Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview, rated R

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I wonder if there'll be a mover's guild?

PC: Got any quests for me, oh wise and wondrous master mover guild master sir?

NPC: Yes. You need to go to Mrs. McFluffles and help her rearrange her furniture. I hope your Feng Shui skill is in top form, though. She gets a might off in the head if she doesn't have perfect balance and harmony in her little universe.

PC: *to self* Good thing I've been spending all that time rearranging furniture in my own home. With my Feng Shui of 98, I should be able to have this lady begging me for sex.....

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
jiujitsu said:
Yea, kind of like what people do with The Sims and The Sims 2. I bet you didn't know that Saint, did you? Nope don't think so. Wouldn't make sense that you would. :cool: :lol:

Furniture in The Sims 2 actually does something and there are aspects of the game that revolve around a lot of it. Unless Oblivion has Sims-like wants and needs like comfort from sitting and other things, which would SUCK in an CRPG where you're supposed to dungeon crawl and the like, then what's the point?

Hajo

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Furniture in The Sims 2 actually does something and there are aspects of the game that revolve around a lot of it. Unless Oblivion has Sims-like wants and needs like comfort from sitting and other things, which would SUCK in an CRPG where you're supposed to dungeon crawl and the like, then what's the point?

I think the player did it for the looks, not for the function. The tester who I had mentioned above got some stuff, including a valuable carpet, from the temple and some more from the castle. It was quite obvious that he tried to improve the looks of his home.

Some people play games like childs play with toys. There isn't a immediate need for sense, advancement or use, some things are just fun to do. Stuffing a home like a kings chamber could be just fun. Other players might like a different style, and collect skulls and bones to furnish their homes. Don't ask them for the use. It's just cool to be able to do it :)

freelance

Novice
When I tried the EQ2 beta I made it my mission in life to reach seemingly unreachable spots on roofs and such. Sure I could go join the grind, but I found some satisfaction in doing something else for a change.
Its a "build it and they'll come" thing I guess".

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Is it really that much fun to sit in a damned chair in a game?
It's meant to captivate Bethesda's stoner fans. It works like this:

Stoner sits at a PC playing Oblivion (DHUDE THAT NAME IS SOH FUHKIN COOL).
Stoner's character sits in chair (CHECK THAT OUT! FUHKIN COOL).
Stoner, after zoning out for several minutes, realizes that he's sitting in a chair, AND his character is sitting in a chair TOO!

...facing mirror effect ensues...

DHUDE THAT'S LIKE FUHKIN INFINITY AND SHIT!

Stoner gets "trippy" ideas for hours, giggles freqently.

Minimum design, Maximum impact.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
So let me get this straight -- people complained that characters in Morrowind always stood. And now, people are complaining that characters in Oblivion CAN sit down. Glad we've got all the bases covered. :D

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
So let me get this straight -- people complained that characters in Morrowind always stood. And now, people are complaining that characters in Oblivion CAN sit down. Glad we've got all the bases covered. :D

I'm betting people are hoping for something like some sort of perpetual motion system :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Two different groups of people, Smiley. The people you're bringing up are the ones that say, "Wouldn't it be cool if..", while some people here ask, "What would that do and why would you want to do it?" If the only reason people want to sit down is so they can STRIKE A POSE for screenshots, I don't see much point in it. You're talking about a lot of work for animators as well as taking up something on the interface in order to allow the player to sit.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
It's all about symmetry -- we are trying to allow NPC's to be able to do as much that the player can do as possible, and vice-versa. Since NPC's can sit, so can the player.

And I know it's two different groups -- that's why I said we had all bases covered :)

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would the option to move furniture around make more sense if you could do it at the local blind guy's house while he was asleep? :D

Rosh

Erudite
A rephrasing of the questions, and the original answers. :twisted:

1. How long will it take to walk from one end of the game world, to the other?

A: About three years real world time given the starting run speed.

2. Cyrodiil is not an island -- what have you done to make sure the player doesn't leave the province?

A: We're thinking of chain link fence.

3. What have you done to make the game world more realistic?

A: There will be thousands of AI-simulated nobodies, so you can take forever to guess which person you really need to talk to in order to get things moving faster than a snail's pace. EDIT: To clear up any confusion, that does not apply to running speed, you'll need to train that by auto-running in a house for a few real-world days as usual.

4. Will the furniture in the game be moveable, so the player can furnish his own house?

A: And a goldfish, too!

========

1. Will anyone care to explore the entire world, or will they tire of Nondescript Town #72354 seeming almost the same as Nondescript Town #32?

2. Cyrodiil is not an island -- what have you done to make sure the player doesn't leave the province for a more enthralling gameplay experience in a BioWare game?

3. What more have you done to make people quickly tire of hunting the proverbial needle in the haystack, of finding any person that will make *something* happen in the game, amidst the hundreds of flesh atronachs?

4: What other fanservice are you planning on putting in that otherwise has little relation to making the game enjoyable after slugging past the 50th hour spent running to nowhere?

All in good fun. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom