Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next big RPG is Avowed, a Skyrim-like set in the Pillars of Eternity universe

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
2012 - "Hey, let's save our studio by bringing back old isometric RPGs that everyone loved so much"

2017 - "Wow, that was successful, let's try again"

2020 - "The genre is more alive then ever, there's a lot of hype around new titles... let's do Skyrim!"

Owlcat is the king of that hill now.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This has never actually been a problem. Just declare a canon.
Developer-decided canons are extremely lame.

I suppose, but so are their efforts to carry C&C across multiple games. This is almost fundamental to the production resource intensive nature of video games. You can't just make stuff up in the intervening week between sessions in order to accommodate the choices of your players like you can in pen and paper, where the DM and players' imagination supplies all of the art assets, graphics, and programming.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't try to realize any C&C across multiple games, but limiting the scale is important.

Generally, that precludes the possibility of any major C&C in the critical path which ALSO carries over into the sequel. Major deviations from the critical path should be included for the sake of role playing (create the New California Republic, or don't) but not for the sake of creating a sequel where a major faction can both exist in one version of the game and not exist in the other.

Otherwise, you would need to make two versions of Fallout 2 and New Vegas where the NCR both exists and doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Robert Erick

Educated
The logical conclusion is that a new, untested studio will work for Obsidian to release classic yet rushed and unfinished rpgs (Due to the publisher, of course.) using their IPs. I'm thinking Iron Tower Studio.

Andhaira

Arcane
Don't wizards in PoE setting need a spellbook in hand to cast a spell?

Why is the main guy in trailer casting without a spellbook? I don't recall warrior-mage being a class in PoE (never played PoE II)

Also didn't Outer World bomb? Everything about it screamed suck!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There is still hope
r63xKLU.jpg

Ulfhednar

Savant
Don't wizards in PoE setting need a spellbook in hand to cast a spell?

Why is the main guy in trailer casting without a spellbook? I don't recall warrior-mage being a class in PoE (never played PoE II)

Purple whispy visuals in PoE were often used to indicate cypher/soul magic and wouldn’t require a grimoire.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's not a dead OS it's a complete OS, hipster.

It's a 10 year old OS and they stopped supporting it in January of this year. It's like expecting games from 2005 to support Windows 95.

I will answer you one last time cause I don't want to waste my precious time to hipster retards like you. I don't give a fuck about security support from MS cause I have my own antivirus, second I don't give a fuck about DX12 cause the only game that uses it right now is Kojima's abomination. I can play anything on my PC with W7. Even CP2077 will support W7. So as I said earlier there's no rush to upgrade yet. I will upgrade when is absolutely necessary, maybe in 2 or 3 years from now. Will see. Alright Hipster?
There is 70+ games that use DX12 lel

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
obsidian is shit. why does this thread even exist?
Because, while everyone likes to shit on Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian, we can't stop dreaming about getting another proper isometric RPG with cohesive art direction, beautiful pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, and memorable hand-painted portraits (possibly with a D&D ruleset, for the love of God). Even if some of us will never admit it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Codexers say yes, all of the (many) involved parties insist no.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-outer-worlds-has-exceeded-publishers-expectati/1100-6471295/

Which wouldn't mean a lot, but there are signs their enthusiasm is genuine, like sequel talk and making DLC when they weren't planning on it originally; when ME:A and DA:I flopped, for example, the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises went on hiatus.

Hellion

Arcane
Hastily googling "Outer Worlds sales" brings up articles that claim it had sold "more than 2.5 million copies" by May 2020. It was anything but a flop.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hastily googling "Outer Worlds sales" brings up articles that claim it had sold "more than 2.5 million copies" by May 2020. It was anything but a flop.
You see, they don't care about the market. To them, 1 million copies sold are worth less than a single positive post about the game on the Codex. They just wanted to impress the Codex, that's all. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom