Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Observer - first person cyberpunk horror game starring Rutger Hauer

Beowulf

Arcane

New features in a walking sim and not one of them is a faster walking speed.

TBH I have it on my wishlist.
I've read some complaints about this stealth sections and they apparently changing something in that regard.
Lets see.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
New features in a walking sim and not one of them is a faster walking speed.

TBH I have it on my wishlist.
I've read some complaints about this stealth sections and they apparently changing something in that regard.
Lets see.

At least, you are not limping like in their first and best game Layers Of Fear.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sure thing, but come on, you can't compare the technological gap between EGA and VGA & between 2020 and the old prehistoric stupid 2017.
Advancement in computer technology is much slower nowadays than three decades ago, but they appear nonetheless to be substantially improving the graphics in technical terms while also adding new content and revising certain gameplay mechanics. Perhaps the original game was less graphically ambitious than it could have been. :M

Granted, I'm not convinced the new graphics are an aesthetic improvement, regardless of the technical changes:

ObserverSR_GraphicsComparisonFan.jpg

ObserverSR_GraphicsComparisonWolfman.jpg

ObserverSR_GraphicsComparisonWolfman-head.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
The walking simulator gets a remaster, now with content that could almost pass as gameplay to boot!

Finished it yesterday.

Very short, but good, not great.

Bloober Team really tried hard to create their own SOMA, and Observer is what we got.

The entire searchlight stalker stealth sequence is basically ripped off from SOMA, and SOMA's shambling turd golem is much more effective.

The puzzles are all very simple, off the top of my head, they were mostly plugging in electrical sockets, hacking door codes, hacking computer passwords, and one instance of guessing a combo lock.

Unlike Frictional Games, Observer's world is a lot less interactive, which is another fault, at least for me.

Besides the very talented Rutger Hauer, the rest of the voice acting and dialogue is pretty bad IMO.

Certain areas, overcrowded with pigeons, could have been a lot more subtle and not attempt to knock players out with the obvious Blade Runner reference.

The best parts of the game were very frequent: scanning crime scenes for organic and digital evidence, hearing Rutger Hauer's growing desperation through his excellent voice acting, and hacking into NPC mindchips.

That last part is also simultaneously the least interactive part of the game, and not all the mind hacking sequences were good, some were decent, and others were dull and boring.

Based on my experience with Observer, it's Bloober Team's most well reviewed game, so I'm not interested in Layers of Fear or The Medium, because Observer is about 3.5/5 stars for me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom