Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are Obsidian really known for long dev times? Outside of development hell situations like SP I mean? I was under the impression that it was the opposite. (With those rushed out titles earning them a reputation for buggy games.)
Alpha Protocol was bad but that's because they didn't have a plan or a lead designer, had to start over in 2008, and weren't given any additional money to work on it during the last seven-month delay.

Jezal_k23

I thought DS3 was remarkably stable, bug wise. From what I know it was only delayed once, for less than a month.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
They probably shouldn't have demoed the game with a barbarian dressed in what looks like pink rags.

Pink rags with a lime green secondary color. Someone mentioned that Sawyer is colorblind, so that might explain it. Or not.

(The guy with Josh) Brandon(?) played the demos, i think. He picked neon colors in every interview/demo session.

Darkion

Augur
They probably shouldn't have demoed the game with a barbarian dressed in what looks like pink rags.

Pink rags with a lime green secondary color. Someone mentioned that Sawyer is colorblind, so that might explain it. Or not.

(The guy with Josh) Brandon(?) played the demos, i think. He picked neon colors in every interview/demo session.

Hmm, could be. I was going by the fact that they named the character Josh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the reason I think the Codex basically has battered wife syndrome re: Obsidian.

THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT! THIS TIME THEY WILL REALLY CHANGE!

Please tell me your opinion of Troika Games. Also, of Fallout 2.

In other words: Change? You're implying that there's something to change back to.

This is the reason I think the Codex basically has battered wife syndrome re: Obsidian.

Please tell me your opinion of Troika Games. Also, of Fallout 2.

In other words: Change? You're implying that there's something to change back to.
Arcanum sucks. VTM:B was almost good, but enjoyable. ToEE is not good. FO2 is okay, but flawed.

I don't see how that's relevant though. Obsidian is not Troika. Obsidian has also never released a game that is even in the same conversation quality-wise as FO2 or VTM:B. Obsidian has made shit game after shit game, but because during PR they say "WE'RE OLD SKOOL GUYS" you stupid faggots suck their dicks, even when they release a fucking shitty FPS, a third person sticky cover shooter, a JRPG about a fucking tv show, or a shitty hack-n-slash. And this game is more of the same. WE LOVE OLD SKOOL RPGS! So we're going to make a game with RT combat.

:retarded:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I would guess they'll be done around December/January but I worry about the game being sandwiched between Witcher 3 and DA3. Different target audiences I know but I think there's enough overlap that it could affect their performance - even from the fact that there would be decreased media attention and it wouldn't be on top of the Steam list. I think ideally they would get it out a month ahead of DA3 and take advantage of some suckers who are impatient for that game. I want this game to succeed as much as possible, even if it means hoping for part of the DA audience to buy the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@FSM It's relevant because you replied to a post about their games being buggy.

Anyway, at least you have Wasteland 2 to look forward to. :troll:

@FSM It's relevant because you replied to a post about their games being buggy.

Anyway, at least you have Darkest Dungeon/Underrail to look forward to. :troll:
Fixed. The sad thing is this really is the :incline: period of RPGs, but you stupid faggots are too stupid to see the real incline, and are falling for stupid marketing buzzwords with games that are completely missing the mark.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Did obsidian ever have a trouble free release? I mean an on time, on budget, relatively bug free, game release.

Because while they've foisted dross like NWN2:OC, DS3, and Alpha Protocol onto us, they've also made Knights of the Old Republic II, Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout New Vegas and South Park which were all enjoyable games (despite their flaws). All of this in a wasteland of RPG publishing that keeps trying to give us an awesome button or hiking sims. I have no idea if Pillars of Eternity is going to be a hit or a flop, but it was worth backing the kickstarter for me just to see if it really was just publisher dickery they complained about through the years, or if it boils down to their poor project design/management skills.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I want fucking paperdoll.
Obsidian is aiming for a teen-rated game. Including nudity would disqualify it.
:troll:
Joking aside, on the subject of the 2D vs 3D, the 3D model has a distinctive advantage since the use of textures allows quick swapping of armor.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My post was not about the general quality of their games but a response to the discussion about release dates. Obsidian, like many other devs, has a lot of trouble keeping an eye on the release date and the Q&A. They have yet to release a game within the goals they themselves establish and with the level of polish that is acceptable. The exception being, possibly, Dungeon Siege 3, but thats probably their most simple and risk free (as in by the numbers clone) game to day.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Running a guess the release date comp over at the OE forums: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66536-guess-the-release-date/

If I had a hat, I would be willing to eat it if PoE comes out this year.
Oh, but you do :smug:
11384.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MOTB did it's best, but it still sucks.

Basically, the incline is happening, and you stupid fucks are still hanging on to those who rose to prominence during the decline. Rome has fallen but you're still pretending these shitty developers can create anything worthwhile. Jesus, this game is literally the worst fucking high profile kickstarter of the RPG variety. It's the opposite of old-school - it's business as usual. The press for this game can be completely switched with DA:Origins and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You all are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
DA:O was old school compared to the Bio games made before and after it. Tactical combat and a larger party size. DA:O would be even more old school if it was being released today.

Anyways, I don't get the complaint. DA:O with better systems and better writing sounds peachy to me. I don't care if it's "auld skuul" or not.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
All of the BIS/Obsidian games that have built off a BioWare base have been better in some ways and worse in others. I think part of the reason why a lot of those older games were worse in some ways is part of a time-frame that Obsidian has grown out of (bugginess, poor project management, publisher crippling, designer oversights etc).

Athelas

Arcane
ITT: 'what is old-school?' is the new 'what is an RPG?'

FSM might be trying too hard (especially when he is saying that Arcanum is a bad game ffs) but he has a point. Obsidian was always aping Bioware, with the exception of New Vegas, and they weren't very good at it.
Storm of Zehir. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom