Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NON-GOG DRM Free Version of The Witcher 2 Details

a budda

Arbiter
Blackadder said:
No, they should go back to using a simple CD/DVD check. No online component.

I am glad my Troika games didn't have this online checking rubbish, otherwise I would have to sail the seven seas in order to play them today.

yes, it's actually a big fucking problem, some people don't live in cities and all the internetz they can manage is 2kB/s
you can imagine the rage at downloading even 50MBs

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
a budda said:
Blackadder said:

I am glad my Troika games didn't have this online checking rubbish, otherwise I would have to sail the seven seas in order to play them today.

yes, it's actually a big fucking problem, some people don't live in cities and all the internetz they can manage is 2kB/s

Oh come on. It doesn't take more than a couple of hours even with a fucking dial-up connection.

a budda

Arbiter
Toffeli said:
a budda said:
Blackadder said:

Oh come on. It doesn't take more than a couple of hours even with a fucking dial-up connection.

couple of hours... when you've just come back home from a few hours trip to shops and with sweaty fingers unpack the box to finally play :M

or...

have waited a few days for the postman to finally arrive (two hours later than he usually does by the way) and with sweaty fingers unpack the box to finally play :M

aries202

Erudite
This is exactly like the drm for DA2, the game will use Securom's release control -ahem- software. And the rest of the drm is exactly the same...as DA2. As for the internet connection thing, I'm not really that worried, because as time goes on, I have come to loathe having ti play with the disc in the drive.

made

Arcane
aries202 said:
This is exactly like the drm for DA2
Except that CDPR announce one month in advance that it will use securom, while Bioware tried to deny the fact even weeks after release.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bruticis said:
Isn't the DRM strategy typically determined by the publisher, not the developer?
Yes, which is why the GOG version (distributed by CDP's sister company) is DRM-free.

TBH I still trust CDP enough to release a patch removing the protection soon afterwards. After all, unlike other companies that claim they will do this if they ever go bankrupt, CDP has done this, and they didn't need to go bankrupt to do it. The very existence of the GOG versions (well, of all of GOG really) speaks well of their intentions too.

Still, now that they've actually gone on record saying this is purely to prevent leaks... they'll have to remove the activation within a short time after release date if they don't want to end up being hypocritical.

made said:
Except that CDPR announce one month in advance that it will use securom, while Bioware tried to deny the fact even weeks after release.
Not to mention they were denying the existence of an activation even as people were phoning it to complain about being unable to activate...

Besides, doesn't DA2 use limited activations, unlike TW2's unlimited one?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Gerrard said:
Gordon Freeman said:
terastodon_1.jpg
"enters the battlefield" still sounds fucking retarded.
Really? Good to know. Since I lern English phrases from things like that, I'd be bound to use it one day or the other. Mayby already did. Anyway, thanks for the hint. Would "steps into battlefield" sound better?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Besides, doesn't DA2 use limited activations, unlike TW2's unlimited one?
I think so, plus you have to be online to play or at least to validate your DLC. This isn't the same at all, especially as there was no digital download version with no DRM at all available, as there is with Twitcher2.

User was nabbed fit

I am very butthurt because I regularly install my games on more than five computers at once.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I'll take the non drm version thank you very much, as much as i appreciate what CD Projekt is doing for me the only physical copy version of the witcher i would ever purchase is the overly expensive collector's version and from the responses to questions about it by the devs i have a feeling that high price for it was not their idea but the publisher.
So GOG digital version here i come.

Yeesh

Magister
ortucis said:
Heh...

Good Old Games: DRM is ineffective, can cause piracy

Digital Rights Management is a thorny issue among gamers, one that's likely not going away anytime soon. The chaps at Good Old Games, however, have long boasted of their DRM-free PC titles, and there's a reason for it -- the company doesn't believe in its usefulness.

"What I will say isn’t popular in the gaming industry, but in my opinion DRM drives people to pirate games rather than prevent them from doing that," said PR and marketing manager Lukasz Kukawski.
Because I want to hear about cause and effect from a marketing and PR guy. That's like science right there.

Hey, this isn't popular with historians, but in my opinion piracy on the high seas in the fifteenth through eighteenth centuries was caused by excessive tariffs. Because why else would somebody decide to steal something instead of paying for it?*

"Would you rather spend $50 on a game that requires installing malware on your system, or to stay online all the time and crashes every time the connection goes down, or would you rather download a cracked version without all that hassle?
I can only speak for myself, but you had me at $50. But I know I'm not like most people because I wouldn't want to "buy" every game I play, whereas all other PC gamers would love to spend the hundreds of extra dollars to legitimately pay for the games they play each year, if it weren't for that damned DRM holding them back on principle. I'm sure that they donate the money to charity instead, since while they don't want the game companies to get it, they wouldn't feel right about keeping the cash when they're getting the entertainment they'd otherwise be happy to buy if the game companies weren't being so rude.

I'm not like that. I keep the money.

All I know is, GOG seems to be doing just fine, so maybe the industry should take a few lessons.
How could GOG not be doing fine? They don't make games, they mostly sell abandoned-ware, and they distribute them virtually without costs. Good for them, but let's keep in mind this whole Witcher 2 thing is an experiment that hasn't actually happened yet. Let's wait til it happens, and THEN rush to applaud its resounding success. I think most companies would rather follow the Blizzard model than the GOG model. Make your game in such a way that DRM or not, people actually have to pony up the cash to fully enjoy it. And then you'll be all like, cha-ching!

Counting on people to <3 <3 <3 you for being so respectful as to just trust them to pay is going to generate sales the way putting your stuff on the sidewalk with price tags and an open cash register will. I don't think anyone believes that's the future of the PC gaming transaction model. But what do I know?

*With the prevailing winds of political economic thought blowing the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually believes this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeesh said:
How could GOG not be doing fine? They don't make games, they mostly sell abandoned-ware, and they distribute them virtually without costs.

Exactly. And their tactics are somewhat similar to Valve with Steam. Obviously they don't require any GoG platform to run the game but their goal is to get more eyes on their service to sell more games off of it.

Antihero

Liturgist
Gerrard said:
DreadMessiah said:
It is perfectly fine. Enter has a lot of different uses in the english language. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enter Check out the transitive verb number six use. The other person is the retard.
Fucking newfags.
Here's what Geralt would say on that: Kurwa mać From a purely English language perspective, it sounds fine. From that of a card game, it sounds dumbed down compared to "put into play" or whatever - it's been ages since I've played the game last.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom