Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut

a bit old (2017) but still interesting.

The Talk: In a video game career spanning almost a quarter of a century, Leonard Boyarsky has done just about everything but code. In this talk, he will be discussing his long and varied career. Topics covered will include: how he got into the industry, becoming one of the original creators of the Fallout universe, founding his own company, working on Diablo 3, why he decided to return to making deep Role Playing Games as a Creative Director at Obsidian Entertainment, and some of the technical challenges of bygone days.

27:01
the audience wasn't even familiar with the intro video to Fallout
why even bother showing up to the presentation if you've never played the author's works?

honestly perfectly sums up the people creating games now.

Codex Year of the Donut
snapshot.jpg

67b.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
i think it still relevant to the application bureaucracy of HR, remember you still have to land that job interview, unless you have someone from inside that can vouch for you (that were the social circle is added to the picture) .

So you just recontextualise something else you did as the required experience. This is not rocket science.

Codex Year of the Donut

I hope it's a calling for self reflection.

In my experience not only is this not true, it's the opposite. Most writers tend to produce worse work as they get older and become less engrossed in enjoyable material instead focusing on so-called serious literature and the creation thereof.
Can someone point to a single video game writer that has gotten better with age and experience rather than worse? I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems to largely be the other way around with an early peak and continuously producing worse material. A common theme I have seen is that they consider their earlier, enjoyable material to be immature and childish.
There is definitely an impact upon their output and the general direction of their work caused by interacting with other writers, seemingly instead writing material that is intended to be read by other writers.

Maybe if your intent is to hire people to write for an entertainment medium writers shouldn't be the ones who are interviewing potential writing applicants.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dollarhyde became the narrative lead of Avowed after the previous guy noped out so I wonder if she just got fed up with Feargus's "notes." :lol:

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
This time around, I believe Obsidian will achieve at making a game on the same "quality" as Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom