Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion fighter quests - the IGN preview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joined
Jan 7, 2003
Messages
28,038
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> has also contributed to the growing <a href=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/691/691449p1.html>Oblivion preview</a> pile. The IGN preview explored some Fighters Guild quests:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I then headed into Anvil, a city of decent size with stone buildings that seemed to mix stark Grecian columnar designs with more ornate bits of architecture. I found the Fighters Guild not too far inside the walls, and signed up immediately. Some guy named Azzan declared me an Associate, and I took on my first quest assignment. It seemed simple enough: find Arvena Thelas in Anvil and take care of her rat problem. Pretty standard rat kill quest, I thought.
<br>
<br>
Back on Anvil's cobblestone streets, I checked the compass in the bottom center of my screen to figure out what direction Arvena's house was. In Oblivion, the location of whatever quest you've selected as active in the journal is marked on your map. <b>It's also marked on your compass, and even color coded. A red arrow on your compass means the objective is indoors. In order to reach them, you'll need to first enter a building. If it's green, however, you'll know the target is outside.</b> This should prove immensely helpful in larger cities and crowded forests.</blockquote>The rat quest is more complex than the one in MW, but can't say I liked it. If anything, The Bard's Tale handled that cliche in a much better way.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
 

Futurist

Novice
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
9
Location
Silliest nation on earth AKA Sweden
First I’d like to know how a pair of damned lions managed to get into a city and someone’s basement without being seen.

Good thing they colour coded the compass arrow though, otherwise some people may not have understood that they are supposed to enter the place the arrow points at.
 

Micmu

Magister
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
6,163
Location
ALIEN BASE-3
First I’d like to know how a pair of damned lions managed to get into a city and someone’s basement without being seen.
They used the invisibility spell to fool around. :)
 

Elwro

Arcane
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
11,749
Location
Krakow, Poland
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I really don't know how anyone could seriously write that "This should prove immensely helpful in larger cities and crowded forests." It's basically saying "I'm a blind braindead kiddie".
 

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joined
Jan 7, 2003
Messages
28,038
Futurist said:
First I’d like to know how a pair of damned lions managed to get into a city and someone’s basement without being seen.
That was my first reaction. ...a gigantic mountain lion in the basement.... Wait a minute? WTF?! A lion? A GIGANTIC MOUNTAIN lion in a basement? You have got to be kidding me.

Good thing they colour coded the compass arrow though, otherwise some people may not have understood that they are supposed to enter the place the arrow points at.
Yep. I guess testing has shown that some dumb bastards need some extra help pushing them to the conclusion that if you can't find an NPC outside a building, odds are he's inside.
 

Kraszu

Prophet
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
3,253
Location
Poland
Haw giving food to rats could make them leave the place, they would just take the food. Why didn't she lock the doors to the basement?

Stil it is not so bad as the mage guild quest. It makes no sense but it is implemented better.
 

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
9,933
Location
Narnia
Wait, wasn't the first Fighter's Guild quest in Morrowind also called "kill the rats for the elderly woman who collects pillows"? Is she collecting something else now? Cheese?
 

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Joined
Mar 8, 2003
Messages
3,219
Location
Yonder
You should have included the MOUNTAIN LION part in your newspost. I hate actually having to go read the previews myself.
 

Elwro

Arcane
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
11,749
Location
Krakow, Poland
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Perhaps the lion-in-the-basement part is a wink to old Daggerfall fans out there. I vaguely remember that there was a Fighters' Guild quest in which I had to kill a grizzly bear that took the 2nd floor of someone's house as his residence.
 

Futurist

Novice
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
9
Location
Silliest nation on earth AKA Sweden
@Elwro

Yeah.. There were harpies too but frankly, it didn’t make sense in 96 and it doesn’t make sense now IMHO

@micmu

Yeah, seeing how no one actually seems to have invented a defence against that particular spell. :roll:

@VD

The compass thing just seems so bizarre to me. How hard would it be to figure out that you need to enter somewhere? Maybe reasoning isn’t needed in the future of RPGs...
 

Gwendo

Augur
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
989
A few thoughts:

I snuck up behind one while stealthed, readied my bow and arrow and launched a sharp projectile at the back of his head. Upon impact, a message popped up at the top of the screen indicating I'd just done double damage with the sneak attack. The goblin tried to charge me afterwards (...)

Hummm... An arrow in the back of the head with double the damage... Didn't kill the damn goblin?

Since weapon swings and spell casts are initiated with different buttons, Right Trigger (RT) and Right Bumper (RB), respectively, this allowed for highly effective combat techniques. For instance, I could hit RT to swing the warhammer, hit RB right after to launch a fireball, switch over to my iron longsword and shield combo for added defense and faster attack speed, switch to a healing spell to regain health, then back to the hammer for a powerful finishing blow.

I would like to watch a movie featuring this... It would be hilarious! Just imagine the actor changing equipment in the middle of a fight!


Before doing anything, I opened my inventory and poisoned my sword with a potion I was carrying. I snuck an arrow into the back of the caster's head (...)

Ah, could this be it? A poisoned arrow in the back of the head??

the caster seemed to be having a great time launching lightning bolts at me.

Nope. He even had a good time after that.


Within seconds, I was standing before the Priory, a stately stone building, and found Jauffre not far inside. After handing over the Amulet, he told me I needed to go out to Kvetch in search of Martin, the emperor's son. A mere matter of seconds later, I'd fast-traveled over to Kvetch.

I thought we could only fast travel to already visited places...


This particular white horse cost 4,000 gold, which I definitely didn't have. Instead of paying, I just stole it.

I wonder if anyone will buy a horse, in Oblivion.

Should they die, you have to buy a new one.

You stole it, silly. You'll just have to steal another one.
 

Elwro

Arcane
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
11,749
Location
Krakow, Poland
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gwendo said:
I would like to watch a movie featuring this... It would be hilarious! Just imagine the actor changing equipment in the middle of a fight!
Well, it should be interesting enough in the 3rd person mode. Will the character cast spells while still holding his weapon or will his weapon disappear for a while? :D
 

damaged_drone

Novice
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
84
Location
new zealand
Gwendo said:
A few thoughts:

I snuck up behind one while stealthed, readied my bow and arrow and launched a sharp projectile at the back of his head. Upon impact, a message popped up at the top of the screen indicating I'd just done double damage with the sneak attack. The goblin tried to charge me afterwards (...)

Hummm... An arrow in the back of the head with double the damage... Didn't kill the damn goblin?

Since weapon swings and spell casts are initiated with different buttons, Right Trigger (RT) and Right Bumper (RB), respectively, this allowed for highly effective combat techniques. For instance, I could hit RT to swing the warhammer, hit RB right after to launch a fireball, switch over to my iron longsword and shield combo for added defense and faster attack speed, switch to a healing spell to regain health, then back to the hammer for a powerful finishing blow.

I would like to watch a movie featuring this... It would be hilarious! Just imagine the actor changing equipment in the middle of a fight!


Before doing anything, I opened my inventory and poisoned my sword with a potion I was carrying. I snuck an arrow into the back of the caster's head (...)

Ah, could this be it? A poisoned arrow in the back of the head??

the caster seemed to be having a great time launching lightning bolts at me.

Nope. He even had a good time after that.


Within seconds, I was standing before the Priory, a stately stone building, and found Jauffre not far inside. After handing over the Amulet, he told me I needed to go out to Kvetch in search of Martin, the emperor's son. A mere matter of seconds later, I'd fast-traveled over to Kvetch.

I thought we could only fast travel to already visited places...


This particular white horse cost 4,000 gold, which I definitely didn't have. Instead of paying, I just stole it.

I wonder if anyone will buy a horse, in Oblivion.

Should they die, you have to buy a new one.

You stole it, silly. You'll just have to steal another one.
1: "you critically hit raider in the head for 8 damage" sound familiar?
2: instant weapon switch ie fallout. instead of pulling out your sword, fallout let you pull out your quickslotted rocket launcher instantly.
3: honest characters will buy their horse. the game tempts you to break the law simulating real life moral decisions.
4: its entirely reasonable for wild animals to come into small towns to scavenge food at night, wtf are the majority of you cunts on about??? complain about valid problems sure...
 

Section8

Cipher
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Messages
4,321
Location
Wardenclyffe
Man, it's like Bethesda said "Wow, I love all the silly shit Bioware throw into their games in failed attempts to be funny, let's make all of our quests completely inane!"

I'd really fucking hate to think of what sort of shit they're going to pull out in Fallout's "hookers and drugs" world.
 

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Messages
26,884
Location
Cognitive Elite HQ
Probably the same thing Black Isle did in Fallout 2. Quite a few of that game's quests were pretty retarded. Quite a bit of everything in that game was pretty retarded.
 

elander_

Arbiter
Joined
Oct 7, 2005
Messages
2,015
damaged_drone said:
3: honest characters will buy their horse. the game tempts you to break the law simulating real life moral decisions.

You are one of those guys that feels good when doing good actions in a computer game aren't you?

damaged_drone said:
4: its entirely reasonable for wild animals to come into small towns to scavenge food at night, wtf are the majority of you cunts on about??? complain about valid problems sure...

There was an almost identical quest in Daggerfall. This quest looks like an easter egg for the older Daggerfall fans. No problem with that. It's way better than mages guild quests.
 

Rune_74

Novice
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
48
retarded

Vault dweller....man make a post that says you hate oblivion already....its seems like your masturbating to all this.

Like I said before we know you hate it...get over it.
 

damaged_drone

Novice
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
84
Location
new zealand
elander_ said:
damaged_drone said:
3: honest characters will buy their horse. the game tempts you to break the law simulating real life moral decisions.

You are one of those guys that feels good when doing good actions in a computer game aren't you?

damaged_drone said:
4: its entirely reasonable for wild animals to come into small towns to scavenge food at night, wtf are the majority of you cunts on about??? complain about valid problems sure...

There was an almost identical quest in Daggerfall. This quest looks like an easter egg for the older Daggerfall fans. No problem with that. It's way better than mages guild quests.
no, i play games to induce constipation. if youre so stupid that every decision you make in an rpg is purely economic then go fuck yourself.
the mage quest descriptions were relayed by some foetal alcohol sub-human that may well have missed some of the nuance of the quests. we'll see.
 

Lumpy

Arcane
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
8,525
elander_ said:
damaged_drone said:
3: honest characters will buy their horse. the game tempts you to break the law simulating real life moral decisions.

You are one of those guys that feels good when doing good actions in a computer game aren't you?
Are you fucking stupid? It's an RPG, goddamit, you're supposed to role-play.
 

damaged_drone

Novice
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
84
Location
new zealand
Stark said:
damaged_drone said:
4: its entirely reasonable for wild animals to come into small towns to scavenge food at night, wtf are the majority of you cunts on about??? complain about valid problems sure...

you were doing pretty well until this point. hello? a giant mountain lion appearing in your basement is entirely reasonable? No wonder folks here look down upon the average intelligence of Bethsoft fans...
i can elaborate if you are having difficulties comprehending wild animals entering buildings.
 

merry andrew

Erudite
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Messages
1,332
Location
Ellensburg
Lumpy said:
elander_ said:
You are one of those guys that feels good when doing good actions in a computer game aren't you?
Are you fucking stupid? It's an RPG, goddamit, you're supposed to role-play.
Role-playing is inefficient, just like not having a compass that tells you exactly where to go.
 

Mantiis

Cipher
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
1,786
kingcomrade said:
Probably the same thing Black Isle did in Fallout 2. Quite a few of that game's quests were pretty retarded. Quite a bit of everything in that game was pretty retarded.

I have had just about enough of this fallout 2 bashing; all you people suck.
 

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom