Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OBLIVION GERMAN VIDEO!!!

Tintin

Arbiter
A large-scale battle in a city that's being destroyed?

I could find a Dunmer battling a rat and join in too, but it's nothing like what we saw in the demo.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
My point was that you could join in on predetermined battles. The scale may have changed - but does that really mean such an advance for the quest? You still have to go somewhere, and kill stuff..

Tintin

Arbiter
Nog Robbin said:
My point was that you could join in on predetermined battles. The scale may have changed - but does that really mean such an advance for the quest? You still have to go somewhere, and kill stuff..

It's like saying FPS and strategy games are pretty much the same....you still have to go somewhere, and kill stuff......

In MW you had two people fighting and you join in. In the quest we saw it was a large battle in an entire city (currently under destruction). Sure the premise is the same, but I don't see how anyone can say it's not better than the stuff we saw in MW.

I'm not sure how large scale the Kvatch battle really is, though. The demo showed us three legionnaires, one wounded soldier, three daedroth and one dremora. That hardly feels "large scale" in my book. In Bethesda's defense, that might not have been the entire battle, and you do get something of a sense of scale from the environment but it wasn't that much.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Tintin said:
You are told Kvatch is under attack and you go there and find a battle already underway and you have to join with the already present forces to suppress whatever enemy there is.

When was the last time you got something like that out of Morrowind's quests?

:roll:
You said "when was the last time you got something like that out of Morrowinds quests?". My point being the quest itself is nothing new - just on a bigger scale. Which you would expect in a newer game. The quest originality/complexity seems no better.

Anyway - I've watched the video... overall, I think it looks quite, well, pretty. If I can wander around aimlessly for a while I won't be too bothered. The outside scenary in particular looks worth traipsing around - and should hopefully give good scope for modders to come up with decent quests. Nice to see some more grimey looking cities/buildings (looks like moss or algae growing over a good number now). The creatures look interesting - land dreugh and spider daedra in particular. The ghost with the glass sword was pretty good too - and the headless zombie with the minotaur looked like a fun party guest.

These are the points I felt relevant when watching.
1. Munchkin faces. Everyone has a Gelfling (Dark Crystal) style roundedness about them.
2. Argonians. Yick. What have they done to the proud beast race as seen in MW? Poor lizard people. Even their voices have been ruined somewhat - at least from that sample.
3. Hands. Still seem somewhat disconnected.
4. Campness. What's with all the elbow holding hand waving going on? Who did they model their conversations on? Graham Norton or Dale Winton? (UK readers will know who they are).
5. Moon fighting. Yeah - the gravity seems a bit off to say the least.
6. Pow - super uber blast attack! What's with the flying creatures after being hit? I didn't realise a burning sword blade actually had TNT packed into it. Or maybe the golbin was carrying some and the blade set it off?
7. Staffs. Oh dear. Yeah - looks pretty, but such a waste of a decent item for a mage/monk/pilgrim. Looks so gamey.
8. Skating away on the ice of... characters still gliding around in battle - particularly that elven ruins defender. Looks at him go. He must have greased wheels under his feet, such was his grace over the grassy terrain.
9. Sri Lankan woodelf? WTF? More campness abounds. People are going to get annoyed with their voices... again.
10. Drink, drink, drink. How quick was that guy drinking his beer? I mean, yeah, you can down it in one if you want, but he just swigged, swigged, swigged, swigged...
11. Flame atronach? It wasn't, was it? That tiny little flaming imp thing that was summoned up. Ah bless. How could you bring yourself to kill such a sweet thing. And they said there were no children in MW - surely that's a child atronach?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Not necessarily related to Oblivion or the Elder Scrolls in general, but... One thing that always bugs me in most RPGs which use anthropomorphic races is that they're basically just a humanoid body with the ocasional beast or animal heads and appendages, and that's just it. It's like every anthropomorphic race is just a humanoid with an animal suit or disguise going around, as if they were larping furries or something.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Role-Player said:
Not necessarily related to Oblivion or the Elder Scrolls in general, but... One thing that always bugs me in most RPGs which use anthropomorphic races is that they're basically just a humanoid body with the ocasional beast or animal heads and appendages, and that's just it. It's like every anthropomorphic race is just a humanoid with an animal suit or disguise going around, as if they were larping furries or something.
Well, the beasts in MW were somewhat more beast like. But people complained about having a race that couldn't wear boots or a full face helm (I mean, they even looked totally different, so why expect them to wear normal human equipment?). But anyway, the devs reduced the races to nothing more than men in fancy masks so now everyone can end up almost totally the same but with a different mask on. There's progress for ya.

HardCode

Erudite
Levski 1912 said:
Is there a sudden influx of ex-ESF members or is this beer making me imagine things again?

This is perfect. The TES forums are down, the brain-dead masses come here and get assiminlated into the hive mind, then they return to the TES forums and have a clue about RPG games. Then, they start posting with intelligence and knowledge, and Bethesda has a shit fit because the RPG Codex transformed their target audience of ADHD-pre-teens into knowledgeable RPG players. The game gets delayed another 6 months and TES series dies of lack of interest.

Mech

Cipher
Section8 said:
Weird. Everyone was complaining about Bethesda focusing on kewl graphicz. Now that the graphics aren't that good, you all turn into graphic-whores.
Who the heck cares about shadows anyway?

Well, we've already resigned ourselves to not getting the stuff we want, and so now we're questioning the integrity of what was put in its stead.

Or in otherwords, if it can be bitched about, then it's your job.

This is perfect. The TES forums are down, the brain-dead masses come here and get assiminlated into the hive mind, then they return to the TES forums and have a clue about RPG games. Then, they start posting with intelligence and knowledge, and Bethesda has a shit fit because the RPG Codex transformed their target audience of ADHD-pre-teens into knowledgeable RPG players. The game gets delayed another 6 months and TES series dies of lack of interest.

Now that is classic. :D I bet they will start posting lots of tubgirl and goatse too, since that seems to be what the intelligence you get from here causes people to do.

HardCode

Erudite
Lumpy said:
Weird. Everyone was complaining about Bethesda focusing on kewl graphicz. Now that the graphics aren't that good, you all turn into graphic-whores.

No, stupid, we are busting on the shit graphics because they were what cause the RPG-ness of the game to get gayer and gayer. Now that even the graphics aren't all that Bethesda claimed they would be, we are ZING-ing Bethesda because, "Then what's left of the game?" More or less, restating that they fucked up sacrificing graphics for game play. And now that they alienated the RPG players, they will slowly alienate the ADHD graphic whore twitch kiddes by the time Oblivion is released.

Galaga Bee

Novice
stalin_brando said:
3 things:

2. One of the titles states "Mein Kampf Beginnen" or something like that. What are those Krauts up to now?

For those who do not understand german, "Mein Kampf Beginnen" means "My Struggle Begins".

HardCode

Erudite
Tintin said:
Twinfalls said:
1. 'Attack on Kvatch' - you are told Kvatch is being attacked; you go there to fight.

You are told Kvatch is under attack and you go there and find a battle already underway and you have to join with the already present forces to suppress whatever enemy there is.

When was the last time you got something like that out of Morrowind's quests?

:roll:

Pretty much the same MW quest where you go to that Daedric ruin and the Ordinators are fighting the Daedra worshippers. Of course, in the grandeure that is MW, the Ordinators seem to attack you, too, for no apparent reason.

Tintin

Arbiter
Galaga Bee said:
stalin_brando said:
3 things:

2. One of the titles states "Mein Kampf Beginnen" or something like that. What are those Krauts up to now?

For those who do not understand german, "Mein Kampf Beginnen" means "My Struggle Begins".

And it was Hitler's book.

Or at least "Mein Kampf" was. Maybe it's a new wave.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
HardCode said:
No, stupid, we are busting on the shit graphics because they were what cause the RPG-ness of the game to get gayer and gayer. Now that even the graphics aren't all that Bethesda claimed they would be, we are ZING-ing Bethesda because, "Then what's left of the game?" More or less, restating that they fucked up sacrificing graphics for game play. And now that they alienated the RPG players, they will slowly alienate the ADHD graphic whore twitch kiddes by the time Oblivion is released.

Fuck you. All I need are graphics. You guys are expecting too much from a game. Choices? Consequences? R00fles! Aribeth FTW! Bioware rules!

Tintin

Arbiter
Pretty much the same MW quest where you go to that Daedric ruin and the Ordinators are fighting the Daedra worshippers. Of course, in the grandeure that is MW, the Ordinators seem to attack you, too, for no apparent reason.

And you can find no difference in going to a ruin and finding a few guys fighting, and going to a city and finding the entire city in ruins and under attack with a hectic(disputed) large scale battle going on.

Mech

Cipher
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:

The graphics are fine, and the fact that you think they are shit either proves that you ARE a graphics whore, or you get your shit and giggles from bitching about it on the internet despite the fact that you don't care about graphics.

Either of which makes you a pretty sad individual.

HardCode

Erudite
Mech said:
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:

The graphics are fine, and the fact that you think they are shit either proves that you ARE a graphics whore, or you get your shit and giggles from bitching about it on the internet despite the fact that you don't care about graphics.

Either of which makes you a pretty sad individual.

You miss the point. The point is that Half-Life 2 has better graphics, physics, and animations that what we have seen of Oblivion. And the point is that Bethesda sacrificed RPG-ness for so-called next-gen gprahics and physics. They failed. I am pointing out the irony of it all. Please comprehend.

Mech

Cipher
HardCode said:
You miss the point. The point is that Half-Life 2 has better graphics, physics, and animations that what we have seen of Oblivion. And the point is that Bethesda sacrificed RPG-ness for so-called next-gen gprahics and physics. They failed. I am pointing out the irony of it all. Please comprehend.

Oh right, Half Life. We all know they were bragging about how their game was going to be superior to that.
Oh wait...

HardCode

Erudite
Mech said:
HardCode said:

Oh right, Half Life. We all know they were bragging about how their game was going to be superior to that.
Oh wait...

Are you really this much of an asshole? They claimed "epic, unparalleled, next-gen, blah blah blah graphics and physics" HL2 is a great point of reference.

Mech

Cipher
HardCode said:
Mech said:
HardCode said:

Oh wait...

Are you really this much of an asshole? They claimed "epic, unparalleled, next-gen, blah blah blah graphics and physics" HL2 is a great point of reference.

What? You mean they were actually advertisting their own game as being good using exagerations like every other company in the world?

Geez, what is this world coming to.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Tintin said:

And you can find no difference in going to a ruin and finding a few guys fighting, and going to a city and finding the entire city in ruins and under attack with a hectic(disputed) large scale battle going on.
I can see the difference on a scale issue. As a quest - no - practically no difference. It's still "go there and help them kill that". So as such, hardly a major quest improvement. Just more fighting.

Drain

Scholar
Role-Player said:
Anthropomorphic races are easier for player to associate to. Races whose life, form and motivations are very different from homo sapiens would feel too alien and may cause repulsion. Anthropomorphic races plague not only RPGs, but fantasy books as well(elves, orcs, dwarves, etc. are humans, but with some qualities emphasised or distorted to grotesque proportions). I would love to see in a cRPG some weird alien races like cthulhu.

Sabregirl

Scholar
Mech said:
What? You mean they were actually advertisting their own game as being good using exagerations like every other company in the world?
So, just because it's common practice, that means they shouldn't be called on exagerations and outright misinformation?

@Drain-In my book the more different the races are from human the better, you're right that there probaly are some limits as to what different players can handle. But yes if there's ever a decent cRPG with really nicely done *reallY* alien races (not tolkein/human clones) I'd be extatic.

-S

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Sabregirl said:
Mech said:
So, just because it's common practice, that means they shouldn't be called on exagerations and outright misinformation?

@Drain-In my book the more different the races are from human the better, you're right that there probaly are some limits as to what different players can handle. But yes if there's ever a decent cRPG with really nicely done *reallY* alien races (not tolkein/human clones) I'd be extatic.

-S
Genuinely non human races would be good - but imagine the fuss the playing audience would kick up when their 8 tentacled insectoid plasma cloud couldn't wear the boots of uberness that human characters could... :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom