Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion official devairy at the official site

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href="http://bethsoft.com/">Bethesda</a> developer <b>Brendan Anthony</b> has written a <A href="http://bethsoft.com/newsletter/devdiary_12.15.05.html">developer diary</a> about the magic system in <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a>. It basically talks about the spell effects, using swords and spells, and if you don't want to use a sword:
<br>
<blockquote>"Yeah", I hear you say, "that’s all well and good for Battlemages, but what about all of us pure magic users?" Take my advice – lose the sword and replace it with a staff enchanted with a ranged spell. These babies act just like rocket launchers; when used, the caster holds the staff out in front of him/herself and hurls a powerful projectile out of the business end. Best of all, just like normal weapons, you are able to use these enchanted staffs while casting regular spells with your free hand, an experience that you won’t want to miss. Combine all of this with the fact that Magicka now regenerates constantly (just like Fatigue, albeit more slowly) and mages can be pretty badass indeed.</blockquote>
<br>
What's not to like about rocket launchers?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Bluebottle</b>!
<br>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Well, if it's like the enchantments in Morrowind it would only have a limited number of charges and they it would have to recharge over time. So, you shoot ten fireballs and then you are sitting there with no magicka and no skill with a weapon. In other words: ur ded faget.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Is there an "Artifacts" skill or something for using magic items?

That or mana regeneration potions work, too.

tanjo

Novice
This is just what CRPG's need. Like I've been saying for years, computer role playing games need to be more like first person shooters.

AZ

Liturgist
Wow, rocket launcher? I wonder why don't they just call it "Fantasy Doom".

Fodel

Novice
This time around, the team wanted to give each projectile type its own flavor, both through unique gameplay perks and cool graphical effects.

Mmm, interesting :D

Balor

Arcane
Fuck the staves.
The Script Effect is the shit, while possibility existed in MW, it would be so much easier and much more useable now.

I'll surely make a spell effect that, while costing a great amount to cast, would ignore reflections and resistances, like 'Quench life' or something.
Pure mages rejoice.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Balor said:
The Script Effect is the shit, while possibility existed in MW, it would be so much easier and much more useable now.

And you guys thought we didn't care. ;)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
SlavemasterT said:
Staffs are like "rocket launchers" ? Really, I think they must just be trying to bait us with comments like this.

The thought crossed my mind too - "this one goes out to our soft-spoken friends at the Codex" :)

Balor

Arcane
Well, you get +20 points, and now rank -80.
You still have a lot of work to reach positive disposition :P.

Getting to work on Script Skill and getting spears back in (my WoT TC is, well, fucked w/o them) should be a nice start.
If CS and RAI will turn out less buggy and limited overall then I expect, you may also get a quite few points. ;)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Bethesda: We got rid of the spears and crossbows but hey, we've got rocket launchers! Super cool huh?

Next you'll find that while they've taken out horseback combat, they've got this really cool gravity gun...

Balor

Arcane
No, in fact, they upgraded it with 'cool physics'.
So, physgun allright.

Dreagon

Scholar
Ooohhh!! Staffs like rocket launcher!. No, they haven't dumbed this title down for a particular audience. No indeedy!

crpgnut

Augur
It'd really help if every Dev at Bethesda didn't sound like a clueless graphics whore. Besides that, I was really encouraged by the tidbits that were dropped. MSFD sounds like he can talk magic now, so I'm curious as to whether any form of flying/levitation is in. Can I ( okay Balor maybe) create a Pegasus and fly it around? I want to be Perseus :)

Balor

Arcane
Well, it was already done in MW, and I don't really think that they dumbed down CS enough to make it impossible. But you may never know...

geminito

Liturgist
Ever heard of D&D? Wand of Fireballs? Wand of Magic Missiles? Staff of Fireballs? Staff of Magic Missiles?

Staves that shoot destructive magic spells are hardly a new idea. And I wouldn't say D&D is like a first person shooter because it has them.

elander_

Arbiter
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Balor said:

And you guys thought we didn't care. ;)

How flexible is the scripting system used in spells ? I mean can we create a spell that follows the target once cast, for example ?

Yeah yeah first rocket launchers now homing missiles. But the Elderscrolls combat system was allways been action intensive. People who buy these games expect to see a bit of tasty action. So excuse me if i don't see the problem here.

Atrokkus

Erudite
hate it hate it hate it
i hate their view on pure mages.

A pure mage Must be able to cursh his enemies without *ANY ITEMS* at all. Enchantment was a huge scourge of Morrowind, it ruined the magic system completely and made those rocket launchers instead of real and challenging magic.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
metallix said:
hate it hate it hate it
i hate their view on pure mages.

A pure mage Must be able to cursh his enemies without *ANY ITEMS* at all. Enchantment was a huge scourge of Morrowind, it ruined the magic system completely and made those rocket launchers instead of real and challenging magic.

You could. It was very challenging, but you definitely could. I don't think it's necessarily bad when one character class is harder to play than others. It adds to replay value. So, just play a mage who things staffs and enchanted items are beneath him. Since you are at the Codex you are probably an experienced enough roleplayer to pull it off.
It shouldn't be any worse than playing tourist in Nethack :)

elander_

Arbiter
If it is like in Daggerfall you will only gain access to the mages guild enchater services much later in the game when you raise to the higher ranks. However this was also a mater of great controversy among fans because the enchanter made you a god player.

I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes with the magic system in all the previous games. I mean when you have a full set of Daedric armor, weapons and jewelry with enchantments that raise your skills and attributes to whatever you want it completely defies the purpose of having attributes and skills in the first place and you stop identifying yourself with the character you have been playing with.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Combat that actually sounds interesting. That's great, if you ask me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom