Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Anthony Davis, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Yeah, I meant after that. Carry on.

^ Top  
  2. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I'm far less concerned with attack animations and more concerned with hit reactions though, as in Bethesda games, those are far less frequent in this thing by design. I think my first character will end up being an extraordinarily perceptive person, probably godlike.

^ Top  
  3. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    That's fine but the question I asked you specifically was can you give me an example of a non-floaty attack animation. It's easy to say all attack animations are floaty and just not give an answer.

Even easier - name an RPG that has weapon attack animations that you like, or name the RPG you think does them the best. That's all I asked really.

edit: I do agree that hit reactions are very important to give combat a visceral feeling. A Priest who goes for Interrupts is something I want to try as well, as that's the class that's the least likely to benefit from it.

^ Top  
  4. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I enjoyed the attack animations in ToEE (especially for crits) but that was turn based, and wouldn't work for rtwp.

^ Top  
  5. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I liked them too, and in the way that the animations have been designed for PE they wouldn't work, but I think if they split the animation into some discrete parts they could get something similar I think. They'd be a bit slow though.

^ Top  
  6. Rake Arcane

Rake
    Not exactly an RPG, but i always liked Warcraft 3 attack animations. (and animations in general and spell effects) They didn't feel floaty and had a nice weight to them. I would be more than happy if PoE moved in that direction.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Yeah I said the same thing earlier in the thread. Heroes like the Tauren Chieftain, Death Knight, Paladin all had pretty weighty hits.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Copper Savant

Copper
    I think the models are fine too - I sorta dislike the design of the Aedyr barbarian, something modelled on either a Roman auxilliary/gladiator or a dervish seems lke a better fit for somone coming from there based on lore (culture/tech/climate) than someone who's a walking cliche (I know what they were going for in subverting and justifying the trope, don't agree it worked/is the best solution) but I liked the fighter and shiny paladin, and the barbarian variant we saw.

^ Top  
  9. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    ^ Top  
  10. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    ^ Top  
  11. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    I wouldn't be too surprised if they do a Jan/Feb 2015 but it's more likely that they'll release this year and just continue support in patches etc, as they're scheduled to run out of money at the end of the year.

^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Running out of money is a fluent concept in development. If the game is literally unfinished (which I'm guessing it will be), they'll likely go over budget rather than release it.

This is basically my greatest fear with this game, for obvious reasons.

^ Top  
  13. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Yeah but it's not a publisher funded title, it can really only eat into it's own reserves from pre-orders.

^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Business and state budgets are not household budgets. There are many ways to create liquidity. That's basically the fundamental reason for 70%+ of businesses turning the key - they spend more than they have for too long.

^ Top  
  15. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Sure, I'm just not sure Feargus / Josh would be willing to do what Double Fine did and pump revenue in from other products etc into a title. I'm pretty sure they're keeping a percentage of the budget for emergency, and they've definitely got a stack of extra money from pre-orders, and probably quite a few K more since the video went up. I'd guess they'd have enough to probably go into early next year at the latest, but not June.

^ Top  
  16. Rake Arcane

Rake
    If they are left with no other choice, they would go EA, story spoilers be damned

^ Top  
  17. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Yep. Forgot about that

:troll:

^ Top  
  18. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

This 3D presentation of classes/characters is more visually appealing in my opinion although the models have roughly the same number of polygons.

So its not just about the number of polygons, its about the lighting and ambiance.

^ Top  
  19. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    I'm pretty sure the Path of Exile models have more detail than the PE ones, at least on the clothing anyway. But you're right it's a great screen.

^ Top  
  20. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    In the inventory UI, I see a slot in the lower left with the outline of a dog in it.
    Any idea what goes there?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Might be the Kickstarter Pet ?

Anyone know what the Chalice icon does?

^ Top  
  22. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Something to do with crafting or the fortress maybe?

^ Top  
  23. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    They probably shouldn't have demoed the game with a barbarian dressed in what looks like pink rags.

The UI looks great (assuming that bottom bar gets filled in).

^ Top  
  24. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    It might be "melting" items down? It's not Stronghold, that's on the main UI.

^ Top  
  25. Darkion Augur

Darkion
    Pink rags with a lime green secondary color. Someone mentioned that Sawyer is colorblind, so that might explain it. Or not.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.