Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Cynic

Arcane
Environment looks incredible

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
~Balance~

Josh said:
Currently, items and spells do not stack with each other. The exception to this are rings, because they are Special and Fancy. Potions do stack with other effects, but consuming a potion terminates ongoing effects from a potion currently in effect.

e: In the character sheet, we will show suppressed effects in italics so you can see what is being stomped by other items/spells.

Josh said:
Awesome. Is this to prevent potion spam/superbuffing?
Potion spam should be less of an issue since you will play an animation to consume one (which can be interrupted, like other actions -- but does not provoke an attack as it does in D&D). It does allow you to have one pre-buff (and I do plan to tune potions to be fairly strong), but if you just keep slamming potions one after another, you're canceling the ones that came before with no real benefit.

Since long-term buffs can only be cast during combat, this sounds like a great incentive to encourage the use of potions. He just keeps fixing the failures of D&D-derived crpgs.

hiver

pe-ruins.jpg

best one yet.

- ah, the rogues are ninja-comando front line troops. they could have told us that right away.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
e: In the character sheet, we will show suppressed effects in italics so you can see what is being stomped by other items/spells.

shit like this makes me believe in the sawyer

at least he is thorough

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's already been explained I think (and yes it's not a bug). The short version: The Engwythans knew how to magically shape stone, and no one knows how they did it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
if there is any kind of Moorcock homage i will have a psychotic episode

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That Arda stuff is so mighty and magic- stuffs that it can even make stones and rocks fly. :)

pe-ruinsrxkl2.png
You see, this picture was taken when the stone was just falling down. They captured that moment when it was in the air. 1 second later it would be on the ground. :D

Hormalakh

Magister
I bet you this latest image is just josh trolling the hell out of the grogs. I find it to be quite hilarious :)

imweasel

What? There's an explanation for obvious oversights on the render like this? :D
Obsidian can fix anything if the narrative supports it, because anything goes in a fantasy world™.
I.e. Arda does "decay", only very slowly. The closer to mother earth (elves are tree huggers or somthin') the slower the decay. That would explain why the keystones fall out leaving half of the arch standing.

Same goes for the floating stone, they can either fix it or make up some more fantasy bullshit.

Hey look! one new tree model.

That's pretty good for a pre-paintover pass ?
They seem to have more models and also improved them too. They were a bit meh, but I am really digging the trees now.

hiver

well, its not exactly half of an arch. More like the lowest fifth or fourth, still standing.
I can give that a pass if the whole is interesting and this is. Nice textures, crisp, sharp, detailed. I like the overall feel it gives as a mysterious fantasy temple ruin.

Witiko

Educated
ITT: Clueless Baldur's Gate AD&D 2e fans are waking up to the fact that they have backed a 4e CRPG, which has mechanics-wise next to nothing in common with their beloved Bhaalspawn saga.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do get a kick out of the people in that thread who think that a game where mages couldn't hold swords had more "class flexibility".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ITT: Clueless Baldur's Gate AD&D 2e fans are waking up to the fact that they have backed a 4e CRPG, which has mechanics-wise next to nothing in common with their beloved Bhaalspawn saga.
It's a 3E/4E hybrid and it looks like Josh is trying to take the best from each while adding his own flair to it.

I do think there are too many base classes personally. I would have had fewer that you would specialize with advancement options (and maybe sub/prestige classes).

Witiko

Educated
mages couldn't hold swords
Fighter / Mage dual / multi-class?

I do think there are too many base classes personally. I would have had fewer that you would specialize with advancement options (and maybe sub/prestige classes).
Not sure if there was any announcement as far as class kits / subclasses / prestige classes are concerned, but we may get the option to multiclass:

Bonus question: Are you considering multiclassing?

Answer: Bonus questions are cheating…but yes, we are considering adding multi-classing to the game. A better way to put this answer is that we are not ruling them out at this time. If they work well with our final system, we will offer them.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mages couldn't hold swords
Fighter / Mage dual / multi-class?

That doesn't count. I'm talking about one class. When you multiclass or dual class, you're no longer that class.

Not sure if there was any announcement as far as class kits / subclasses / prestige classes are concerned, but we may get the option to multiclass:

Bonus question: Are you considering multiclassing?

Answer: Bonus questions are cheating…but yes, we are considering adding multi-classing to the game. A better way to put this answer is that we are not ruling them out at this time. If they work well with our final system, we will offer them.
Source: Reddit Q&A with Tim Cain

That's extremely out of date information. The game will have no multiclassing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom