Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure RPGs that are up there with the best

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
bDI8cuV.jpg
Don't be so smug again, retard.
I've worked with both software and a hardware. Could you say that you repaired A500 motherboard?
Amiga usually is just not my cup of tea. I prefer my 286s and 386s.

Fowyr from 2011 said:
I recently tried circumvent bug in the Altered Destiny and run its Amiga version
Fowyr from 2013 said:
Can you use standard 5.25" or 3.5" FDD with Amiga or you need set jumpers/solder new terminator resistors like in old times of tinkering with ZX-Spectrums?

How is your idiotic blog, BTW?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Amiga usually is just not my cup of tea. I prefer my 286s and 386s.

Disgusting lol. Imagine preferring 286es over Amigas...

Fowyr from 2011 said:
I recently tried circumvent bug in the Altered Destiny and run its Amiga version
Fowyr from 2013 said:
Can you use standard 5.25" or 3.5" FDD with Amiga or you need set jumpers/solder new terminator resistors like in old times of tinkering with ZX-Spectrums?

By hardware, I mean the Amiga's custom chipset and how games employ it. This is a gaming forum, in case you forgot. Stop waving your tiny soldering iron around like it means anything.

How is your idiotic blog, BTW?

Going from strength to strength. Thanks for asking.

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
Wizards&Warriors was already mentioned and that my pick, it was reviewed and had publisher but so what - it is forgotten.
Then Inquisitor, inspired somewhat by Divine Divinity, good to play once in a while but lot of section are massive slogs (orc mines says hello). Magic was great, somewhat weird (more than one spell to cure status effect, and you need other spell to power-up your magic to make them work in the first place). Priest with bows is the only valid class.
sublime picks

david w. bradley is underrated as a developer, even dungeon lords (which was a hack and slash game after w&w failed despite being a good blobber) was much more fun than it had any right to be

Dungeons of Naheulbeuk will probably be obscure in short order because it has a dumb name and looks like clash of clans with mobile baby people but it’s quite good

edit: it’s close to being more of a tactical squad based game though

V_K

Arcane
Anybody heard of Magic & Mayhem 2: The Art of Magic?

593662-magic-mayhem-the-art-of-magic-windows-screenshot-small-battle.jpg
How does it compare with 1st Magic & Mayhem, besides being uglier?
From what I remember (and it's been a long time), not very well. It's more linear and handhold-y, and the story and writing are very derpy.

Dungeons of Naheulbeuk will probably be obscure in short order because it has a dumb name and looks like clash of clans with mobile baby people but it’s quite good
It currently has a little under 2k reviews on Steam a little over a month after release. That's more than TToN got in 3 years, for example.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
It's not great at all. It's jank. It's not anywhere near up their with the best of its kind. If it was, it wouldn't be obscure. It was relegated to obscurity because it isn't any good. Troika's Arcanum and ToEE were also bug-ridden beyond belief. Guess what? They have cult status. Admiration grows for them with every year that passes. Modders mod them, and bloggers blog about them 20 years subsequent to their inception. People that haven't even played them pretend they have, so they can gain street cred.

Prelude to Darkness is truly an amazing RPG, but it's kind of like trying to enjoy a beautiful painting with a strobe light on.

It crashed to desktop all the time in the starting town and a few other locations. Arcanum and ToEE were polished to a shine compared to PtD. Initiating combat had a 50% chance of crashing the game. It was almost unplayable, but I finished it anyway. It was just that good. After you get past the first part of the game it crashes less often.

The reason Prelude doesn't have cult status is because there has never been a stable release.

Last edited:

Ryan muller

Educated
Not played many of those but i certainly find the original E.V.O (the theory of evolution) up there with some of my favorites

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Aethra Chronicles seems to be relatively unknown, although I found it to compare favorably with its contemporaries.

Soldak games Depths of Peril/Din's Curse/Drox Operative etc. are also enjoyable yet reasonably obscure.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Is Pathologic (2005) considered obscured despite its remake? Based on review and hours of play, one should deem it among the Best CRPG and obscure for its seem not to be mentioned often.
Best due to simulating roles such as doctor in a pandemic in a town with mysteries and character interaction.

Pathologic.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom