Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian's Next-gen Title "Already Looking Great", South Park Still on Track for 2013

dunno lah

Arcane
Sawyer would probably have a hard time trying to put verisimilitude in a game like Strider.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just figured that Strider would be fucked up eventually. Of course it could be awesome, but that's unlikely. Obsidian was gonna do someones dirty work. give me hope, damnit!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So Obsidian will do a Dark Souls combat system?

:troll:

I'd settle for A Dragon's Dogma/Monster Hunter style of system...A bit half way between totally lite and uber hardcore.

Mass Effect's action is good for what it is.

No

Well actually they did improve on the action side in ME3, and quite a bit.

It's just that... well, let's say you have a dodecahedron. And well, you kind of design one side of this dodecahendron reaaaal good. But then you kind of forget about the other 11 sides before it's too late and oh shit it's time for release. And you release a dodecahedron with just one side.

That's kind of what Bioware did with ME3.

No...just no....Pickardfacepalm.gif

ME3 has shit combat that is the same as ME2..EXACTLY THE SAME. Was shit then, is shit now. Compare to any half decent implementation of 3rd person combat mechanics and it's SHIT of the highest order. It's not only bad compared to AAA rivals of the age but fucking atrocious compared to anything historical as well.

deuxhero

Arcane
Publishers like to launch new IPs with new consoles. They think it's more viable for some reason (they might actually be right since most gamers are retarded)

It's mostly the result of launch draughts mean the stupid early adopters will buy anything that isn't shovelware. The sales for such games are pretty much unaffected by brand recognition, so publishers find it the perfect time to launch a new IP.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ME 2/3 have good cover shooting because they did that thing Sawyer keeps talking about: building the core gameplay first and then adding progression elements.

The downside is that the core gameplay is cover shooting.

deuxhero

Arcane
Honestly, I'm hoping more for "non-tedious combat" than "good combat". Obsidian doesn't really have a chance of doing the second, so the least I can hope for is it will get itself over with quickly (compare Arcanum's fast turn based to KotOR. Comparable levels of trash mobs, but KotOR takes multiple minutes each enemy and Arcanum has one side dead in 5 seconds.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh yeah also
Normally I'd agree with you, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.
They already proved competence in this area with DS3, camera aside. Chapman said that if they had received more time to work on it, gameplay issues would have been the least of his concerns http://www.formspring.me/pedrothedagger/q/332233165202554491 http://www.formspring.me/pedrothedagger/q/334829942070069431

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DS3 had good combat but ever other facet of the game was mediocre at best.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A little bridie +Mtold me Obsidian's secret project is Slamdunk: Takin' it to the Hoop - A NBA CRPG

You heard it here first. :troll:

poetic codex

Augur
^Actually, a sports based RPG title doesn't sound like a half bad idea. There is an easy connection between team positions (forward, guard, center etc) and party roles (mage, fighter, thief etc) so it won't be too much of a stretch. Hm....

AN4RCHID

Arcane
ME 2/3 have good cover shooting because they did that thing Sawyer keeps talking about: building the core gameplay first and then adding progression elements.

The downside is that the core gameplay is cover shooting.
No, the progression elements were carried over from ME1 - those that weren't streamlined away, at least. the cover shooting was just tacked on filler because they had failed to make real core gameplay the first time around. Besides, it's not good even compared to other cover based shooters. Enemies are totally repetitive, levels are boring and linear without any real tactical options, and none of the abilities are significantly unique or helpful. Gears of War is better, not to mention actually good cover shooters like Full Spectrum Warrior. You might as well call walking in Skyrim "core gameplay" :p

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, the progression elements were carried over from ME1 - those that weren't streamlined away, at least.
The elements that were cut weren't contributing to it being a good cover shooter. I'm going by what Norman actually said they did
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-making-of-mass-effect-2/
The changes started with the combat system. Norman’s team turned the RPG systems off completely and spent 81 calendar days tuning how combat would work in Mass Effect 2 using the original Mass Effect as a foundation.
Norman explains, “We decided to build shooter combat first – not in priority, but in order – it needed a lot of improvement and BioWare aren’t experts on shooter combat. By focusing on it first we figured we’d remove a lot of uncertainty about other features. We wanted more satisfying combat and a big part of that is making weapons more accurate and powerful at level one – basically saying ‘let’s take the RPG out of the shooter.’ We look like a shooter so that aspect of our combat should play like a shooter.”

Besides, it's not good even compared to other cover based shooters. Enemies are totally repetitive, levels are boring and linear without any real tactical options, and none of the abilities are significantly unique or helpful.
Not what I've heard. :M

Gears of War is better, not to mention actually good cover shooters like Full Spectrum Warrior. You might as well call walking in Skyrim "core gameplay" :p
As I understand it, in Gears of Wars, your only verbs are "shoot thing" and "throw grenade" whereas ME3 has that and a bunch of other powers. More verbs = better.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I'm going by what Norman actually said they did
I'm going by what was in the game.

Besides, it's not good even compared to other cover based shooters. Enemies are totally repetitive, levels are boring and linear without any real tactical options, and none of the abilities are significantly unique or helpful.
Not what I've heard. :M
Yep, I hear it's the pinnacle of interactive storytelling. :)

Gears of War is better, not to mention actually good cover shooters like Full Spectrum Warrior. You might as well call walking in Skyrim "core gameplay" :p
As I understand it, in Gears of Wars, your only verbs are "shoot thing" and "throw grenade" whereas ME3 has that and a bunch of other powers. More verbs = better.
If you consider shooting energy out of your hand a different verb from shooting bullets out of a gun, yeah. You should check out Bioshock Infinite, it's got omg so many verbs ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going by what was in the game.
You don't seem like a reliable source tbh.

Yep, I hear it's the pinnacle of interactive storytelling. :)
Having seen examples, I would say anyone who says this also isn't reliable. Good thing none of my sources praised the writing.

If you consider shooting energy out of your hand a different verb from shooting bullets out of a gun, yeah. You should check out Bioshock Infinite, it's got omg so many verbs ;)
Oversimplification, backing up what I said above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom