Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OBLIVION GERMAN VIDEO!!!

John_Blazze

Augur
Now, lets guess whats next to be announced that is not in the game anymore.... i hope its that elven faggot with 80s rock stars haircut and eyes problem.....

Mech

Cipher
Hehe. I was wondering how long it would take before the whole retarded shadows thing got here.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Oh dear. I just watched the thing.

Notice..........How.........Stupidly........Slowly.........People.......Speak.

And notice how stupidly quickly (and jerkily) combat proceeds.

Section8

Cipher
Am I the only one who noticed that gravity is completely FUBAR? Every goblin that gets launched drifts softly down to land, the rocket jumping arena warrior does the same. The tumbling rocks are slightly better, but they still look like ice cubes being dropped onto lino.

The animations aren't much chop (again) and look completely broken in some instances, like the guy in the tavern drinking for instance. They're a remarkable improvement on Morrowind, but they're still a long way behind the curve.

We see more evidence of the player being an observer, and I'm beginning to wonder how much PC<->NPC dialogue there will be. Also, it seems that nearly every NPC<->NPC conversation is just a transparent means of conveying info to the player. "It sounds like a truly mysterious place"; "He's the best smith around"; etc. It's auto-wiki. The "automatisch im journale" is a bit troubling too.

On the plus side, the combat does look like it might be fun for the same reasons Mount and Blade foot combat is fun, and the landscape is beautiful, so exploration is sure to be at the fore of the "gameplay" Oblivion offers.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I DARE say I liked the lightning staff. Kinda. The odd blue cloud at the original location of the enemy before it was hurled though the air by the very spell is kinda odd though, completely disconnected.

Well.. I noticed the sword impacts often didn't really cause any kind of reaction, especially obvious with the elf crossdesser at the end. Overall combat looks like it might not be too bad.

Allright, outside graphics are really pretty, seeing the city in the distance is quite cool. I guess that means they really are adressing the complaints about Morrowind, because the bland, "empty" outside has always been one of my main complaints.
Be careful what you wish for indeed..

I wonder if NPCs will again be as obnoxious as in MW, talking to the player just because he happens to pass by within several meters. I mean, every time. Even complaining about being bothered. Stupid fuckers.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Claw said:
I wonder if NPCs will again be as obnoxious as in MW, talking to the player just because he happens to pass by within several meters. I mean, every time. Even complaining about being bothered. Stupid fuckers.

I think that the only NPCs who did that were the sleepers - most minded their own business, and generally refused to say much of anything interesting to you at all.

Xi

Arcane
I think a lot of people build games up in there mind. Certainly it doesn't help when the developers tell us something that changes later on, but mostly people just exagerate things too much.

It is looking awesome so far! Theres a few things I agree with some of you on though.

Argonians in general, Beast races hands, lack of shadows on everything.

Im sure some of those things will change, but I can live with it if they don't. There will be bookoo mods to fix all these short comings. The only thing I ask that bethesda do is put the soft shadows in as an Ultra-High setting. Let the people with enough Juice be able to turn them on!

They have definitely improved animations and sound effects since the last vids I've seen. I'll give them that!

Cheers!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You think wrong. While NPCs generally had nothing of interest to say, they were always ready to hail me with a friendly "Leave me alone," "Make it quick!" or "What do you want?" whenever I walked by. Extremely irritating.

NPCs in Gothic were better, they just looked at me expectantly if I got close and they weren't busy.

PS:
Xi said:
There will be bookoo mods to fix all these short comings. The only thing I ask that bethesda do is put the soft shadows in as an Ultra-High setting. Let the people with enough Juice be able to turn them on!
Hello, Jan 28. I am sure Bethesda is relieved you don't expect them to put any actual gameplay or content, which is rightfully the honour and duty of the moddung community.

Hi, Codex.

Master Thief: I'll agree that heckling the thief's voice acting may be juvenile, but you have to admit that Facegen turned him into what appears to be a Sri Lankan / Latino downe syndrome victim with mild epilepsy. I say he be known henceforth as Antonio, ze Radiant Spaniard.

And on that topic, do shadows, Chefe! I loved the comic. :(

As long as you don't look like Antonio, you'll be fine.

From what little I could gather, though, only shadowing on objects (like that ridiculous ribcage and the chains from the E3 demo) have been axed. Characters and presumably the environment still do their thing. It's really much ado over nothing, but highly amusing nonetheless, considering how the "add children", "improve dialog", "give us levitation" and "more skills" camps were treated in the ESF.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Master Thief said:
If there are no shadows in Oblivion, Blood and Shadows is going to be really screwed and Im gonna look like a retard.

Oh, it's OK -

kathode said:
Sneaking in building shadows, Kathode?

You don't need shadows to have dark places, so yes, you can sneak through dark places.

Master Thief, just change your site name to "Blood and..... DARK PLACES! Oogeda boogeda!!"

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 6035&st=40

Zomg

Arbiter
Yeah - if there's no geometry shadowing, then we can start complaining from a gameplay angle. In the worst case scenario there should still be static pseudoshadowing that will get the job done frome a gameplay standpoint.

Twinfalls

Erudite
But there ain't any static shadowing either:

"Are you using any kind of pre-computed shadow technique for static shadows? If so, how well will they blend with the dynamic shadows?

We are not using any pre-computed techniques. The main reasons are that pre-computed shadow maps don’t mesh well with our dynamic time-of-day system. Also, relying on a completely dynamic solution allows much more flexibility for the artists to create whatever environment they want in an entirely WYSIWYG work environment."

http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/oblivion/

And this piece of bunkum:

Also, relying on a completely dynamic solution allows much more flexibility for the artists to create whatever environment they want in an entirely WYSIWYG work environment.

- means what? The cool 'environments' they can let their artists create are ones in which only NPCs cast shadows? OMGWYSIWYG!!11111

Fintilgin

Educated
Section8 said:
Am I the only one who noticed that gravity is completely FUBAR? Every goblin that gets launched drifts softly down to land, the rocket jumping arena warrior does the same. The tumbling rocks are slightly better, but they still look like ice cubes being dropped onto lino.

Well, you'll probably want to get used to wonky physics. They'll be with us for a while.

Graphics have taken 20+ years of development to get where they are now, but physics in games is still brand new. It's going to take quite some time until physics really start to look really good. If you were to compare the state of physics development to that of graphics, physics would probably look something like this right now:

Twinfalls

Erudite
Nah. The physics were already fine in the patched version of Trespasser back in 1998.

They haven't got the settings right in the video build. It remains to be seen if it's fixed by release...

Fintilgin

Educated
Twinfalls said:
Nah. The physics were already fine in the patched version of Trespasser back in 1998.

Maybe so. I never played Trespasser. The physics in all the games I've played have either seemed totally wonky or just weirdly 'off'. I all fairness I suspect 'realisitic' physics is a hell of a big order and things like Havoc use a lot of fudges, cheats, and shortcuts to get things looking half-way good.

I think that 'good' physics are going to take a lot of time and trial and error to get right. I also am skeptical that physics cards will catch on. I think we'll be more likely to see a small physics chip tacked on to graphics cards or something as a stopgap.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Trespasser was ahead of it's time for a FPS in a lot of ways. It had full body awareness, meaning you could move your view and see your own body. Also the main character was a woman. Which was important because how else could you look down and fap to your own cleavage?

obediah

Erudite
Misinformed Man said:
maybe it takes more space on the DVD to have shadows in and it would be too much? maybe there are other reasons we don't know that affected the devs decisions. i mean, we are just forum members, 99% of us know nothing of the development process.

i think its absurd to try and think you are smarter than the devs and that they are the ones making a stupid decision.

I'm not sure why but this quote just really clicked. You spend days, months, years with your peers and you forget where you actually lie in the grand scheme of things. We really are better people than those fuckknobs over there. I know a lot about software development, my world, and life in general. We disagree and insult each other like crazy, but we disagree because we follow different interpretations of facts, or have different ethical beliefs, not because we're just too damn stupid to think anything beyond what a person with perceived authority tells us. I know a lot about rpgs and other video games, I know a lot about what I like and don't like. I've been around long enough to get a sense of when someone is trying to put one over on me, and above all else, I would never use the term 'forum member' to describe my potential as a human being.

I can safely say I've never set around on the internet sucking someones dick for months on end (well there are people that I would grovel around - meeting Tom Waits would reduce me to the intellecual capacity of a 12 year old girl that just found out Timmy really likes her).

It's really odd after months and months of reading those posts and just thinking, gosh those people are crazy over there, or "twitch gamers" it finally dawned on me that many of them are just fucking dirt, and dumb dirt at that.

This drunken epiphany brought to you by the letter 'Newcastle' or rather a 12 pack of the letter 'Newcastle.

Section8

Cipher
Well, you'll probably want to get used to wonky physics. They'll be with us for a while.

Yeah, but I'm talking about gravity here. And I don't think I've seen any game using Havok look like it's using lunar gravity, except for that unfinished Oblvion build. If you're going to try and make melee combat look "kinetic", then you have to get the forces right, including the force of gravity. It looks especially stupid when your death animations launch a critter into the air, only to have them gently drift down. Even the one goblin that crumples as opposed to launching does so in slow motion.

That's probably my biggest irk with Bethesda, is that they're pushing things like graphics and physics instead of what I consider substance, and they can't even seem to get them right. Mind you, a build from 3-4 months before the release date is entitled to look a bit shabby, so time will tell.

kiss the cook

Novice
On the subject of flying goblins...

about 4 minutes into the video, the player hits a goblin that doesn't appear to fly vertically in the air. That might of been because it was jumping, or that stairs have some sort of affect on physics, which would be pretty fuckin stupid.

Twinfalls

Erudite
section8 said:

Exactly.

On a mildly related note, the official TES forums have gone down - from the weight of either the masses revolting over the no-shadows news, or the sheer embarrasment of Bethesda staff over their 'our graphix is teh bestest' hubris.

Temoid

Scholar
That german guy was extremely annoying with his talking about how oblivion is the best thing since his mothers cock and oh god freedom the npcs breathe and live in this wonderful world andARGH I just came!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom