Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
What if he got #metoo'd like, tomorrow and it turned out he was basically Chris Avellone but 10x more aggressive, 1000x more racist, and took no to always mean yes. also he didnt do what he did on twitter but instead started posting videos of lists with his accuser's names on them and him loading a gun? Would he be cool then?
Hope not. You fucking lunatic

No. This will never happen. Why? He's a fucking communist.

hmmm

e6bd1e6ebf87ab2ec4113bfc8f134546.jpg

-Quickly, my wife is unto our orgy, let's do something!
- Let's take that old map and those figurines and pretend we do a wargaming.
- Those figurines are not fit for wargaming! She knows the rules!
- Let's pretend it's a new game. We do wargaming with.... roleplaying
- Just like in the last orgy?
- Just like in the last orgy.

This is how DnD begun. And coincidentally it's how the first mage had the first encounter with the first raging barbarian.

Cael

Arcane

-Quickly, my wife is unto our orgy, let's do something!
- Let's take that old map and those figurines and pretend we do a wargaming.
- Those figurines are not fit for wargaming! She knows the rules!
- Let's pretend it's a new game. We do wargaming with.... roleplaying
- Just like in the last orgy?
- Just like in the last orgy.

This is how DnD begun. And coincidentally it's how the first mage had the first encounter with the first raging barbarian.
So, that was how Elminster was conceived...

ferratilis

Magister
Before watching that speedrun video, I had no idea Oscuro worked at Obsidian. He's the guy who made Oscuro Oblivion Overhaul back in the day, the mod that made Oblivion actually worth playing. Wonder if Josh was inspired by that mod when he made JSawyer mod for FNV?

It seems he's also responsible for why the encounters in FNV are the way they are:
Question: Hi Josh. Fallout 3 had random encounters that were drawn from a deck at specific locations while New Vegas had only hand-crafted encounters (and a few reputation encounters that chased you). Was that a deliberate design choice, a scope/schedule trade-off or something else entirely?
Joshua Sawyer: "That’s probably a better question for Jorge “Oscuro” Salgado, one of our senior area designers. When we started working on F:NV, literally no one on the team had any experience with Bethesda’s engine or toolset. We hired Jorge maybe… 4 or 6 months into development. As the nickname might suggest, Jorge was the creator of Oscuro’s Oblivion Overhaul. He handled all of our “random” encounters and I left the high-level implementation to him.

At least some of the design was driven by the development constraints. We just didn’t have that much time to design a lot of random encounters."

Nephilim

Educated
Right now any unannounced AAA game from Obsidian is likely to be The Outer Worlds 2.
I don't get why they are making The Outer Worlds 2. The game was held exclusively hostage for a year, the reception was lukewarm at best and the game itself was disappointing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't get why they are making The Outer Worlds 2. The game was held exclusively hostage for a year, the reception was lukewarm at best and the game itself was disappointing.

It sold millions and they believe an improved sequel will sell more millions. They already laid the groundwork, might as well try.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
A "New Vegas 2" would garner them so much positive press it would be ridiculous.
Right up until the moment people played it.

Also, expect Outer Worlds 2 to bomb just as hard as PoE 2 did. Initial hype gave way to indifference in both cases.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Educated

It sold millions and they believe an improved sequel will sell more millions. They already laid the groundwork, might as well try.
I was actually confused by that statement and I still cannot believe it's true.
I don't see 2+ million people asking for a sequel, this game is rarely talked about. People are rather pining for New Vegas 2, I'd say be careful what you wish for.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Right now any unannounced AAA game from Obsidian is likely to be The Outer Worlds 2.
Don't think they'll be able to pull off the "Screw you Bethesda, you're not reeaally the creaters of Fallout!" marketing push this time around. Even a good bit of the mainstream has accepted that Outer Worlds was a flaccid disappointment with nothing going for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom