Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview at GameSpot

bryce777

Erudite
Re: It's always something

Remax said:
I remember when automapping was added to CRPG's, and the hard core players complained that the games were being dumbed down for the masses. Or when compasses were added and some players thought it made exploration too easy. Or when dialog trees began to take over for straight text input (where you had to "what about the kidnappers?" or "tell me about the quest") and old-timers complained about the lack of variety.

All of these features are standard now.

Enough with the "dumbing down for the masses" argument. It's old and tired.

Automapping I kind of have mixed feelings on In a big city not having it is lame...especially looking for some dopy NPC for the 80th time, but I sort of miss it in the dungeons.

Dialog trees really do limit what you can do. I mean, seriously, all you do is find people in the right order and talk to them. I think it really does degrade the gameplay a bit, though it does make it much easier obviously.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Spacemoose said:
The computer is automating this task of finding the bandits' lair so to say. So there is less GAME to play and no sense of accomplishment for for finding the bandits' lair.

From what I've read it sounds like if they want you to find something (ala, secret bandits lair) it won't be on the map or compass. I'm guessing it's used for 'go talk to so in so in so in so town'. And I think they're only doing that because it sounds like with the AI they won't nessicarilly be in town, or in a static place in town. Which would probably save some tedium.

I know MSFD addressed the concerns a long time ago on the beth forums when the compass was introduced. I might look up some quotes later.

edit: here

On Fast Travel:

You can't fast travel if you're in combat.

You can't fast travel if you're in an interior (or a dungeon).

You can only fast travel to places you've already been to.

Time passes when you fast travel, so if you're poisoned for example, you may die before travel is completed.

And finally, you don't need to use it. At all.

On complaints about parts of quests on the compass:

Did NPC's in Morrowind have schedules that sent them all over the game world?

From another Dev on compass:

The quest compass is not Satan incarnate. So far, no one who has played the game has looked at it, and covered their eyes screaming out "THIS IS RUINING MY IMMERSION!!!" It is not a bright neon arrow pointing you exactly where to go. We have total control over it and can turn them on and off for every part of every quest, so if we want you to SEARCH for something, you will have to search for it. If said searching is just going to be an annoying pain (i.e. Caldera witch quest, i.e. a guy who moves around all over the place) then we can turn it on. Some quests might have MULTIPLE targets. You will not be able to play the game with blinders on, only looking at the compass.

Breaking freedom would be forcing you to follow these indicators constantly. We're not doing that.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I'm not all that big on being lead around (I like exploring)
....but it sounds like the idea is being well-considered, going by Neutral's thread-dredging.
I'm not worried.

corvax

Augur
space captain said:
you are an idiot - its not labeling buildings on the map, its pointing out where to go each step in a quest
a guy tells you to find the mysterious hermit hiding in the desert - so you pull open your map and find the spot marked "GO HERE NEXT DOPE DEE DOH"
hes not hiding anymore is he

1. i'm not gonna start name calling cus' it's pointless online
2. you don't know enough to say that it is going to be exactly like in your corny little example
3. now let me clarify things - the point is that just like labeling obvious locations on a map, using a compass to direct you to obvious locations makes sense especially in a game like oblivion. in morrowind sometimes it was annoying to look for a cave 'x' especially where in that given location there is 10 more caves like that

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spazmo said:
I agree, having directions to places that aren't supposed to be a challenge to find just makes sense. There's lots of actual valid stuff to complain about with BethSoft games, so try not to slam them for the good stuff.
Oh, I don't know. I think the question isn't *if* it's done but *how* it's done. I like it when a game uses objects in the gameworld to help the player rather than arbitrary interface elements. Like the maps in Gothic, for instance.

Damn, finding a person who's running all over the world cound be an interesting quest WITHOUT an interface element showing me the direction. You know, like following hints and stuff. If you really want an easier way, there is always magic.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Claw said:
Damn, finding a person who's running all over the world cound be an interesting quest WITHOUT an interface element showing me the direction. You know, like following hints and stuff.

Then there's not really running all over the world then are they? You're just playing a game of find the dots that connects to the static NPC (using most games as an example, the NPC would be static at the end of the line). Unless the quest made the computer leave traces of the NPC that's NOT static as the AI takes it wherever. Though with Oblivion it seems like that would be possible, and I bet they will probably make a quest like that.

If I recall correctly, it seems like they said that the AI has led to alot of good possibilities for quests, and that they're really experimenting with it. So it should be interesting with what they can come up with.

Spazmo

Erudite
I said that isn't supposed to be a challenge to find. If you have a quest to track down some guy who's hidden, then obviously having an arrow pointing at him is ridiculous. But if you need to head over to the Guild of Whatever that's not exactly secret, then there's no reason not to have a compass pointer. Even better would be the ability to choose locations on the map and then have the game guide you towards them, with instant world map travel for really distant places. If there's one thing I hate in RPGs, it's all the tedious walking you end up doing between this place and that.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Way to miss the point, though; I use paragraphs for a reason. Besides, who said the guy was hidden? He's simply moving around - you know, like a living person might.
Anyway, I clearly stated it's personal preference and don't tell me whether or not "there's a reason" for that. As long as the game design doesn't rely on the compass and I can ignore it - much better turn it off - I don't have a big problem.

As for map travel, I don't see the point of mentioning it in the context, but auto navigation would be interesting. After all, many games already have pathfinding and don't require the player to navigate his characters or units manually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom