Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir expansion (now confirmed)

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Volourn said:
Ebough to know those abilities do matter. And, if they failed as much as you claim; you didn't build your character properly. Moron.

NWN1/NWN2 combat system is too complex for an ignorant non reader like you to comprehend. BG's 'just press the attack button' is more your style. LMAO

Too bad all those combat options are utterly useless since the game doesn't enable you to put them to proper use and chooses to award senseless hacking instead of carefully planned strategies based on these abilities.There wasn't anything tactically challenging that would require and force the player to use something more elaborate. It's a hack n slash dumbfest without the wit and charm that BG had in plenty.

It's the most ridiculously easy game ever made, right down to your level, that's why you love it so much, Grasshopper.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Jaime Lannister said:
skyway said:

How is that "ugh"?

Cause there are numerous interesting factions/groups in FR for a D&D crpg to explore yet Obsidian doesn't seem to care about that and chooses some lizard-folk that the very idea of them working behind the scenes is laughable. What's next, stop the evil conspiring Mudcrabs from world domination?

MetalCraze

Arcane
that's why this idea might actually work.
you see - you got used to Yuan-Ti as to your average walking exp-bags and can't take them seriously thanks to generic dnd titles.
but it is Obsidian.
and if you actually read that article at wikipedia you should've learned that there is much more to them and they are indeed not some dumb orc society.

there is a sub-faction of Yuan-ti, the Vanguard of Sertrous (outlined in Elder Evils), who follow the teachings of the ancient obyrinth Sertrous, sometimes known as the first heretic, who wish to assist him in reconquering his layer of the Abyss.

now imagine how much Obsidian can get out of this if they will try. some potential PST goodness right there.

though I hope they won't go this way

The goal of the Yuan-ti, as dictated by their demonic god Merrshaulk, is to bring about the ultimate destruction of the world.

also Yuan-Ti is not "lizard-folk". some of them do like humans, except for some features, and used to infiltrate the human society for various purposes. here you get your "operating behind the scenes".

The Feral Kid

Prophet
but it is Obsidian.

Not necessarily a good thing.

and if you actually read that article at wikipedia you should've learned that there is much more to them and they are indeed not some dumb orc society.

Doesn't make the idea of trying to promote some lizards as the epitome of evil any less ridiculous and laughable. But I guess their limited lore is easy and suits Obsidian's purpose.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
Not necessarily a good thing.
they are discussing this addon with these "lizard-folk" with the Codex. it means something I think. I doubt a developer that would've targeted a casual audience would've bothered with pleasing some old fucks' ears.

Doesn't make the idea of trying to promote some lizards as the epitome of evil any less ridiculous and laughable. But I guess their limited lore is easy and suits Obsidian's purpose.

nobody said they were an epitome of evil. just another faction. evil due to the lore. not necessarily "zomg I want to rule/destroy the world" kind of way. and they are not some lizards. in the same way as tieflings are not some imps.

Longshanks

Augur
Overland map travel is very welcome, it's easily my preferred option, and has become far too rare. I've so far found every RPG with continuous world open exploration (Gothics, TES) to be dull and suffer from incongruities (mainly poor scaling - many towns in 5 minute walking range), zoned games without world map exploration are much more bearable (NWNs, PST), but a little limited.

Also, good to see an expansion that does something different frome the previous titles. Still making my way through NWN2 (not exactly a joy), but if MotB is as good as many claim, and SoZ can deliver on very early promise, it will have been well worth the money.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Where does it say Yuan-Ti will be the "ultimate evil bad-guys"? Seems to me like they just needed cannon fodder for their jungle areas.

Also, there was a Yuan-Ti in NWN1 which didn't have any of that lore, so they don't need to delve into it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Feral Kid said:
Cause there are numerous interesting factions/groups in FR for a D&D crpg to explore yet Obsidian doesn't seem to care about that and chooses some lizard-folk that the very idea of them working behind the scenes is laughable. What's next, stop the evil conspiring Mudcrabs from world domination?

Except that the Yuan-ti are in fact known for working behind the scenes. They are human-snake hybrids, and their appearance can vary from snakemen to almost completely human. The human looking Yuan-ti often hide their few snakelike traits and infiltrate human society.

Yuan-ti are cool, we haven't seen them in a computer game since IWD, so I'm happy to be able to figth them again :) When is this game going to be released anyway?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's the most ridiculously easy game ever made, right down to your level, that's why you love it so much, Grasshopper."

Why do you lie? I can think fo tons of easier games than NWN OC. BIO's own KOTOR for one. Troika's own TOEE for another.

And, the Yuanti ar enot just cannon fodder. Well.. they don't have to be. They have an (evil) soicety, and are prone to evil schemes just any other intelligent life.

And, what yuanti in NWN1? Morag, and her ilk were not yuanti. They were Anicent Lizardfolk.

Pseudofool

Scholar
Great News. It will do wonders for the modding community given the overlandmap thingy and the party creation. Of course, so much depends on the story, linearity, etc. that it will be difficult to judge the game until it's out of the box. MoTB was excellent in it's story regard and I can only wonder if it had more explorable map with secret areas etc, how great of a game it might have been.

I wonder if Factions will play a larger role, and we won't be limitied to a handful of pretty moralizing paths...let's hope.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Volourn said:
And, what yuanti in NWN1? Morag, and her ilk were not yuanti. They were Anicent Lizardfolk.

The yuan-ti raising the dead in NWN1's chapter 1?

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn probably got owned by the first mage he encountered and now he whines.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:

One of the Waterdhavian creatures needed to cure the plague is a Yuan-Ti. I don't know if there is a singular I should have used to make it more clear, but there is A yuan-ti in NWN1.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh, ok. Sorry, it's been years since I played the OC. The yuanti is a rather relatively minor character in the OC. Thanks for the reminder. But, he did show that yuanti ar emore than mere cannon fodder (unless you make them that ala IWD series).

Pseudofool

Scholar
Volourn said:
Oh, ok. Sorry, it's been years since I played the OC.
I know I don't have the cred, but why bother to speak with authority if your memory is suspect? Best to stay out of what you can't be sure of, right?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How dare you speak to the princess in that way?
Away with thee, peasant!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I know I don't have the cred, but why bother to speak with authority if your memory is suspect? Best to stay out of what you can't be sure of, right?"

Oooo.. I forgot about one little yuanti punk... it's not like I forgot or ignored a major story point from the end of the game. L0L

bat_boro

Arcane
Hey, Volourn, about HotU - does Aribeth show there?
I heard that the player meets her somewhere in the Underdark, but I never got around to playing that exp and can't be sure.
I really liked her character in NWN, as cliche as it was

Pseudofool

Scholar
Volourn said:
"I know I don't have the cred, but why bother to speak with authority if your memory is suspect? Best to stay out of what you can't be sure of, right?"

Oooo.. I forgot about one little yuanti punk... it's not like I forgot or ignored a major story point from the end of the game. L0L
It's not that you forgot, it's that you made a point of telling someone else they were wrong for what you misremembered. There's a word for that, it's called self-delusion. I've been a lurker for a long time, and it seems your keen to point out each tidbit of other's and call them LIARS,etc, any chance you get, and well it's just silly. If you want to be forgiven on details like characters, you sholud forgive those who claim ME or NWN1 had short gaming hours. There's a time to shut up and you don't seem to know when.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And, what yuanti in NWN1?"

That's what I wrote in regards to yuanti. I didn't call him a liar over it. In fact, I asked a question.. what yuanti?

I called hi a liar about how 'easy' he perceived NWN OC to be.

Moron.

Two completely different situations. I had alreayd admitted to not temembering about a yuanti hence the question, and not an accusation in that regard.

"If you want to be forgiven on details like characters, you sholud forgive those who claim ME or NWN1 had short gaming hours."

Except I never claimed as fact that there were absolutely no yaunti in NWN OC. The others proclaom as fact that ME is super duper short. See the difference? Tool.

"There's a time to shut up and you don't seem to know when."

Take your own advice, Little Troll.

"Hey, Volourn, about HotU - does Aribeth show there?"

Yes, and no. She's in the expansion; but you don't meet her in the Underdark.

bat_boro

Arcane
So I take it her role in the game is like the appearance of Amon Jerro in MotB?

burrie

Scholar
She has a larger role, more dialogue and injections in the ongoing storyline when compared to Ammon's cameo appearance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom