Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure Games

Apollion

Scholar
I'm always on the lookout for something I haven't seen yet. So maybe you can help me out you glorious bastards.

I'm thinking indie games, underrated stuff (not the obvious, I swear if I hear Planescape Torment I'm gonna bust a nut), and even the old forgotten stuff, even though I've got that pretty much covered.

I've been searching the youtube lets play channels and picked up a few I hadn't heard of that look pretty cool... Spelunky, The Guild 2, Cave Story, and The Precursors. So I'm talking nowhere near mainstream games, anything and everything else. Just throw it out there.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
I've only ever met one other person who played any Avernum/Geneforge game before joining the Codex.

Elona is a moderately obscure rougelike, a pretty unique one at that.

Katawa Shoujo :smug:

Machines an RTS with optional FPS elements.

Shadowman, though I didn't like it that much.

Total Annihilation is not obscure at all but it never won a popularity contest either, and you can thank Starcraft for that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
King of Dragon Pass. It's awesome. It also doesn't really belong to any genre, it's just that fucking unique.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ascension to the Throne

A mix of turn based strategy and RPG in which you take control of a king who lost his land, followers, and finds himself in a unknown land. The game has a average story, bad graphics even for time it was released and quests are mostly fed ex or "go there kill that" type, but the combat is very good and i found the game more fun then many high budget games.

Zanzarah Hidden Portal is a game that i accidentally discovered a year ago and it provided me with many hours of fun. The game is a mix of a third person fantasy adventure with pokemons and first person combat. As you explore a certain fantasy world in a need of saving from ancient evil you will gather demons, fairies, undead and other creatures that you will lead in duels against other trainers. The combat is resolved in magical mazes where you take control of one of your creatures and fight in first person. Every creature belongs to one of many elements and has strengths and weaknesses against other elements. Its a fun and simple game, with charming world and creature art and great soundtrack (i uploaded few themes on the topic Best Game Music).

Civil War Generals II is one of my favorite turn based strategy games. In the game each unit had several attributes that affect its combat effectiveness like organization, health, morale, experience and quality, each unit could can upgrade its weapons between campaign battles also terrain and direction of attack were important for combat effectiveness. Every unit had limited number of soldiers which could not be replaced during the battle. The best part of the game was the campaigns in which you could change the course of the war like attacking the Washington with Confederation, and loosing a battle didnt mean end of the game but next "what if" scenario where the result of last battle with affect your starting forces, position and reinforcement.

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance, a grand strategy from 1996. Gameplay is split on three phases.

Global strategy where the player chooses one of many countries in the land and a lord. In this part of the game the player build and move armies, builds roads, fortification, guilds, temples, uses diplomacy, trade and cast global spells. This is very detailed and the best part of the game.

Battles are on chess board battlefield but in real time, you can lead your troops on every square and if its occupied by enemy units it will start combat. The battles are quite limiting with no ability to flank or rear attack and battles are dominated by fast units and archers. You can auto resolve any battle but it will always play put in huge favor of computer, do its better to play manually although it can become repetitive.

Adventures are RPG part of the game where you lead your lord and few of his lieutenants to raid ruins, dungeons or enemy castles for gold, spells and items that will help you both on the global map and future adventures. RPG mechanics does the job and altought the location are somewhat confusing its still fun.

I would also recommend Empire of the Fading Sun a great mix 4X strategy games, Panzer General and Dune like universe.

Warwind 1,2 a really good RTS that did unique races thing before Starcraft but with four instead three factions.

Cavewars excellent TBS game with interesting races that play diffrently, nice atmosphere and lost of details.

Academagia a new game similiar to King of the Dragon Pass inspired by Harry Potter world. Huge amount of skills will let you build dozens of different characters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why don't you open 'top games by genre' at MobyGames and go from there?

It's how I find good stuff I haven't played back in '90s ('00s aren't that good when it comes to something creative) 3.5+ rated games are usually worth a try. Just don't trust the rating when it has less than 30 votes though.

Apollion

Scholar
DraQ said:
How obscure, how good, what have you played and what genres?

First of all thank you guys, almost every game mentioned is something I haven't heard of or haven't checked out in detail.

As for how good/obscure, that's subjective, I don't care about general opinion or anything, I'm just looking for personal opinion, personal favorites and such. Any genre, though I prefer RPG & Strategy, I'll try anything.

As to what I've played, I'll just take a pic of my gaming folder....
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96 ... /Games.jpg

I barely ever uninstall games for whatever reason, unless I really don't like them, or complete em half a hundred times, and I feel compelled to try everything. Listing absolutely everything I've ever played would take too long.

Luzur

Good Sir
hmm kinda hard to know what exactly you want.

Strife, Hocus Pocus, Yendorian Tales, Rise of the Triads, Biomenace, Halloween Harry etc

just go with Skyway's tip.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since you like strategy, i too think you would enjoy king of the dragon pass. It's kind silly at times (the setting) but surprisingly coherent and stateful for a game that is mostly a big sequence of randomized choose your own adventures.

If you mean strategy as in tactics, this doesn't apply. Battles are an abstraction upon a abstraction there.

Apollion

Scholar
Luzur said:
hmm kinda hard to know what exactly you want.

Strife, Hocus Pocus, Yendorian Tales, Rise of the Triads, Biomenace, Halloween Harry etc

just go with Skyway's tip.

Yeah sorry, I'm trying not to be too specific, I figure the less specific I am, the more likely I am to get something I've never heard of. That Yendorian Tales looks like it could be interesting.

I've always used gamefaqs and gamerankings to find games, but so far mobigames has proved useful. Still wouldn't mind the odd suggestion, I'm in no hurry.

chzr

Erudite
not that obscure but if you haven't played:
7,62mm
sudden strike 1/2
men of war
europa 1400 - the guild

also, planescape torment.

Mortmal

Arcane
Apollion said:
DraQ said:
As to what I've played, I'll just take a pic of my gaming folder....
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96 ... /Games.jpg

ah a quality gaming folder at least :obviously:

You havent played king of dragon pass, its a must, completely unknown and absolutely awesome. I dont see any gothic games either in your folder altough i see risen wich is the spiritual heir. I see you played ultima 7 using exult, why not p aying ultima 6 , martian dreams and savage empire, check elzair "lets play".Utlima underwolrd 1-2 a must too.Really ton of stuff you a are missing , could write pages and pages about it.

You could check that for obscure titles:
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/

Or ask me for very obscure titles unknown to most codexers like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-PvYQ_C1Q
or why not castle of winds:
http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/

Apollion

Scholar
The first Gothic is one of my favorite games. Also, I have plans to some day play the entire Ultima series from 1-8, I may just end up skipping straight to five or so though.
I have wanted to play the Ultima Underworld games forever, but I can't get my computer to handle them through dosbox. I played a bit of Savage Empire a while back and it seemed awesome, I'll have to look up Martian Dreams.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prince of Qin baby. PoQ is a bit obscure due to being chinese Diablo-clone, but lemme tell you, it's a worthy game in its own right. Its system of weapon crafting is very interesting. Story, character is a bit linear though. But to compensate for that background and setting is distintive.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY THAT RUSSIAN GAME PATHOLIGIC

Fezzik

Cipher
For strategy, I remember my brother really liked Z when he was a kid. Does Hugo's Horrific Adventure count as obscure? Also, I don't see Dark Sun in your games folder. Not obscure, but worth remedying.

oscar

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
King of Dragon Pass. It's awesome. It also doesn't really belong to any genre, it's just that fucking unique.

This. Beautiful. Best game I have ever played without a doubt.

Apollion

Scholar
Fezzik said:
For strategy, I remember my brother really liked Z when he was a kid. Does Hugo's Horrific Adventure count as obscure? Also, I don't see Dark Sun in your games folder. Not obscure, but worth remedying.

My bad, all my old DOS and such games are in my Oldgames and Dosbox folders, and most of my adventure games are in my ScummVM folder. Every Lucas Arts game, Ultimas, Dark Sun, Eye of the Beholder, Might & Magics, and so on and so forth.

Keep 'em coming guys, adding everything to my list. King of Dragon Pass is one I'm definitely going for.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's not very obscure but I notice you haven't got Rise of Nations in your games folder. Might want to check that out.

ElectricOtter

Strife: Awesome FPS with (fairly light) RPG elements.

HeXen: Gothic style FPS made in the DooM engine by ID software. Great visuals and level design.

Forgotten Hope: Okay, so it's technically a mod, but it's still worth checking out. A realism mod for Battlefield 1942 that adds more levels and faction and period accurate weapons and vehicles. It sounds pretty simple, but the added content and variety combined with BF1942's solid core gameplay makes for a excellent formula.

As for obscure rpgs: check out this site has many good ones. Also, nice Spiderweb Software collection. I approve :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Battlezone - fun and atmospheric FPS/RTS about Cold War IN SPACE!! where space looks like space. Still being supported by one of the devs 12 years later. Avoid the sequel.

M.A.X. - if you want to see the best AI ever in a strategy game, from the incline days of Interplay.

Tribes Vengeance - fun Tribes gameplay, now in a form of a singleplayer campaign too. From when Irrational wasn't in decline yet.

Realms of Arkania Star Trail - a pretty unique dungeon crawl with isometric party-level turn-based combat and the need to keep party well fed, in a good health (if f.e. you'll force one guy to rest on a cold ground he may catch a cold and infect other members of the party) and guarded at rest.

Operation Flashpoint - a tactical military sim-like game with hugeass territories and the ability to ride all kinds of vehicles (EA stole the idea for Battlefield from it and dumbed down it) - except it has the great SP campaign where you do all kinds of stuff you don't normally do in your typical FPS. Though ArmA2 so far is the best one from the series gameplay-wise it has a shitty SP campaign (but great in MP)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom