Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian hired Sam Fisher's little brother

Nael

Arcane
Are you following me? Stop it.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Shame we can't really tell much about the gameplay from these pictures. So far I have: People talk to you and you can hide behind corners with a gun.

Looks nice enough, though, and it does give us an indication as to what Obsidian's art direction is like on this title.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
I don't dislike this title at all. I think Obsidian made a bad choice of exclusive and ended up with one of the worst, most discouraging previews I've ever seen. Ever.

The screenshots look like they're from some kind of splinter cell rip-off. The text could be straight up about Bethesda's next title. Hell, if you took some of that shit and attributed it to Gas Powered's Chris Taylor I would believe you.

That's just the thing here. The only reason any of us didn't write this game of immediately is because it's Obsidian. And that's fine, we have some reason to give Obsidian some credit and leeway. I can forgive them one stupid preview.

But I'm not going to spooge on this game based on a shitty preview just because it's Obsidian.

I was more excited about this title when it was just "a spy-themed RPG". Just that description sounded better than this piece of shit article makes it sound.

Now, as I said, I'm just going to pretend this preview didn't happen and wait for real coverage. If it looks as shitty in following previews as this one made it look, then it's a write-off. I'm not interested in Obsidian's take on BioWare's Mass Effect in another setting. Who gives a shit.
Ah, so you simply hate the article, its tone and are tired of gaming journalism in general. I can see where this is coming from.

crakkie

Arcane
I'll agree with BN. Most big super exclusive previews do a good job making the game sound good, and you need to turn on your bullshit detector to sort through the hype and presentation. This preview failed to make it interesting in the first place.

Instead of trying to push it as the second coming of Deus Ex, they're hyping it as 'just like Mass Effect on Earth'. Why compare it so strongly to a game that was so freshly underwhelming even to the general gaming public? Obsidian's PR is either retarded or this game really is just as unremarkable as it sounds.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lestat said:
Ah, so you simply hate the article, its tone and are tired of gaming journalism in general. I can see where this is coming from.

Yes, but it's not that easy. Because in this article, this game looks like shit, which opens up two options:
1. The game is good but the preview sucks
2. The game is shit

Right now, I have no way of telling which one of those two is true, but why would I (or anyone) jump to Obsidian's defence if all we have to go on is a shitty preview?

Y'know, other than fanboyism.

Deepend pecs-rock said:
Do you really want to know?

Didn't I tell you to shut up already?

Andhaira

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the game must be shit. It is obsidian after all, with their crappy unoptimized engines (even though the engines are fine when they get them!!)

ANyhow, obsidian always follows in biowares shadow, so I wouldn't be surprised if the game was based on mass effect in some way. Maybe they even used a similar engine.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Yes, but it's not that easy. Because in this article, this game looks like shit, which opens up two options:
1. The game is good but the preview sucks
2. The game is shit

Right now, I have no way of telling which one of those two is true, but why would I (or anyone) jump to Obsidian's defence if all we have to go on is a shitty preview?

Their track record. They created one very good game, one decent game and one magnificent expansion. If Alpha Protocol sucks after all, I'll be the first one to admit it.

Disconnected

Scholar
Brother None said:
But it's Obsidian. They can't make a shitty game. They just can't. They're all we've got left...

I'm not sure it's fanboyism, BN :lol:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lestat said:
Their track record. They created one very good game, one decent game and one magnificent expansion. If Alpha Protocol sucks after all, I'll be the first one to admit it.

On the other hand, their track record is also following BioWare and...

(ugh...should I say it...do you really need to be reminded? Really? You do? Ok)

...SLAM DUNK!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Noticed how the pc wears a gun in every screenshot? This promises very refreshing gameplay indeed.

The dialogue system is a huge turnoff for me. It's easily more retarded than the Mass Effect talky wheel could ever hope to be, and with the focus seemingly on spy-powah action, we'll be lucky to get a Deus Ex-like, much less a good RPG.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
On the other hand, their track record is also following BioWare and...
Really? Making sequels that don't have anything to do with the originals, except the engines and some story bits, is following BioWare?

GlobalExplorer said:
Noticed how the pc wears a gun in every screenshot? This promises very refreshing gameplay indeed.
3 out of 5 is not "every".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lestat said:
Really? Making sequels that don't have anything to do with the originals, except the engines and some story bits, is following BioWare?

...You actually think it isn't?

Tell me you're joking. Obsidian is BioWare's kid brother. Sure they give their own twist to it, but they're still in big brother's shadow. Switching from sequels to games obviously inspired by Mass Effect isn't really going to impress anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I like Obsidian, but I've been waiting to come up with something of their own for ages now, assuming BW was holding them back creatively. Now their first real "their own" project explicitly mentioned ME as a primary influence? Wow, I'm impressed. Impressed by the stupid.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Lestat said:

...You actually think it isn't?
I do. Their games feel and play differently.

Tell me you're joking. Obsidian is BioWare's kid brother. Sure they give their own twist to it, but they're still in big brother's shadow. Switching from sequels to games obviously inspired by Mass Effect isn't really going to impress anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I like Obsidian, but I've been waiting to come up with something of their own for ages now, assuming BW was holding them back creatively. Now their first real "their own" project explicitly mentioned ME as a primary influence? Wow, I'm impressed. Impressed by the stupid.
Wow, who do these Troika guys think they are? Ripping off Fallout and making this Arcanum of theirs. Who are they trying to impress?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lestat said:
Wow, who do these Troika guys think they are? Ripping off Fallout and making this Arcanum of theirs. Who are they trying to impress?

Uhm...the Troika guys made Fallout.

Andhaira

Arcane
I don't think obisidan is capable of prducing something by themselves. They don't seem to have the talent tomake a complete, unique game. Imean, they even botch working engines (Odyessey for instance; it was butchered in kotor2)

Second,they made the arurora engine unstable, somehow in NWN2. Stupidty like that takes real talent.

It wont be long until they are out of bzness. It will probably happen after the alien rpg.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Lestat said:

Uhm...the Troika guys made Fallout.
Yeah, it wasn't the best example. Switch Arcanum with Torment, Troika with BIS and Fallout with BG. The combat system and the approach to dialogue are the only things AP and ME seem to have in common. These are purely mechanical things and calling the game a rip-off because of them isn't right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom