interactive’s creative studio of 140 artists, designers and programmers with its US-based video gaming interests to develop next generation console and wireless games. Ener1 Group also announced that Sergey Orlovskiy, Nival Interactive CEO and Founder, has been named President of the new company, called Nival Inc., which will be based in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
<br>
<br>
"Ener1 Group has been looking for the right opportunity to expand its video game operations. We believe that Nival Interactive is the ideal platform and that Sergey Orlovskiy is the ideal person to expand the new company and the Nival Interactive brand as we continue to grow through future acquisitions," said Mike Zoi, President of Ener1 Group.
<br>
<br>
He adds, "Sergey is an exceptional leader who has built his company from the ground up and it is now selling millions of video games throughout Europe and the rest of the world. He has assembled one of the most talented creative teams and his ability to land distribution and development deals with leading publishers such as Ubisoft shows his strong business acumen."
<br>
<br>
Nival, Inc. will combine the artistic strengths and the economies of scale offered by an offshore production team with the cultural and linguistic expertise of North American game developers to create next generation console (Xbox 2 and PlayStation 3) and wireless games with universal appeal. Ener1 Group will also provide the company with entry into the Japanese market, one of the world’s biggest and fastest growing markets for video and wireless games.
<br>
<br>
Sergey Orlovskiy, President of Nival, Inc., stated, "This partnership provides both our companies with the optimal solution for accomplishing our mutual goals. Ener1 Group’s resources and international presence will accelerate Nival’s strategy for growth, developing exceptional and creative content for the interactive entertainment industry, exploring new distribution opportunities and attracting top talent in the global marketplace."
<br>
<br>
Founded in 1996, Nival Interactive has developed eight internationally marketed entertainment titles, including Blitzkrieg published by CDV, a game that has sold more than a million copies worldwide and set new standards for WWII games and the RTS genre; and the award-winning Silent Storm series. The company recently announced it is developing game five of the legendary franchise Heroes of Might and Magic for Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers.
<br>
<br>
Nival Interactive has achieved critical acclaim both at home and abroad winning Best Developer 2005 at the Russian Game Developers Conference as well as numerous Game of the Month and Game of the Year awards for its game titles.
<br>
<br>
<b>About Ener1 Group</b>
<br>
Ener1 Group, a privately held, diversified technology investment holding company, understands how to turn ideas into profits. Through its portfolio of companies, which range from start-ups to public companies, Ener1 Group offers a range of exciting new technologies that are poised to make significant contributions to a variety of industries. For more information about Ener1 Group, Inc., visit <A href="http://www.ener1group.com">www.ener1group.com</a>.
<br>
<br>
<b>About Nival Interactive</b>
<br>
Nival Interactive is Russia’s leading game developer, and also the largest, with four development teams and staff of over 140 dedicated professionals and true game enthusiasts. Since its inception in 1996, Nival Interactive has gained worldwide recognition from both press and gamers thanks to its impressive lineup of highly successful titles including the Rage of Mages, Etherlords, Blitzkrieg and Silent Storm series, backed by a genuine commitment to creativity and innovation. For more information about Nival Interactive, visit <A href="http://www.nival.com">www.nival.com</a>.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, that's a pisser. I can't imagine the people who came up with the name <i>Ener1</i> being a pillar of creative energy. Console and cell phone games? Gah.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the bad news, <b>Odin</b> of <A href="Http://www.nma-fallout.net">NMA</a>!
<br>

Surlent

Liturgist
Does this mean Heroes of Might and Magic 5 is in jeopardy to get cancelled ?? Or be last of its kind ?

kathode

Novice
Developer
Sounds like a good thing to me. If anything it probably means they're more stable and have more cash to toss wherever they might need it. I don't see what the need is to romanticize the plight of any game developer based in Moscow. It's not like EA ate them or anything.

Odin

Novice
kathode said:
Sounds like a good thing to me. If anything it probably means they're more stable and have more cash to toss wherever they might need it. I don't see what the need is to romanticize the plight of any game developer based in Moscow. It's not like EA ate them or anything.

The problem I see is the fact that the press release soly focuses on consoles and wireless games, which means us grumpy old PC users won't see much action. It's also obvious that they won't be making those special niche games that we love, ala Silent Storm.

I can see it now Silent Storm Extreeeeeme... tha new MMORPG..no wait, MMOXORPG...

onerobot

Scholar
This doesn't have to be completely bad. Nival's consistently made good, creative games for a niche market, so maybe they'll make some good mainstream games. Hopefully it won't be allconsole though, since no one here will probably be able to play them.

Or maybe Ener1 will pull the leash too tight and slowly strangle Nival until they realease a couple of mediocre yet slightly innovative titles and faill to make enough to keep the origional team interested enough to keep from drifting to other developement houses. Who knows.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
MMOXORPG?

Whats the second O for? I get the X is Xtreeeeme... is it Ownage? Massive Multiplayer Online Xtreeeeme Ownage Role Playing Game? Sound like a winner! Where can I sign up for the beta?

Mangler

Novice
WHAT!?! :evil: :shock:

Nival was talking about getting a new publisher for a while...I did not think it could get worse than JoWooD... I was wrong. :cry: damm. there goes SS3 and its expansion pack...

Screaming_life

Liturgist
kathode said:

consoles = bad

elderscrolls4.jpg

:P

Mangler

Novice
well if you can't beat em' join em'.

But just what the heck does this Ener1 group conglomerate care about a russian AAA-class game developer. Ener1 makes fuel cells, batteries, interactive kiosk type things for hospitals and other unrelated stuff.

this is VERY strange imho.

I fear the worst. I think ener1 has big plans for Nival.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Odin said:
The problem I see is the fact that the press release soly focuses on consoles and wireless games, which means us grumpy old PC users won't see much action. It's also obvious that they won't be making those special niche games that we love, ala Silent Storm.

I can see it now Silent Storm Extreeeeeme... tha new MMORPG..no wait, MMOXORPG...

Yup, I'm with Odin on this. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if the press release didn't specifically say they were going to be producing the next generation console and wireless games. If "PC" was in there, I still wouldn't like it because Nival is pretty much PC only, but since PC isn't mentioned at all.. rabblerabblerabblerabble!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
[rabblerabblerabblerabble!

For some reason, when I read that I imagined your avatar just running around like the Python Vorpal Bunny, frothing at the mouth, and chewing away furniture.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I agree it sucks. But Ubi picked a good company in Nival before it got bought, and if HoMM 5 sells, Ubi will find another good company for HoMM 6 if Nival has backed out of PCs by then. I wouldn't worry about HoMM as a series.

If its brand name and popularity survived Number Four, it can survive changing developer hands again. Just as long as it doesn't entirely lose its unique character, of course.

Ryuken

Liturgist
PennyAnte said:
I agree it sucks. But Ubi picked a good company in Nival before it got bought, and if HoMM 5 sells, Ubi will find another good company for HoMM 6 if Nival has backed out of PCs by then. I wouldn't worry about HoMM as a series.
You mean Triumph Studios (Age of Wonders) with that other good company? Because I can't see much other options (Warlords-developer has lost it after Warlords 3).

About Nival; just wait and see. This is as much surprising as Sega took over TCA.

Balor

Arcane
Ok, fresh news from the front:
1. No one is going to cancel any active projects.
2. Nival will not switch to console-only. They will switch from PC-only to multiplatform development... and since new generation consoles will be on par with high-end computer for a long time to come, we should not fear them being dumbed-down in terms of graphics (and, I guess, controls too).
3. That Ener1 thingy is, in fact, owned by some Russian oligarch :).
4. Another reason to bomb Russia.? I'd say that's an other reason to bomb US :P.
Of course it makes me a bit sad - but unfortunately, that's the trend that cannot be ignored.
All in all, it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm sure that with extra funding and recourses at their disposal, they'll be able to keep up with providing AAA class PC games AND AAA class console titles, and/or multi-platform type games.
Especially, having in mind that porting a game is much easier then creating it from scratch.
That's being optimistic, heh. But it sounds quite realistic. Of course, I'm a bit saddened that they couldn't continue existing as a solely Russian developer... but that's, I guess, too much to ask.
And besides, I guess they'll be free to chart their own course more or less - exactly because:
Ener1 makes fuel cells, batteries, interactive kiosk type things for hospitals and other unrelated stuff.
. They've thought that buying Nival, that was prosperous on it's own is a good investment, and with extra cash they'll be able to make even more profit... with Nival running the business by themselfs - since they were good at it before they got bought. Sounds reasonalbe.

Balor

Arcane
Same here. But I hope that it's a mistake on reporter part - making it sound like Nival is packing it's stuff and moving to US to make console-only titles. If fact, it's none of above.

Slaughter

Educated
I almost had a heart attack when I read this at Blue's! So I contacted Nival, and Dmitry "Wolf_Pack" Kolpakov had this to say: "Keep calm, PC branch will stay intact :)"

That did make me feel somewhat better, but in the long run I doubt it will be so. We can only hope... At least their present projects isn't in danger.

spacemoose

Erudite
Balor said:
with Nival running the business by themselfs - since they were good at it before they got bought. Sounds reasonalbe.

A source for this might be nice.

But I believe you anyway, maybe it won't be so bad at all. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Ener1 Group is run by a Russian oligarch. It's not really an American group, but it's based in the US.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom