Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Throne of Bhaal was in a different part of the world, though. :M Not to mention the most celebrated "sequel-pansion" of them all, Mask of the Betrayer.

Was an example of an epilogue expansion, so was Mask of the Betrayer, which was not a sequel because it needed the base game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Throne of Bhaal was a downgraded sequel because they realized it wasn't lucrative to make another full-fledged IE game.

Neither was an "epilogue" because they had nothing to do with the stories from their base campaign.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
a section or speech at the end of a book or play that serves as a comment on or a conclusion to what has happened.

Not "an entirely different adventure that has little to do with preceding events."

Moreover a PoE sequel-expansion couldn't be an epilogue because the main character's story wouldn't end with the x-pack, they want you to import your character into the real sequel.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not "an entirely different adventure that has little to do with preceding events."

Moreover a PoE sequel-expansion couldn't be an epilogue because the main character's story wouldn't end with the x-pack, they want you to import your character into the real sequel.

because they had nothing to do with the stories from their base campaign.

Both were a direct continuation of the main characters story arc from the base game, in the case of Baldurs Gate it was the bhaal spawn struggle, between themselves and the journey to godhood or not, in the case of NWN2 it continues the story of the shard bearer directly after the end of the base game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Both were a direct continuation of the main characters story arc from the base game, in the case of Baldurs Gate it was the bhaal spawn struggle, between themselves and the journey to godhood or not, in the case of NWN2 it continues the story of the shard bearer directly after the end of the base game.

That sounds like a sequel to me. :)

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction is an epilogue, as it wraps up loose ends and ends that particular story. Brood War and the Starcraft 2 x-packs are expansion pack sequels.

Athelas

Arcane
They do continue the story, but they're not epilogues. MoTB might as well have been an original story, with how shoehorned-in the references to the NWN2 OC were ('oh, what a coincidence how you and Akachi both used the same sword'). ToB isn't an epilogue either - BG 2 wasn't about the power struggle of different Bhaalspawn.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They do continue the story, but they're not epilogues. MoTB might as well have been an original story, with how shoehorned-in the references to the NWN2 OC were ('oh, what a coincidence how you and Akachi both used the same sword'). ToB isn't an epilogue either - BG 2 wasn't about the power struggle of different Bhaalspawn.

BG1, BG2, ToB are one giant story arch, it's all about the bhaal spawn and his journey from a young boy/girl cloistered in candlekeep to the discovery of their heritage, the fight with the "brother", to someone trying to steal their godhood, to finally their ascension amongst all their siblings, ToB was the epilogue of all those struggles and characters exemplified in the slides at the end.

MotB finishes the story of the shard-bearer, tho the connections are more flimsy than in in the BG saga, it's assumed the character is the same.

Athelas

Arcane
BG1, BG2, ToB are one giant story arch, it's all about the bhaal spawn and his journey from a young boy/girl cloistered in candlekeep to the discovery of their heritage, the fight with the "brother", to someone trying to steal their godhood, to finally their ascension amongst all their siblings, ToB was the epilogue of all those struggles and characters exemplified in the slides at the end.
'Not an epilogue' doesn't mean 'has no relation to'. Throne of Bhaal was a continuation of the previous BG games, but it's not an epilogue because it adds a new (part of the) story instead of putting closure on one. The specifics of the Bhaalspawn power struggle even contradict Sarevok's and Irenicus' plans on how to reach godhood in the previous games.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Then I used the epilogue term wrongly, what I meant is the conclusion of the characters story, and for me both motb and tob were that conclusion.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree with everything else you've said but Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast at least did not have new main menu art, it did have new launcher and loading screen art though.
I remember ToB added a new main menu/save game screen art but, I didn't know about ToSC (only played BGI with BGT), that's why I didn't specify a game :)

Almost certainly a confluence of things, but his project getting canned seems like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also suspect that MCA would like to see Obsidian taking more/bigger risks than Feargus is willing to allow, but that part is purely speculative.

That's what we want to think.

No, we want to think that MCA and JES swore a blood feud against one another upon their first meeting, nigh these twenty years ago. JES obviously finally executed his long-planned, backhanded coup to oust MCA out into OEI's shovelware division.

:troll:

To be straight though: yes, it is what many of we MCAites wish to believe, but it's also supported by Occam's razor; considering we're basically lacking any primary-sourced evidence, that's all I've got to go on.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So what's Obsidian working on now? I can only see three games that I'm not interested in: Armored Warfare, Pathfinder card game and the second part to the expansion of Pillars. There doesn't seem to be much coming out of the Obsidian stable to keep me enthused. I'd have to say if the next 12-18 will produce these three games, it's going to be quite bleak.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So what's Obsidian working on now? I can only see three games that I'm not interested in: Armored Warfare, Pathfinder card game and the second part to the expansion of Pillars. There doesn't seem to be much coming out of the Obsidian stable to keep me enthused. I'd have to say if the next 12-18 will produce these three games, it's going to be quite bleak.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-of-eternity-battletech-banner-saga-2.103294/

The interesting part of this interview is the second half, where Josh and Adam talk about Obsidian's situation and current plans. According to Adam, the company's next crowdfunded game is currently in initial preparation stages. Interestingly, he refers to it as a Kickstarter project before remembering to bring up Fig as well. Josh, meanwhile, discusses his plans for a Pillars of Eternity sequel, reiterating what he said in the retrospective panel about modding and multiclassing, as well as his earlier promise to place the sequel in a less "traditional Euro fantasy" area of the setting, much like Baldur's Gate 2 did.

Fairfax

Arcane
Looks like PoE2 in late 2017.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom