Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Copper

Savant
I think the models are fine too - I sorta dislike the design of the Aedyr barbarian, something modelled on either a Roman auxilliary/gladiator or a dervish seems lke a better fit for somone coming from there based on lore (culture/tech/climate) than someone who's a walking cliche (I know what they were going for in subverting and justifying the trope, don't agree it worked/is the best solution) but I liked the fighter and shiny paladin, and the barbarian variant we saw.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I wouldn't be too surprised if they do a Jan/Feb 2015 but it's more likely that they'll release this year and just continue support in patches etc, as they're scheduled to run out of money at the end of the year.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I wouldn't be too surprised if they do a Jan/Feb 2015 but it's more likely that they'll release this year and just continue support in patches etc, as they're scheduled to run out of money at the end of the year.

Running out of money is a fluent concept in development. If the game is literally unfinished (which I'm guessing it will be), they'll likely go over budget rather than release it.

This is basically my greatest fear with this game, for obvious reasons.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah but it's not a publisher funded title, it can really only eat into it's own reserves from pre-orders.

Business and state budgets are not household budgets. There are many ways to create liquidity. That's basically the fundamental reason for 70%+ of businesses turning the key - they spend more than they have for too long.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sure, I'm just not sure Feargus / Josh would be willing to do what Double Fine did and pump revenue in from other products etc into a title. I'm pretty sure they're keeping a percentage of the budget for emergency, and they've definitely got a stack of extra money from pre-orders, and probably quite a few K more since the video went up. I'd guess they'd have enough to probably go into early next year at the latest, but not June.

Rake

Arcane
If they are left with no other choice, they would go EA, story spoilers be damned

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

This 3D presentation of classes/characters is more visually appealing in my opinion although the models have roughly the same number of polygons.

So its not just about the number of polygons, its about the lighting and ambiance.

Sensuki

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the Path of Exile models have more detail than the PE ones, at least on the clothing anyway. But you're right it's a great screen.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
In the inventory UI, I see a slot in the lower left with the outline of a dog in it.
Any idea what goes there?

Pillars.png

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
They probably shouldn't have demoed the game with a barbarian dressed in what looks like pink rags.

The UI looks great (assuming that bottom bar gets filled in).

Darkion

Augur
They probably shouldn't have demoed the game with a barbarian dressed in what looks like pink rags.

Pink rags with a lime green secondary color. Someone mentioned that Sawyer is colorblind, so that might explain it. Or not.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If I had a hat, I would be willing to eat it if PoE comes out this year.
:hmmm: What gives you the impression it won't be finished by December? While unfinished, it looks like a more complete product than Wasteland 2 or D:OS did during their beta releases.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact that it's an Obsidian game.
This has been better-managed than their other games. Noticeably better managed than the aforementioned Wasteland 2, D:OS, and also Dead Man's Switch.

Are Obsidian really known for long dev times? Outside of development hell situations like SP I mean? I was under the impression that it was the opposite. (With those rushed out titles earning them a reputation for buggy games.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom