Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(Non-)Linearity in CRPG Stories again (RE: DG interview)

MrBrown

Liturgist
Ismaul said:
What I said is that from a role-playing point of view, this non-linearity, when not combined with a non-linear Plot (in other words, the ability to chose the order of events in the narrative with no consequence to plot), is of no direct value. Role-playing is making choices that affect the plot.

And that is, I believe, the point that VD was trying to make earlier.

Ah, I see what you mean now. This is still mostly an opinion, though. Roleplaying is extremely hard to define (and to boot, some analyses of PnP roleplaying disagree that roleplaying is only about making choices that affect the "plot").

Also, "non-linearity is desirable" and "a game that contains as much roleplaying as possible is desirable" are also both opinions.

These are valid issues to debate on, but I'd rather focus on models to measure the amount and types of non-linearity in CRPGs, not on discussions on what kind of linearity is better.

Ismaul said:
The only place we disagreed on is the association of Decision Points to non-linear Story or Plot. The idea was that Decision Points affect the Plot, therefore a game that has those posesses a non-linear Plot. Passive Contact Points affect the Plot and the Story (setting and situations change, narrative moves on), but are not coming from choices made by the PC, therefore they are not taken in account when talking about non-linearity, unless they are random.

Ok, now I see how your Passive Points and Decision Points are relative to my terms. Basically, your Passive Points include all of my Contact Points, excluding the Story ones where the player actually has a choice which are your Decision Points.

This made me realize that I made a mistake in definitions early on... That there are basically two types of non-Linear Story Events:
- Ones that are caused by non-Linear Plot Events.
- Ones that are caused by player (but not PC!) choice. These are the sandbox type stuff.

EDIT: Or again, maybe not... I'll have to think on it.

Ok, I really need to all the non-PC choice non-linearities into account too... and I probably need to separate plausability and cause alot more.

Azarkon

Arcane
MrBrown, I admit that I haven't used your terms as faithfully as I could have, since I didn't particularly agree with all of them (though they are very useful, I think, to the points you were trying to make). Rather, I appropriated them for my own views, though I used your basis as a launching point. I think that, in relation to your post, I was trying to make more sense of the terms that you briefly outlined, and in the process invented my own versions of them.

For the purpose of a meaningful discussion, it is necessary, of course, to clarify the terms. I'll begin with the most significant disjunction: Plot vs. Story. When I say that a Plot *is* the Story, what I really mean is that there is an absence of distinction between the player events and the non-player events. Therefore, by your defintion, there would be *no* Plot (or more likely, very little of it, most of which is locally contained), only Story. In a RPG narrative, this makes sense in the context of a world simulator game.

Here is where a possible confusion can easily arise: theoretically, your definitions allow for Non-Linearity of Plot, but you specifically want to ignore Non-Linearity that is unaffected by player decisions, yet you do not want to define a Plot Event as being the immediate consequence of a player decision. If I'm not wrong, I think what you're trying to portray here is a cause-effect relationship between Story Events (which are player-controlled) that through Contact Points change the Plot, thus guaranteeing "that what causes the Non-Linearity is a choice by the player, but not by the player character. " Is this right?

Another possible confusion lies in the scope of your Plot. Do you mean Plot as in the narrative outside the player's vicinity, or the sum of everything in the game world that the player does not affect? I guess you will have to define Event more clearly than an "instance of the game." In the context of a narrative, Event can simply be "what happens," but in the context of a world, it can also include what is there - a city, a NPC, a piece of lore. (Note: non-diegetic means, by Wiki's defintion, "things which occur outside the story-world," which is of course vastly confusing because you're redefining what a Story is with respect to a game. In film, a Story is merely the equivalent of the literary Narrative - it says nothing about the absence or presence of player decisions. If all you mean is the Plot is everything in the game that is NOT the Story, say so.)

Finally, I think the system I offered does account for all the sorts of Non-Linearity you've covered so far. The example you gave to Ishmaul, for example, also falls under Story Non-Linearity by my defintions, so I don't think my definitions are that far from yours. Perhaps it would be useful for you to make a chart of combinations of Linear and Non-Linear Story / Plot as I did to clarify exactly how you would measure non-linearity in CRPGs.

Some other responses...

I personally don't see any point to aspiring to a continuous non-linear plot. It's basically disregarding the strengths and weaknesses of the medium on a whim. Non-linear movies are little more than a rare experiment, because they're shoehorning a concept into a medium that doesn't fully support it, and the reward is minimal.

However, this does not hold true for every RPG. Most RPGs skimp over most of the game world. You travel between selected points of interest or else have an almost totally randomly generated world to travel in. You touched on how Fallout approached things. And that is the solution to the problem. Self-contained units within the game world. Break it down into smaller pieces where the PC's interaction will have a finite number of conclusions for the 'conclusion' of each 'piece'.

Both are very valid points, but you guys should realize that epic, continuous plots are not merely the sum of smaller plots, or else you'd be able to throw together a bunch of unrelated events and create a novel. It's also far from undesirable, as one of the things people expect in long games is plot progression over time. In fact, people often criticize certain episodic shows on TV because each episode is *too* self-contained in that there is no over-arching plot, no real character development in the course of the series.

Consider NPC development as a concrete example. It's easy to see how you would *discretize* this - simply have the player only interact with a NPC on select locales, after which the NPC disappears. Examples of this in current games typically include quest NPCs that are with you one quest and then are gone, shopkeepers, random civilians, etc. This setup is great for a "lone wolf" type of game where you're wandering from town to town, never staying long and not making any permanent contacts, but it doesn't create the sort of companionship, camaraderie, and long-term development that a NPC from a Square Enix or Bioware game (or PS:T) might have. And this is not really more realistic, either: just because in real life you typically don't travel around with the same companions in parties doesn't meant that you don't have friends or enemies who play a long-term role in the story of your life that is continuous and changing.

I'm also curious as to how to theorize about the Non-Linearity of NPCs. Something inside me says that a Non-Linear NPC would require both Non-Linearity of Story and Non-Linearity of Plot, at least by my definitions. The reason I say this is because a NPC's internal logic (ie *I like beer*, *I think the PC is stupid*, *I'm a dwarf*) is largely independent of a PC (hence leaning towards Plot) but *can* both be randomized and modified through player decisions via Contact Points (hence Non-Linear Plot). Yet, his interactions with the player via dialogue constitute Story Events and obey the same rules of Non-Linearity. That is, a true Non-Linear NPC should allow you to ask questions in any order, and shouldn't require you to follow a linear sequence of dialogue responses in order to get to a specific response. Yet any order of these questions must in and of themselves be internally plausible (unless they're utterly ridiculous contradictions, but how would you measure that?) - and that's Story Non-Linearity right there.

For a concrete example, take the aforementioned example of visiting different caves in different orders. But instead of caves, with NPCs we have dialogue trees. For example, Choice 1 might be to talk about the NPC's mother, while Choice 2 might be to ask about the NPC's father. Instead of different monsters in different caves, then, we'd have different internal logic within the NPC. Perhaps talking about his father will make him tell you about his mother, in which case Choice 2 would need to be modified to suit the fact that the conversation has already taken place. Or perhaps talking about the NPC's mother will cause him to express anger at his drunken father, which may then change his reaction to the second question, making him even antagonistic towards the PC for poking too deep into personal matters, whereas he would not have done so if the NPC had only asked about his father. Complicated stuff to implement, to be sure.

Drain

Scholar
2 cents:
MrBrown said:
Linearity in itself is a very objective term (see my original definitions), and saying that stuff that doesn't affect the Plot isn't Linearity because they don't really mean anything is not an objective viewpoint.

The problem I see with trying to identify linearity/non-linearity of the story objectively is that almost any game I can think of has non linear story by that definition. Even the simplest ones:
mario0315ok.jpg

As for the less extreme definitions, the part of disagreement lies in different non-linearity thresholds. It seems that to VD the threshold where the story may be called non-linear is higher than to MrBrown. So it might be better to avoid extremes (Linear - Nonlinear) and use instead something like (Mostly linear --> Semi linear/nonlinear --> Mostly nonlinear).

Oh, and I like the idea of developing a model to measure the amount of non linearity in CRPGs, at least when quest and dialogue decisions are concerned.

Azarkon

Arcane
I think that's a matter of defining what an Event is. I'll wait for MrBrown's own clarifications on the issue, but to me the discretization of Event is central to the degree of Non-Linearity contained in both Plot and Story. For example, one can easily argue that KOTOR has an excellent Non-Linear Plot if you discretize the Events as "what happens before the LS/DS choice" and "what happens after." Obviously, "what happens before the LS/DS" choice, or Plot Event A, leads to either Plot Event B (LS ending) or Plot Event C (DS ending). But if you take a look at the overall game and define each step of the story as an Event instead, you'll quickly realize that that 90+% of the *actual* Plot Events are strictly Linear - Plot Checkpoints, by my definition - which would mean that KOTOR really isn't a very Non-Linear game, at least in terms of Plot, at all.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I hate overarching plots and character development in tv. That's one reason I like Law & Order.

Section8

Cipher
Both are very valid points, but you guys should realize that epic, continuous plots are not merely the sum of smaller plots, or else you'd be able to throw together a bunch of unrelated events and create a novel. It's also far from undesirable, as one of the things people expect in long games is plot progression over time. In fact, people often criticize certain episodic shows on TV because each episode is *too* self-contained in that there is no over-arching plot, no real character development in the course of the series.

Consider NPC development as a concrete example. It's easy to see how you would *discretize* this - simply have the player only interact with a NPC on select locales, after which the NPC disappears. Examples of this in current games typically include quest NPCs that are with you one quest and then are gone, shopkeepers, random civilians, etc. This setup is great for a "lone wolf" type of game where you're wandering from town to town, never staying long and not making any permanent contacts, but it doesn't create the sort of companionship, camaraderie, and long-term development that a NPC from a Square Enix or Bioware game (or PS:T) might have. And this is not really more realistic, either: just because in real life you typically don't travel around with the same companions in parties doesn't meant that you don't have friends or enemies who play a long-term role in the story of your life that is continuous and changing.

That's an erroneous example. If we consider the "lone wolf" game as one with a strong leading role, and a "companionship/camaraderie" style game as one with an ensemble cast, then in both cases the protagonist(s) are compartmentalised away from individual locales.

There is obviously additional work involved in a game with an "ensemble" cast, but that's true even if the game is completely linear, and the exponent of how much that increases with non-linearity can be kept in check by effective isolation of local plots with relation to how supporting characters reference them. For example:

(N)PC: I'm no bleeding heart, but that's a good thing you've done back there. Nobody deserves to live under that sort of oppression.

1. Well, it wasn't just me. Even if I made the call, you were right with me all the way, and I can't thank you enough for getting us through.
2. Thanks, Captain Obvious. I don't need you to validate my moral compass. Just do what you do best, and watch my back.

Etc.

Now, is it critical that the NPC specifically reference that conversation in future? Controlling a variable (hidden or not) to measure their disposition can achieve something close to the same effect. If the player continues to be cold toward their companion...

(N)PC: Look, I'm just about at the end of my tether. You're hardly the most amiable person, and to be frank, your whole personality is grating on me. I can't keep doing this.

...or it could manifest itself in a more dramatic manner, like active hostility.

All in all, it all depends on how much value you place on specific detail.

To address the notion of NPCs confined within a locale, the same applies, but the developer also has a great tool at their disposal - the justifiable degree of communication. In Fallout for instance, it's perfectly reasonable that Shady Sands wouldn't hear much, if anything of the Vault Dweller's exploit within the timeframe of the game.

[edit] Oh and some interesting thoughts on the notion of non-linear conversations too, Azarkon. But...let's save that for another day. :?

Azarkon

Arcane
That's an erroneous example. If we consider the "lone wolf" game as one with a strong leading role, and a "companionship/camaraderie" style game as one with an ensemble cast, then in both cases the protagonist(s) are compartmentalised away from individual locales.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here. The "lone wolf" example refers to a game where each scenario is compartmentalized largely as a result of the protagonist's "solo" nature. Think, with respect to this, of a series in which each episode has the hero catapulting into a new locale and solving a new set of problems, with an entirely new cast, in which the only continuity, if it exists at all, is that of the hero himself. Compare this, then, to a series where the protagonist has to deal with other characters that travel with him (or just other characters in general, with a focus on their relationships) - they certainly *can* respond discontinously, as you indicate, to the adventures in each locale as the "lone wolf" does. But they *cannot* respond discontinuously, at least no tin a good series, with respect to their interactions with each other (unless some weird gimmick ala "time warp" occurs at the end of each episode). If one character in one episode indicates that the protagonist is his best friend, we do not then expect that to change in the next episode irregardless of whether the locales are different.

In other words, it's the presence of companions that defeats the lone wolf's ability to uproot himself wherever he goes, because the companions themselves root him firmly in their relationships, thus effecting continuity.

Now, is it critical that the NPC specifically reference that conversation in future? Controlling a variable (hidden or not) to measure their disposition can achieve something close to the same effect. If the player continues to be cold toward their companion...

But that in and of itself is a discretizing of the NPCs, though in your case not alongside the locales but alongside hidden variables. It works, much as Fallout's system of different locales works, in creating Non-Linearity. But it clearly comes at the cost of limiting the complexity of the NPCs, and in this case I can't help but think of how canned it'd be if the underlying mechanics are at all conspicuous. Think of it this way: in real life an event never so easily affects people simply through changing their dispositions towards each other and/or personalities. Almost always, the specificities of the event shape the memory of those affected by it, thus adding to their world knowledge and thus everything they do from that point forward.

There's simply no way to convey that if your only "memory" from important conversations are that it made you like said person better or worse. When real people speak to each other (and similarly in novels and films), they always reference things that's happened to them in the past. Without that reference, responses are almost guaranteed to be canned, and I think you see some of that in those failed Morrowind (and possibly Oblivion) dialogue systems. Sure, you can design a game where dialogue mostly consists of generic statements people of certain dispositions make towards each other, but that's a far cry from the full-blown complexity of referential speech typically expected of meaningful conversation.

Azarkon

Arcane
For example, let's take the following scenario: The PC and Bob are good friends. Once, they defeated a legion of orcs in Redeye Keep by trapping the orcs in a narrow corridor and bringing down the ceiling on their heads. The idea belonged to the PC, which naturally improved Bob's trust in the PC's leadership. Now, they are again faced with seemingly impossible foes in the form of zombie hordes, and Bob says to the PC...

Case 1: Hidden Variable (trust(PC)++)

Bob: I trust you completely, my friend. Wherever you go, I will follow.

Whereas without the trust(PC)++ he would've said:

Bob: I don't know about this, <PC>, I fear that we maybe over our heads.

Case 2: Total Recall

Bob: Remember the time we took out a legion of orcs in the Keep, <PC>? Impossible odds don't scare me!

Whereas without the event in Redeye Keep he would've said:

Comparable, yes? But consider the next encounter, this time with a white dragon:

Case 1: (Hidden Variable)

Bob: I trust you completely, my friend. Wherever you go, I will follow.

Whereas without trust(PC++) he would've said:

Case 2: Total Recall

Bob: You've led me through orcs and you've led me through zombies, my friend. I can't see how you'd fail me now.

But if they fought in Redeye Keep and won...

Bob: I still remember those damn zombies, but you handled them orcs well, so lead on.

And if they won against the zombies but not Redeye Keep...

Bob: I know that your judgment's been getting bette ever since the Keep, <PC>, so I'm with ya.

The longer this Plot goes on, the more intensified the differences between compartmentalizing Bob's reception versus the natural responses, largely due to the application of details. Course Case 2 would have zounds more potential outcomes than Case 1, but that's the trade-off with continuous non-linearity, which is my point. Clearly, you can delay the offset of canned responses by increasing their numbers and forcing the NPC to speak a new one each time, but that comes with its own problems. The best approach that balalnces the two, that I've seen so far, is to have a multitude of "hidden variables" that retain at least *some* of the specificities of each event, while neglecting others.

Section8

Cipher
Not exactly sure what you're saying here. The "lone wolf" example refers to a game where each scenario is compartmentalized largely as a result of the protagonist's "solo" nature. Think, with respect to this, of a series in which each episode has the hero catapulting into a new locale and solving a new set of problems, with an entirely new cast, in which the only continuity, if it exists at all, is that of the hero himself. Compare this, then, to a series where the protagonist has to deal with other characters that travel with him (or just other characters in general, with a focus on their relationships) - they certainly *can* respond discontinously, as you indicate, to the adventures in each locale as the "lone wolf" does. But they *cannot* respond discontinuously, at least no tin a good series, with respect to their interactions with each other (unless some weird gimmick ala "time warp" occurs at the end of each episode). If one character in one episode indicates that the protagonist is his best friend, we do not then expect that to change in the next episode irregardless of whether the locales are different.

I understand that they must respond with some sense of continuity, I'm just saying that continuity can be employed in a similar manner to say, Fallout's ending slides and still be a more than reasonable facsimile of the "strong" continuous narrative of Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy. For instance.

"When I killed Gizmo, my best friend fought valiantly alongside me, and it strengthened our friendship. Further down our journey however, we were set upon by ghouls, and he was of the belief that they were far less of an abomination than they seemed, and that strained the friendship, when I set upon them, all guns blazing."

For the intents and purposes of the player, that's a continuous narrative, even if the two particular encounters are completely compartmentalised.

But that in and of itself is a discretizing of the NPCs, though in your case not alongside the locales but alongside hidden variables. It works, much as Fallout's system of different locales works, in creating Non-Linearity. But it clearly comes at the cost of limiting the complexity of the NPCs, and in this case I can't help but think of how canned it'd be if the underlying mechanics are at all conspicuous. Think of it this way: in real life an event never so easily affects people simply through changing their dispositions towards each other and/or personalities. Almost always, the specificities of the event shape the memory of those affected by it, thus adding to their world knowledge and thus everything they do from that point forward.

Certainly, real life isn't nearly that simple, but neither is the idea of the player's impact on a locale having only two resolutions. This little side discussion is opinion with regard to cost and gain of non-linearity, as opposed to absolute definition.

And my opinion is that even a limited, variable NPC response is a far better appropriation of resources than providing a fixed response that also provides discrete references to past events, at the cost of them also being fixed. Just the same as a binary resolution of events in a given locale is better than a fixed resolution with more theoretical complexity.

There's simply no way to convey that if your only "memory" from important conversations are that it made you like said person better or worse. When real people speak to each other (and similarly in novels and films), they always reference things that's happened to them in the past. Without that reference, responses are almost guaranteed to be canned, and I think you see some of that in those failed Morrowind (and possibly Oblivion) dialogue systems. Sure, you can design a game where dialogue mostly consists of generic statements people of certain dispositions make towards each other, but that's a far cry from the full-blown complexity of referential speech typically expected of meaningful conversation.

But we're not talking about purely generic responses. My example previous was of an event where the NPC can be as complex as you like with regard to a specific situation, and the only thing that is genericised are the specifics of prior occurances. Consider:

Friend: You've wronged me in the past, so can you understand I'm a bit reluctant in unquestioningly following you in future?

That statement stems directly from the consequences of a past incident, and it has a meaningful effect on the present and future, and unless I then argue and say "When have I wronged you?" it still bears the weight of the past. And ironically, the only reason I can think of for arguing the point, is to gloss over the past and reduce the consequential effect it had. For instance:

NPC: Would you like to spend the night with me? I'm so very lonely.
PC: Spend the night in this shithole? You can't be serious.
NPC: How rude! Get out of my sight!
PC: Hah! Gotcha! I was just joking.
NPC: Oh, that's okay then.

The longer this Plot goes on, the more intensified the differences between compartmentalizing Bob's reception versus the natural responses, largely due to the application of details. Course Case 2 would have zounds more potential outcomes than Case 1, but that's the trade-off with continuous non-linearity, which is my point. Clearly, you can delay the offset of canned responses by increasing their numbers and forcing the NPC to speak a new one each time, but that comes with its own problems. The best approach that balalnces the two, that I've seen so far, is to have a multitude of "hidden variables" that retain at least *some* of the specificities of each event, while neglecting others.

Well, I think were on the same page as far as the science, because I'm aware of the exponential increase of a tree that only ever diverges, without a convergence to keep things reasonable.

But when it comes to the actual interpretation of opinion based on the facts we're both accepting, we're differing.

Here's my take, metaphorically speaking:

Imagine reading a linear novel, written in second person. It would be strange to say the least. The whole story revolves around "you" and yet, you don't actually get any input into the outcome. Personally, I'd find that hard to swallow. I'd probably end up shouting at the book - "That's not what *I* would do! Why are you even written in second person, a perspective clearly unsuited to the strengths of your medium?!"

Now imagine a book with just as many pages, once again, written in second person, with actual choices to be made on my behalf, the good ol' Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. Now, while the sum of an individual story is inherently less than that of a novel that reads straight through from cover to cover, and it's certainly not going to cover every choice the reader may want to make, but there are also advantages.

First of all, the second person nature of the book doesn't seem so contrived, because the book actually involves choices. I can better relate to the constant references to *me*, because in a limited sense, it is me. I've willingly guided the narrative onto the path it's on.

Secondly, even though it may involve retracing common steps, the culmination of pursuing different outcomes provides a lot more reading than the linear novel, as long as the reader is willing to re-read, and I don't know anyone who only reads Choose-Your-Own-Adventures once.

Lastly, the reader's involvement in the choices can be compelling in itself. I've read books where the "correct" path requires varying degrees of problem solving, from riddles to arithmetic. That then becomes a challenge which is not offered by conventional media (film and literature).

The key to this whole idea is the nature of second person perspective. Games are an interactive medium, where *I* am the protagonist. Using the narrative methods suited to first and third person perspectives don't suit the nature of the medium.

And so from that, I believe that RPGs should always strive toward consequential non-linearity because the compromises of misusing the medium represent a far greater cost than the development resources required for non-linearity, especially when games like Fallout stand as superb examples of how those development costs can be greatly minimised.

Without interactivity, games will always be an inferior medium to film and literature, and efforts made to stifle that in order to fit some misconception of what constitutes a compelling narrative are counterproductive.

---
But as I say, this little side discussion isn't directly related to the original thread, so apologies for hijacking it somewhat, MrBrown. :?

Azarkon

Arcane
I can't speak for MrBrown's intent for creating this thread, but I think that, based on the responses given, the discussion here is very much relevant to a definition of non-linearity in CRPGs. For one, even if we achieved theoretical harmony and came up with The Definition, it would be largely ignored if it does not correspond to some innate sense of the benefits and drawbacks of non-linearity. Of course, if you would like to make a new thread for the topic, I'm not against the idea.

With that said, I largely agree with your conclusions. I've said practically the same thing myself on occasions, largely in argument against JRPGs and cinematic storytelling as the future of RPGs. I should explain myself: I'm not arguing *against* non-linearity. I'm simply pointing out its drawbacks and limitations with regards to storytelling - but I'm not saying that storytelling is the most important part of a RPG. Like you said, games should not be the equivalent of films or novels.

However, that does not mean that linear (or better yet, pseudo-linear, as in the case of most Bioware products) games have no merits and should be abolished. Almost everyone can enjoy a good story, and just because novels and films do a better job at conveying strictly linear stories does not mean that games are inferior products. For one thing, and this is probably a important point to bring up in the definition of non-linearity, *no* game in existence - not even games like Xenosaga - are devoid of interactivity. All games, even if they *do* tell a linear story against a linear plot, offer interaction, and that interaction, in the more general sense of the term, comprises a degree of Story Non-Linearity. The real question here is how *much* non-linearity makes you a happy camper. The way the industry is right now, it's widely perceived that people care more about non-linearity of combat and equipment choices than non-linearity of narrative, and that philosophy is not just marketing BS. Many people *do* in fact look to RPGs as longer, more reader-interactive (and compared to films, more reader-paced) substitutes for films and novels, and there is nothing wrong with that because even a little interactivity *is* a feature native to the gaming medium and no other. Hence, the industry can thrive merely by producing the equivalent of JRPGs - and have.

At the same time, however, there's no doubt in my mind that the industry can *also* thrive in a direction as of yet largely unexplored, and that this new frontier lies inevitably with non-linearity. But the trick to making these non-linear RPGs does not simply lie in dwelling on the glory of Fallout and trying to imitate its tricks and quirks. Rather, we need to understand the limitations of the Fallout approach and move beyond the local-containment paradigm through the utility and development of new technologies. That, in my eyes, is the true future of non-linear RPGs.

In terms of personal taste, I prefer a middle of the line approach. I like non-linearity, but find that "distant" and, at times, bland NPCs largely stifle my enjoyment, while the make-your-own-story plot approaches of the sandbox genre is largely overshadowed (personally) by MMORPGs, which have much larger budgets and can hold my attention simply through the dangling of human interaction. It is for this reason that my interests in non-linearity among single-player games are, as of yet, largely theoretical. That is, I would *love* a game that allows me to define my own character and make my own choices, all the while offering compelling, impressionable NPCs and involving, moving storylines. Well, of course I do - who wouldn't? But I guess what makes me different from many people on this board is that I am *not* a fan of games that stress non-linearity at the expense of master storytelling and characterization, even though I do agree on a theoretical level that storytelling and characterization are not necessarily the most important attributes of a CRPG.

Section8

Cipher
Okay, now we're pretty much on the same page. One further thing:

Many people *do* in fact look to RPGs as longer, more reader-interactive (and compared to films, more reader-paced) substitutes for films and novels, and there is nothing wrong with that because even a little interactivity *is* a feature native to the gaming medium and no other.

I think those people are philistines. :P

Film aside, because it's a sorry state of affairs in itself, games just cannot compare to literature. Even supermarket bought pulp fiction generally manages to outdo games in terms of narrative.

And I think this is basically a result of the fact that to get a novel published, you need either couple of bestsellers under your belt, or, at least two unpublished works of high quality that can then be edited, rewritten and brought up to par.

To get a game published, you need proof of a concept that encompasses much more than just a narrative, and then you spend ~18 months developing something that vaguely resembles the original brief. There's absolutely no guarantee of quality, and a publisher would have to be pretty doubting of a games interactive element to pull funding when the story elements are complete, but mediocre.

You also have to account for the fact that for most developers, the story is developed by a collective of "part-timers," people who are not actually writers, but may have some literary chops.

Then, you have delivery of the narrative to consider. Clumsy methods and poor execution plague this. How many games can you think of that had good voice acting? How many players enjoy reading big chunks of non-interactive text when they could actually be gaming?

That's why it baffles me when I hear gamers lauding games for having "good story." I can't think of one that has a good story in the traditional sense. The ones that do stick in my mind are the ones with a malleable narrative that can be approached from all different perspectives, with the feeling that you are very much a part of it.

So maybe it's just a matter of my own standards, but I feel a linear narrative in a game is always going to be inferior to the written word, and inferior to a good film.

MrBrown

Liturgist
Hello everyone. Good discussion, and yes, I do also think it's relevant to the point at hand.

Some comments:

@Drain: Yes, I do think no games are 0% or 100% linear, in regards to Plot or Story. So it's more of a question of "how much", not "is or is not".

@Section8: But are JRPGs (for instance) written in 2nd person?

mourning

Novice
It seems to me that this entire discussion is focused around the causality of games.

To break down Mr. Brown's proposed definitions for plot and story:
Plot: Events which have *happened* = Effect
Story: Events which the PC acts upon in his immediate vicinity = basically what the PC *does* = Cause

Thus an extremely non-linear story is a game in which one can do anything, and an extremely non-linear plot is a game in which anything can happen: both combined would be, basically, life itself. In real life, every unique cause leads to an equally unique effect. It is upon this principle which science is based.

Then therefore, a perfectly linear story and plot would be a novel, or piece of literature. The actions and consequences for characters within such a one-dimensional world are completely at the whims of an author.

As stated before by many other posters, linearity exists in a spectrum. Thus, games exist to fill in that spectrum: neither set in stone, nor fully interactive.

Since it's impossible to just label games either fully "linear" or "non-linear", I would suggest we set the system into a cartesian coordinate system. An XY plane, in which the X axis could represent the story, or *cause*- the independent variable. Whereas the Y axis would represent the plot, or *effect*- the dependent variable. For this discussion, let's say positive is linear, negative is non-linear.

With that in mind, here's how I would define games, through the resulting quadrants:

Quadrant I (Linear Story, Linear Plot)
First Person Shooters, JRPGs, Platformers
These are games in which there is very little much the player can do: either fail or succeed. Kill or die. Headshots, crits, jumps?: all largely irrelevant as they are merely variations on the same basic cause-effect relationship. There are only two stories and two plots: You kill monsters, you win game. And if you fail, you lose.

Quadrant II (Non-Linear Story, Linear Plot)
Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Games with lots of sidequests
There is a disjunction in this quadrant as story and cause has little relationship with plot and effect. Regardless of what you do, the same thing happens. In Fallout 2, you can wipe out the slavers, win New Reno for any crime family you choose, etc. But you still have to help free your village from the hands of the enclave, kill Frank Horrigan and watch the same Nuclear Explosion on oilrig cutscene. Oops, spoilers.

Quadrant III (Non-Linear Story, Non-Linear Plot)
PnP RPG, Fallout 1? maybe? Choose-your-own adventure novels, the ideal RPG that seems impossible to make
In this case, cause and effect are linked, but there must be lots of such a relationship. Conceivably, a game like this, if it were to be made, would be rather short as the spread of resources across each branch of the tree would stunt the tree's height. Choose-your-own adventure books usually do not take much time for one read through: the fun comes in rereading it. This might be why you can beat Fallout 1 in so little time.

Quadrant IV (Linear Story, Non-Linear Plot)
MMORPGs, TES 4: Oblivion
In this game, you have few options, but many events happen regardless of what you do. This is yet another disjunction: cause and effect seem to have no real relationship. I would say that MMORPGs fill in this spot: your character can only become more powerful. Items he crafts will be destroyed or traded or sold, monsters he kills will respawn, etc. The character has no direct influence on anything except his level. However, it is due to external forces: that is, developers creating patches, the influence of other players (leading to aggros, trains, camps, ganks, pvp) random number generators leading to procs or drops, that lead to what actually happens in the game world. In an MMORPG, you are helpless, only able to try your best to find a party and level up, while events around you happen because of other people. With TES4 and the new Radiant A.I. system, the NPCs are free to loot and kill each other for their rakes and brooms as the hapless PC watches this world chug along without him.

Section8

Cipher
@Section8: But are JRPGs (for instance) written in 2nd person?

They're not written in second person, but they're delivered as such, which, as per my previous post is a shortcoming. Anything interactive puts you into the narrative, whether it's a definable alter ego you can associate with directly, or giving you control of a pre-defined character.

It's not a case of "This is Cloud Strife, and here is his story," it's "You are Cloud Strife, and here is his story from your perspective." Just like Half-Life is a case of "You are Gordon Freeman," not "This is Gordon Freeman."

As soon as a game requires input from me, even to progress a linear narrative it becomes second person. First and Third person are completely passive.

Azarkon

Arcane
I think those people are philistines. Razz

I tend to think of them as casual gamers :cool:

Seriously, though. Some people simply prefer the gaming medium over film and literature in telling a story. It's true that, currently, most gamers do not even come close to average pop writing, but it doesn't have to be because games use language only in the sense of dialogue, and supplement it with graphics, music, and interactivity. To many, this combination is far more appealing than a book, even if said book was better written. I tend to think that they, like film fans, prefer the visual and audio stimulus. Yet what differentiates them from the average film fan is their preference for a player-driven pace: like readers of literature, they want to absorb the story as they please instead of all at once as in a film. Finally, such people tend to enjoy *some* gameplay, as all gamers must, but these tend to be the action-oriented sort.

Anyhow, good discussion, I'll post later at greater length if I have time.

Section8

Cipher
Well, I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm more like, say a connoisseur of fine wines, who can't help but think those who enjoy a cheap four litre cask are missing out because they don't know any better.

But it's hardly a critical point of education, either. They're enjoying themselves, so really, who am I to say "but what I enjoy is so much better!" on basis of experience?

Llyranor

Liturgist
Having the privilege of having visited some Final Fantasy forums, it's pretty sad when there are threads arguing that JRPGs should have more nonlinearity. The arguments against are similar to "I don't want choice, I want a good story, FFs have the best stories!" "Then why don't you watch anime?" "Shut up, I play games because it's my story!!!" "Wouldn't it be nice to have choice in that story?" "I don't want choice, I don't wanna think LOL LOL tyranny"

Tyranny of choice isn't just some made-up concept. It's out there.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Section8 said:
Well, I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm more like, say a connoisseur of fine wines, who can't help but think those who enjoy a cheap four litre cask are missing out because they don't know any better.

A better simile might be to say that you're like a wine conoisseur who doesn't get the fuss over craft-brewed beers. Both ways of consuming alcohol, but judged by different standards and consumed in different patterns.

Section8

Cipher
No, I'll stick with my smarmy, elitist view that my standards are clearly higher, rather than different. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom