Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion preview at Gaming Target

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.gamingtarget.com>Gaming Target</a> have posted a <a href=http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=4620>preview</a> of Bethesda's upcoming fourth installment in the Elder Scrolls series. There's really no new information here and the preview mainly stresses the same old crap: PATRICK STEWART!, Radiant AI and flashy graphics.<blockquote>Bethesda Softworks needs no introduction. As one of the most respected developers in the industry, their games have always displayed the highest quality and loftiest of production values. The Elder Scrolls series of massive fantasy RPGs are some of the most renowned titles available, and as Xbox fans know, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was successfully ported from PC to Microsoft’s machine and enjoyed by a legion of console gamers. With the upcoming launch of the Xbox 360, Bethesda prepares to unleash the most intense and detailed RPG ever with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Not to be outdone, Bethesda also has a version lined up for the PC that promises to be just as impresssive. Set in the world of Tamriel, ESIV puts you into the center of a massive adventure and sets you loose in what promises to be the most immersive game universe yet seen. Read on to see why you should already have a copy pre-ordered…</blockquote>Hmm... intense. There's a word that hasn't been beaten into submission by ad copy yet. I've always wanted to play an intensely immersive epic adventure or something.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Chefe

Erudite
With the upcoming launch of the Xbox 360, Bethesda prepares to unleash the most intense and detailed RPG ever with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

PREPARE TO UNLEASH THE BEAST!

I hope we're ready.

Not to be outdone, Bethesda also has a version lined up for the PC that promises to be just as impresssive.

I like how the PC is mentioned secondly, as if the game was designed for the 360 and is being ported to the PC. Beautiful.

AirBreather

Novice
"During your quest, you’ll also have the opportunity to join one of many different factions that exist in the Elder Scroll’s universe. These include the Mages Guild, the Thieves Guild, the Fighters Guild, The Nine Divines..."

And hello... :)

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Please answer me this question everyone.

What games/movies/products of any kind are not hyped?

Everyone here whines about hype including myself. I fucking hate it. But would profits be made without it? I think it would be wise not to judge a game based on a bunch of hype.

Developers make the game they envision. Or at least try to. It's the executive officers of publishing companies/producers that decide how it will be shown to the public. They don't care about the game. They want money. They aren't gamers or game makers. They're money makers. It's a business first. Never forget that.

So, fuck it. Eventually, the truth will be told and we will get the information that we want. The money makers beat to death few of the game's features that they think will get it to sell. They are probably right. But I'm sure the game will have at least some unmentioned qualities that we will all appreciate.

Micmu

Magister
Most detailed (adventuring) game, maybe. But as a cRPG, never. It is theoretically impossible.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
micmu said:
Most detailed (adventuring) game, maybe. But as a cRPG, never. It is theoretically impossible.

That depends on your personal definition of what a RPG is...

Micmu

Magister
GhanBuriGhan said:
That depends on your personal definition of what a RPG is...
True.
I didn't say it isn't going to be a RPG, not at all. It is going to be a RPG, without a doubt, but not as hardcore as, say, DF or other hardcore RPGs.
It is just kinda annoying to see best RPG hyping all over the media without explanations other than fancy graphix, super size and cute horsies. No one mentions the dialogue (Wiki) or interaction between factions and NPCs (numerical, "Disposition" again?), how DEEPLY will your actions be reflected in the world, etc...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If an RPG has the most boring, and atrocious combat a developer can muster, it will be heralded as the best RPG ever made. See: Arcanum.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I don't think anyone denies that Arcanum's combat was found wanting. It just came with a big world, lots of ways to create custom characters, nonlinear gameplay, and one of the more unique worlds in gaming.

At least the preview didn't end with, "Bethseda has also recently required the lisence to Fallout franchise. While they haven't made any announcements yet, we're hopeful this means the franchise will finally be done justice with a console, real time, action-RPG."

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Sol Invictus said:
If an RPG has the most boring, and atrocious combat a developer can muster, it will be heralded as the best RPG ever made. See: Arcanum.
Everyone knows the best is Fallout, silly.

In all seriousness though Deus Ex is my favorite game (even though it isn't a pure RPG) and Fallout is #2. I didn't notice any problem with Arcanum's combat when I played the demo though.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Bethesda prepares to unleash the most intense and detailed RPG ever with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

So detailed they didnt put in crossbows, axes, etc.

graphics != detail

Zli

Novice
LlamaGod said:
Bethesda prepares to unleash the most intense and detailed RPG ever with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

So detailed they didnt put in crossbows, axes, etc.

graphics != detail
Axes are there, the only thing missing is the Axe skill. Proficiency with axes is determined by, you've guessed it, your Blunt skill. :lol:

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
The combat was fun, it was the balancing and difficulty that needed work (Thanks, Chris!).

Jed

Cipher
Zli said:
Axes are there, the only thing missing is the Axe skill. Proficiency with axes is determined by, you've guessed it, your Blunt skill. :lol:
Maybe they use the wrong end of the axe in this adventure. Or just the handle. An axe-handle delivers a mighty whoopin', y'know.

Spazmo

Erudite
Does having axes in but handling them with the blunt weapons skill really count as having axes? I mean, in that case, they're really just more blunt weapons with different damage values. Unless axes actually do something special to set them apart from regular blunt weapons, they're not really axes.

This is one thing that sounds neat in (oh god admin incest) Age of Decadence. VD has each type of weapon doing some special thing. For example, spears are good for reach and daggers... do... something (sorry, VD, can't remember). But basically, daggers can do something that swords can't, which makes them more than just small swords with shitty damage values that nobody will ever use. This is a good idea, IMO.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I've just registered this marvelous forum. Hello everyone.

I'm sure it's going to be a great game, especially after user mods but [rant] we already know that it's going to be a xboxified RPG, right? Why don't they just make a newer version of Daggerfall? Because dumb kids will be frustrated because there's no magical compass that points you to the main quest goal automatically.
No mounted combat in late 2005? :roll: Even Mount & Blade can do that...

Anyway, I still think that cRPGs are dead and the last one was Wizardry 8.[/rant]

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Zli said:
I know that the real complaint is the steady attrition of different combat skills etc, but if I were to put that disappointing fact aside, in and of itself I do not see a huge difference to the way an axe or a hammer is used in combat.
Sacred combines them into one skill and I don't mind that; there are probably other games too.
There is perhaps less difference between the usage of an axe and the usage of a hammer than there is between a rapier and a broadsword or a mace/handled morningstar and one of those morningstar thingies with a small length of chain in the middle, yet those examples often also get chucked together into the same skill with no complaint.

Spazmo said:
Does having axes in but handling them with the blunt weapons skill really count as having axes? I mean, in that case, they're really just more blunt weapons with different damage values. Unless axes actually do something special to set them apart from regular blunt weapons, they're not really axes.
Exactly; the skill that enables their usage is the same, but that is not to say that their effect in combat needs to be.
If creatures have different resistances vs blunt/edged/pointed then there might be some situations where you would choose one over the other.
If they don't, then, yes, the difference is merely cosmetic. Unfortunately, I think the last is the most likely.
But just like with Sacred, I don't think it will change whether or not I like the game.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Erm, yeah. Kind of.
I was checking occasionally, but only really the front page.

I was finding it hard to sleep last night, so I checked into IRC (ghost town!) while drunk and got talking to Sol. Talked about a few threads here.
Thought I would have a bit of a read this morning, and couldn't resist commenting :)

Edit:
Actually, I get a feeling of deja vu. Same old arguments happening all over again. Same retards, or possibly different retards from the same clone factory. I'm not certain if I should feel comforted or disappointed :lol:
Also, what happened to Fez, he still hasn't surfaced? Is there some fracas I should be aware of? (someone on IRC alluded to something :wink: )

corvax

Augur
Shagnak said:
There is perhaps less difference between the usage of an axe and the usage of a hammer than there is between a rapier and a broadsword or a mace/handled morningstar and one of those morningstar thingies with a small length of chain in the middle, yet those examples often also get chucked together into the same skill with no complaint.
Exacto Mundo! Picking on the axe/blunt weapon issue is one the bitchy side. Someone mentioned this example previously: Fallout - Melee weapons. Enough said.

LlamaGod said:
...it only has specific things and isnt really detailed.
The gameworld is detailed as fuck only the way it functions is extremely sterile and static.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom