Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian's Next-gen Title "Already Looking Great", South Park Still on Track for 2013

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Normally I'd agree with you, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.
But they'll always be outbid in that area. In the long run the survival strategy might very well become a losing game...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dunno man, neither Skyrim nor Witcher 2 had action that's actually good, yet they sold just fine.

Well, compared with Alpha Protocol? I'm just saying, if you need to make action-RPGs to survive, learn how to make them properly. Or at least make an effort.

But they'll always be outbid in that area. In the long run this sound survival strategy will just become a losing game, you know...
In the long run hopefully the Eternity IP will take off. In the short run, expect more popamole.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Again, it won't have Arkham City combat for two reasons

1. It was said by Feargus.

2. He only uses it as an example in the first place

You take something like Arkham City. It’s sort of like a fighting game, a third-person fighting game. Five years ago they wouldn’t have made that like Arkham City. You look at what Skyrim does well, what’s really fun about Skyrim. So that’s the kind of thing where… I think there’s this desire to say, “First-person sword fighting isn’t always the best entertainment.” But hey, the fighting in Arkham City is awesome.

and then goes on to saying this

So where do RPGs need to go from that? Do they need to get more like Devil May Cry? Do they need to get more like this or like that? And we’re looking at who plays role-playing games. I’m distinctly a role-playing game player. I play a ton of games, because I’m in the industry. I play Ninja Gaiden. I can respect Ninja Gaiden. But I would not play a ton of Ninja Gaiden. It’s just not my thing. All of their focus is on that system. When you’re making a role-playing game, your system is broader, much broader. That’s what we’re trying to say. What is combat? A lot of the other systems in role-playing games, they all work awesome and people love them. They still need to evolve and move forward a little bit, but what should combat be in that next big role-playing game? That’s one of the things we’re trying to zero in on.

So, seriously. No. It wouldn't simply be Arkham combat and I have no idea how you read that out of this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Duraframe300 Of course it won't literally have Arkham combat, but that paragraph tells you Obsidian is trying to figure out how to make real-time action combat better. Which they need to do.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno man, neither Skyrim nor Witcher 2 had action that's actually good, yet they sold just fine.

Well, compared with Alpha Protocol? I'm just saying, if you need to make action-RPGs to survive, learn how to make them properly. Or at least make an effort.

Well yeah, maybe compared to AP. :lol: It's just that you said one has to be able to design good action RPG combat in order to survive in the AAA world, which I strongly disagree with. But I guess you said that with regard to AP, which is a very low bar indeed.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Duraframe300 Of course it won't literally have Arkham combat, but that paragraph tells you Obsidian is trying to figure out how to make action combat better. Which they need to do.

And he talks against it right after. He says Arkham City's combat is awesome for Arkham City. But he asks and answers the question "Where do RPG's have to go now in this viewpoint" after

Again
So where do RPGs need to go from that? Do they need to get more like Devil May Cry? Do they need to get more like this or like that? And we’re looking at who plays role-playing games. I’m distinctly a role-playing game player. I play a ton of games, because I’m in the industry. I play Ninja Gaiden. I can respect Ninja Gaiden. But I would not play a ton of Ninja Gaiden. It’s just not my thing. All of their focus is on that system. When you’re making a role-playing game, your system is broader, much broader. That’s what we’re trying to say. What is combat? A lot of the other systems in role-playing games, they all work awesome and people love them. They still need to evolve and move forward a little bit, but what should combat be in that next big role-playing game? That’s one of the things we’re trying to zero in on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Duraframe300 Of course it won't literally have Arkham combat, but that paragraph tells you Obsidian is trying to figure out how to make action combat better. Which they need to do.

And he talks against it right after

Again

That's not "talking against it". That's weighing the pros and cons and being nuanced.

Duraframe300

Arcane
That's not "talking against it". That's weighing the pros and cons and being nuanced.

Yes it is. Breaking it done it's the following. (At least as I've read it. Your interpretation may differ)

1. Action games have good combat for action games
2. So do RPG's need to be more like Action games?
3. No, it's not as easy as the systems in a role-playing game are much broader
4. So, what does the combat need to be? We have to find that out.

Again, I bet you whatever Obsidian's working on, it won't (directly) copy other action oriented games and diverse systems will still play a big role in how to play the game (for good or worse)

Also, its Feargus "Aliens was done" "We do feature X in eternity" Urquhart. He tends to get overenthusastic about things, but what he says may not hold true for actual development.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yes it is. Breaking it done it's the following. (At least as I've read it. Your interpretation may differ)

1. Action games have good combat for action games
2. So do RPG's need to be more like Action games?
3. No, it's not as easy as the systems in a role-playing game are much broader
4. So, what does the combat need to be? We have to find that out.

Again, I bet you whatever Obsidian's working on, it won't (directly) copy other action oriented games and diverse systems will still play a big role in how to play the game (for good or worse)

Who said anything about copying them?

Duraframe300 Of course it won't literally have Arkham combat, but that paragraph tells you Obsidian is trying to figure out how to make real-time action combat better. Which they need to do.

But why even mention action games unless you're going to be inspired by them and by what makes them good?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Also, there's a chance this may be a Cryengine game, by the way. (Pure speculation, though based on tweets and job descriptions)

Duraframe300

Arcane
But why even mention action games unless you're going to be inspired by them and by what makes them good?

Because why not? I don't think making these thoughts when it comes to well selling games (Which was around where the interview was headed) and combat is out there or needs to be anything more than spitballing.

For example, what other gerne to take as an example for combat than action games where it is the main focus and a big selling point?

Remember that was a pretty general interview. It may not connect at all to what this project is. Except for "We think about combat in our games", which would be weird not do.

Long story short: Don't try to read too much into this.

Edit: Though, for a moment when the developers of the new Batman game were still unclear, getting really inspired by it would have been very possible. But a combat system like in Arkham (even if it's just *inspired* doesn't really make all that sense for a lot of possible games. Don't rule it out though)

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
highly detailed and realistic assets; highly realistic in-game results; skill in texture projection; hard surface modeling and concern with how functional things are manufactured and assembled; Background in mechanical engineering or industrial design; Model and Texture complex and realistic 3D assets; Examples of complex moveable mechanisms; Examples of machinery modeling and texturing for realism

sounds like modern industrial or futuristic stuff.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Which of the AAA games even had action that's actually good by the way? I don't recall any.

Call of Duty multiplayer says hello!

:troll:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Publishers like to launch new IPs with new consoles. They think it's more viable for some reason (they might actually be right since most gamers are retarded). My guess is new IP.

I would bet a million dollars it's not KoTOR3.

SEGA has basically stopped funding big AAA games, so it's probably not Alpha Protocol.

Which of the AAA games even had action that's actually good by the way? I don't recall any.
All AAA games or AAA RPGs? Mass Effect's action is good for what it is.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mass Effect's action is good for what it is.

No

Well actually they did improve on the action side in ME3, and quite a bit.

It's just that... well, let's say you have a dodecahedron. And well, you kind of design one side of this dodecahendron reaaaal good. But then you kind of forget about the other 11 sides before it's too late and oh shit it's time for release. And you release a dodecahedron with just one side.

That's kind of what Bioware did with ME3.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Are you IronicNeurotic, Duraframe300?

Nope. I really can't prove he's not my alt though, as we live close to each other. I came onto the dex because of him (though, he's more of a dexer in his views than me). Currently, he's stuffed with work and exams, which is probably why he hasn't been on for a while.

I'm C2B on any other forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom