Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NotR bonuses

Tails said:
Btw. I still didn't play Gothic 2... is it bug free? Currently in the free time I try to re-play & finish Gothic and god damn, every time I run in some weird bug. Either with NPCs (ex. I beat up the guy who hit's nameless one in face at beginning, after I tried talk to him again he "spoke" without voice or subtitles and when he finish I couldn't even get back to game menu), performance (graphic glitches, weird slowdowns) or sudden game freeze. Even the mouse-combat seems to be bugged. And yeah I got the last patch.
Sorry, those aren't bugs in the game. You obviously have some driver issues, which isn't a surprise since those games are so old. I would say use older drivers (solved my problems with Fallout 3), but if you have decent hardware, they won't have drivers old enough. (It's still possible that the games will work better with a bit older drivers ... so you might as well try to revert back to the oldest you can find.)

Disconnected

Scholar
If memory serves, Gothic 2+ATI cards is pretty similar to PS:T+nVidia cards. I'm not sure there's any helping it, beyond using a different video card.

Tails

Arbiter
Well the performance and graphic glitch issue for sure is driver related, since on my older and weaker PC Gothic run without any weird freezes. Hm the oldest are from 2008. Still I doubt the drivers fix other issues mentioned or some of the broken ladders in few places :P Thanks for advice.

Driver issues can cause the weirdest bugs, and obviously, since I didn't have any of the sort of bugs you've mentioned, they must be driver related. If the game itself had had such obvious bugs, people would have noticed them, and they would probably have been fixed.

Disconnected said:
If memory serves, Gothic 2+ATI cards is pretty similar to PS:T+nVidia cards. I'm not sure there's any helping it, beyond using a different video card.
I have an ATI card, in fact I've had two different ATI cards, the one a 128 mb one, and the other a 512 mb one; and the game works OK with both cards. It didn't work tolerably with my brother's Nvidia card, though he didn't try older drivers.

Tails

Arbiter
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Driver issues can cause the weirdest bugs, and obviously, since I didn't have any of the sort of bugs you've mentioned, they must be driver related. If the game itself had had such obvious bugs, people would have noticed them, and they would probably have been fixed.
Hm it seems that those older drivers helped, I don't have more graphical glitches, especially in forest and the FPS don't fall below 20 in some areas :lol: but still the mouse combat is messy when there is group of monsters attacking me. Basically after killing one I can't move the nameless one by arrow keys or WSAD, like he was stuck in one place. Oh well I get used to keyboard combat anyway. Also still falling from the same ladder by the east entrance to the Old Camp ;) Thanks again.

Disconnected

Scholar
Paula Tormeson IV said:
I have an ATI card, in fact I've had two different ATI cards, the one a 128 mb one, and the other a 512 mb one; and the game works OK with both cards.

It's nVidia that doesn't like Gothic 2, not ATI. Very sorry about that. I guess my memory didn't serve... Anyway, I looked it up and fixes for G1+2 are on the list for the next update, so there just might be decent performance & stability in your near future, Tails.

Disconnected said:
Anyway, I looked it up and fixes for G1+2 are on the list for the next update
That's weird, for almost a decade old pair of games. My guess is they're fixing, out of popular demand, something they had broken. New drivers often start having issues with old games, so unless the old games are sufficiently lastingly popular, your only fix is to go back to old drivers.

Disconnected

Scholar
Paula Tormeson IV said:
That's weird, for almost a decade old pair of games. My guess is they're fixing, out of popular demand, something they had broken.

Not really that weird. The Gothic series is neither dead nor obscure, and both ATI and nVidia include fixes for running really old shit in just about every update. I think it's more surprising they didn't get around to it until now, really, considering both games are up on GOG now.

Speaking of which, I never did get around to playing G3. I guess I'll go snag the first two and play the series when the driver update comes (I'm a nVidia victim too *sniff*). The first one is framerate locked, right? Is there a fix for that somewhere?

Texas Red

Whiner
Will Gothic 2 run on Vista? I remember I had problems running it on Windows 7 and I never solved them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just for the record, I got an ATI card (5750) with Win7 x64 and Gothic 2 runs fine. The only thing I had to do was to disable video scaling in the ini file, else they wouldn't show.

Clockwork Knight said:
Yet it still looks...good. Art direction?
What art direction, are you high? It's just generic medieval stuff. WAY TOO fucking generic. Sheesh, even Oblivion has a more interesting art direction, if you ask me.

Disconnected

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
Will Gothic 2 run on Vista? I remember I had problems running it on Windows 7 and I never solved them.

G2 should work on both Vista and W7 machines, 32 and 64 bit. But as far as I can tell you'll need to force it to run on a single core if you're on a multicore machine, and recent nVidia drivers will fuck it with a broken bottle until it is dead, dead, dead (or 'till it crashes, whatever).

Murk

Arcane
Malakal said:
But it is true isnt it? This is not debating which game is better, but Morrowind looks better despite being the older one.

That's not my point - Drogbro just had a habit of stirring shit in threads and it often derails.

On to the later topics:

NotR adds a ridiculous amount of content to the game including some really great quests (the weapons dealer and missing people lines) that are really cool the first time around but somewhat repetitive for how linear they are in any subsequent replays. The expansion area is magnificent the first time you play it, pretty cool the second time, and somewhat tiring the third time since you already know everything and just have to slog through it to get to the end.

It does rebalance the game entirely though and the game is much much more difficult -- but all for the better, imo. The start is going to be difficult no matter how you play it but once you get some skill and equipment shit goes by easy enough.

Tails

Arbiter
Disconnected said:
It's nVidia that doesn't like Gothic 2, not ATI. Very sorry about that. I guess my memory didn't serve... Anyway, I looked it up and fixes for G1+2 are on the list for the next update, so there just might be decent performance & stability in your near future, Tails.
I hope so thought currently it ain't so bad, I didn't even have any weird freeze on old drivers so far...

-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
What art direction, are you high? It's just generic medieval stuff. WAY TOO fucking generic. Sheesh, even Oblivion has a more interesting art direction, if you ask me.
2nkjjf8.jpg

aleph

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Yet it still looks...good. Art direction?

:facepalm:

The art direction is good because it looks like genuine medieval stuff and not like this retarded bullshit that is called "medieval" in most other fantasy games. (Dragon Age, Oblivion...)

So the art direction is good because there's no creativity? Gee, the Codex has surely declined a lot recently, if copypasta of generic real life medieval architecture is now considered "good art direction". FFS.

aleph

Arcane
So the art direction is good because there's no creativity? Gee, the Codex has surely declined a lot recently, if copypasta of real life medieval architecture is now considered "good art direction". FFS.

Creativity does not equal good art direction. Sure, the art in gothic 2 is not overly creative, but what is there just fits together to an organic whole.

Felix

Arcane
And people start to argue with a troll again, a brand new day on the codex.

NotR also changes the difficulty of the whole game from 'Very Hard' to 'Autistic'.

I know you was talking about yourself, don't worry.

Tails

Arbiter
So the art direction is good because there's no creativity? Gee, the Codex has surely declined a lot recently, if copypasta of generic real life medieval architecture is now considered "good art direction". FFS.
2nkjjf8.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
That's because you don't have NotR and if you do, it must have something to do with... uh, I don't know, :YOUR TASTE SUCKS BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE STUFF THAT I DO:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I do have NotR, and it seems to complete the main game pretty well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom