Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NotR bonuses

I found a way into the starting town that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, and that gave a 500 points xp bonus. (The newest walkthrough lists 5 ways, one of them a bug exploit.)

Probably the most difficult thing I've done in the game. :D

notr2.png

notr1.png

Murk

Arcane
You can go out and do any of the other ways (farmhand for Lobart) along with that, too.

There's like 5 or 6 counted ways to enter the town without going through the gates, the most convoluted one involves using the cliff edge near where the orc scout is until you basically climb all the way around to the other side of the harbor (where the ship is) and drop down from there. The easiest one involves dropping the farmer's clothing to stand on at a point where the city walls are barely out of reach to jump/climb over. Anyway, always good fun.

Edit: I see you mentioned that above, doh.

Incidentally, I literally just re-beat NotR 5 minutes ago. Holy shit archery is ridiculous.

Mikayel said:
You can go out and do any of the other ways (farmhand for Lobart) along with that, too.

There's like 5 or 6 counted ways to enter the town without going through the gates, the most convoluted one involves using the cliff edge near where the orc scout is until you basically climb all the way around to the other side of the harbor (where the ship is) and drop down from there. The easiest one involves dropping the farmer's clothing to stand on at a point where the city walls are barely out of reach to jump/climb over. Anyway, always good fun.

Edit: I see you mentioned that above, doh.
No, the walkthrough includes all the conventional ways to get to the count of 5 ways to get in. I had no idea you could use the clothes as a stepping-stone for climbing over the wall ... and I think I know the spot as well. I was trying to climb over the wall there, noticed it was just a bit too high, and while I tried to think of stuff I could use to climb on, I didn't actually try anything. (I didn't think they had real physical substance in the game.)

I doubt there's a more difficult way of getting in than swimming from the east, which involves travelling long distances with very basic equipment. (I didn't even talk to Cavalorn in the beginning, although I stole the farmer's clothing.)

Mikayel said:
Incidentally, I literally just re-beat NotR 5 minutes ago. Holy shit archery is ridiculous.
I don't know about the cross bow, but I found the bow to be the easiest way to get through the game without using magic scrolls.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Blocky / not blocky, it's still wonderful. I think I remember swimming into Khorinis from the East; I'm not sure... it was after a difficult jump iirc.

Elwro

Arcane
I'd say it does. NotR adds one new way of entrance to Khorinis, I think... isn't it connected to gathering alchemical ingredients?

Black_Willow

Arcane
Elwro said:
I'd say it does. NotR adds one new way of entrance to Khorinis, I think... isn't it connected to gathering alchemical ingredients?
Oh yes, you can gather some herbs and then pretend you're an apprentice of the alchemist.

Murk

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
No, the walkthrough includes all the conventional ways to get to the count of 5 ways to get in.

Ellusion's guide has his own convoluted way:

Code:
Anyway, here's how. First find your way up to the Statue of Innos again where
  you first met Maleth. On the other side of the road, you can make out the
  dense forrest on a lower level than the road, but it looks to be a higher drop
  than you can survive. Make your way to the point where the ledge starts and
  you can see the steep mountainside continue further. Ie, the absolute earliest
  opportunity to jump down (don't yet though). The fall here is too high and
  will kill you, but there's a little trick to be done here. If you jump off the
  ledge you're on, aiming to crash in mountainside - jumping off the ledge, but
  into the cliffside on your left - you will be bounced off it and into the
  ground, where the total drop only counts as a risky fall doing some damage and
  not killing you. It takes a few tries to get right, but keep at it and you
  should find yourself on the forrest floor below the ledge soon enough.

Once down, you are in the close vicinity of a band of Black Goblins - probably
  way too tough to take on by this point, so lets try to leg it past them. Run
  as fast as you can along the cliffside and you should loose the goblins when
  you see this part of the forrest makes way to a greengrass strip and a small
  mountain alley. You can probably aslo see the top of a mast on a big ship
  anchored on the other side.

At the very bend in this new alley, walk up the corner and there should be a
  sloope there that you can jump up on and not slide down again. Finding and
  getting up here should leave you atop a very narrow cliffside, where you will
  see the Paladin's ship and harbour on the other side. Run along the steep
  cliff - almost like a razors edge - all the way over to the bandit cave (see
  C1.1.P6). From here the grassy strip on top of the cliff ends, and you should
  see some makeshift tents to your left down on the beach. Take a careful
  sideways drop down on a mountain ledge just below the one you're standing on
  now, and from there, jump across to the roof of the nearest tent, and then
  finally drop from the tent roof onto the beach. Congratulations, you're now
  right smack inside the city of Khorinis.

... and the additions by other people on how to sneak into the town:

Code:
    Xerxes0 also adds: "You can climb the wall off to the right of the south
    gate guards. As you walk along the wall a bit, there is a low spot that can
    be reached and climbed over, not that far from the city gate; but this is
    important, you must jump standing back a little bit, or you will be bounced
    back and not make it. It takes a bit of practice but it is a great way to
    avoid the guards and get in."

And: "Another way into the city is outside the East Gate; walk up towards
    the light house, skirt the bandits there, stay to the left and walk all the
    way up and around the mountain; very high up to the ridge. Eventually you
    will come down near where the thieves guild is and you can also jump onto
    the wall of the harbor district and jump down."

The Wonderer adds: "You can just go around the South Gate guards from the
    right side (from near the place where u can climb the wall) because only the
    left guard will stop you, stay away from him near the wall, until your are
    behind the right guard, then just go in."

Another version that is half Ellusion's and half something improvised suggests to run like mad through the forest until you reach the back ravine that leads to the cave with the Loafers (the one you would reach past the Orc Scout and group of Goblins) until the monsters stop chasing you, then to use an inclined section of the ravine wall to climb up the wall that leads to the Dock's near the paladins' ship.

I had no idea you could use the clothes as a stepping-stone for climbing over the wall ... and I think I know the spot as well. I was trying to climb over the wall there, noticed it was just a bit too high, and while I tried to think of stuff I could use to climb on, I didn't actually try anything. (I didn't think they had real physical substance in the game.)

The one facing Lobart's farm is a bit tricky as its on an incline - so if you drop the farmer's clothing it will slide down. In other cases if you drop the clothing on steady ground you'll actually pop up on top of the clothing. You could technically stack other stuff too, just depends on the item in question.

I doubt there's a more difficult way of getting in than swimming from the east, which involves travelling long distances with very basic equipment. (I didn't even talk to Cavalorn in the beginning, although I stole the farmer's clothing.)

Heh, skip the town all together and build up 90 dex till you get acrobatics, then jump into town from the cliffs that face it from the "east" (northern) entrance.

I don't know about the cross bow, but I found the bow to be the easiest way to get through the game without using magic scrolls.

Seriously, I remember having trouble with the dragons going as a melee fighter but this time I didn't even try to pretend I had to do anything other than stand and shoot. Had like 90 LP to spare with over 200 in DEX, too... fuggin' ridiculous.

Felt really gyp'd on the magic and fire bows though (and magic crossbow I guess) for how little ammo there is. I guess they're decent for a "very strong enemy" type of one time use, but making it so you could enchant arrows would have been pretty cool. Or at least give me the fire bow animation so I can pretend I'm laser Jesus (pew pew pew).

Murk

Arcane
denizsi said:
Wow I had completely forgotten just how blocky thid game was.

And yet, with the exception of Risen, it does wilderness and outdoor areas better than any other game I've played. Textures are actually really nice too... until they get all stretched out cuz the devs forgot that raising the plane at one point stretched the otherwise small texture face of a hill/rock/mountain.

Elwro said:

Talking to Lester in the lower valley will trigger this - he tells you to get 10 herbs of any kind and tell the guards you work for Constantino the Alchemist. The "legitimate" ways are... 4 in total, I think.

Bribe (legitimate, heh), pass from Canthar, farm hand on Lobart's Farm, and the expansion added herbs for Constantino.

Murk

Arcane
-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
Yeah, Gothic 2 is p. ugly. Morrowind looks so much better even though it came out a year earlier.

Gosh, let's see who bites.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mikayel said:
Yeah, Gothic 2 is p. ugly. Morrowind looks so much better even though it came out a year earlier.

But it is true isnt it? This is not debating which game is better, but Morrowind looks better despite being the older one.

Mighty Mouse said:
I thought this exist pre-NOTR.
Sure. I just never play the vanilla, so I always talk about NotR. And the monsters you have to avoid are more difficult in NotR.

It took me a while before I found a way to get to the beach. There's one spot where the fall isn't too great, and where you can just drop from cliff to cliff without taking any damage, they're so close to each other. That spot happens to be in the middle of snappers, who I had jumping after me from cliff to cliff until I got into the water. Took a couple of tries, in addition to actually getting there and finding that spot.

Disconnected

Scholar
Mikayel said:

*Munch*

morrowind.jpg

Morrowind has better art direction, but all the critters and characters are much worse than NoTRs, the terrain is slightly worse than NoTRs, and the draw distance is maybe 1/3rd of NoTRs.

Of course, if you count mods it's a different story. But that's hardly a fair comparison.

denizsi

Arcane
I only said blocky, not ugly. I don't think it looks ugly at all. My memory of the game had it a little higher polycount, that's all.

Gothic 2 probably has one of the better 3D wildernesses in games, before the jungle simulatiors (Far Cry, Crysis etc.) kicked in.

dr. one

Augur
i´ve done exactly this on my second playthrough and remember being quite in awe that the game acknowledged that.

getting -100 exp exploit malus for repeating the stunt in addon world was another pretty cool bit.

and yeah, terrain layout in G2: NoTR rulez.

Texas Red

Whiner
Does NotR add any content to the vanilla version or is just a new area? Is the new area dialog heavy?

Zomg

Arbiter
It adds a large amount of stuff to the Gothic II area. You have to join the blue mage faction, which is not exclusive with the old ones, before you can get into the expansion area, which necessitates a bunch of activity. Some of it is completely new and some of it is repurposed minor stuff from the original game. The amount of NPC interaction/dialog in the expansion area is maybe a little less dense than the Khorinis map and significantly more dense than the Valley of Mines.

Reading this makes me want to replay Gothic II, and with NotR since I havn't played that yet. Curse you Vista 64-bit for not running Gothic II. :evil:
Though perhaps there is a way, I do have an 7 year old computer standing around, might jut give it a try to run it on that.

Elwro

Arcane
... but still, bows are ridiculous from midgame on. The beginning is hard for all types of characters.

I recommend playing melee fighters in NotR. The fun of challenging travel just isn't there otherwise (except in the beginning). (Don't larp a monster hunter, and you'll be fine.)

Dark Individual said:
Does NotR add any content to the vanilla version or is just a new area? Is the new area dialog heavy?
NotR adds new ways of solving old quests (for example, it adds three new ways of becoming a guild member, one per each major guild ... these are shorter, easier ways than the old ones, which are now more difficult, since all monsters and NPCs are more difficult). It adds new quests, new NPCs, new monsters, new spells, new items... And the new world IS FUCKING BRILLIANT in terms of challenging travel; very good atmosphere, too.

Tails

Arbiter
Btw. I still didn't play Gothic 2... is it bug free? Currently in the free time I try to re-play & finish Gothic and god damn, every time I run in some weird bug. Either with NPCs (ex. I beat up the guy who hit's nameless one in face at beginning, after I tried talk to him again he "spoke" without voice or subtitles and when he finish I couldn't even get back to game menu), performance (graphic glitches, weird slowdowns) or sudden game freeze. Even the mouse-combat seems to be bugged. And yeah I got the last patch.

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't remember it ever being buggy. The English version of NotR came out way the fuck after the German one so it was already patched up and ready to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom