Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Anthony Davis, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Abelian Somebody's Alt

Abelian
    Obsidian is aiming for a teen-rated game. Including nudity would disqualify it.
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

Joking aside, on the subject of the 2D vs 3D, the 3D model has a distinctive advantage since the use of textures allows quick swapping of armor.

^ Top  
  2. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    BG1 looks amazing at 640x480 on a 22" CRT ^_^

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    My post was not about the general quality of their games but a response to the discussion about release dates. Obsidian, like many other devs, has a lot of trouble keeping an eye on the release date and the Q&A. They have yet to release a game within the goals they themselves establish and with the level of polish that is acceptable. The exception being, possibly, Dungeon Siege 3, but thats probably their most simple and risk free (as in by the numbers clone) game to day.

^ Top  
  4. Abelian Somebody's Alt

Abelian
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    DA:O was old school compared to the Bio games made before and after it. Tactical combat and a larger party size. DA:O would be even more old school if it was being released today.

Anyways, I don't get the complaint. DA:O with better systems and better writing sounds peachy to me. I don't care if it's "auld skuul" or not.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  6. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    All of the BIS/Obsidian games that have built off a BioWare base have been better in some ways and worse in others. I think part of the reason why a lot of those older games were worse in some ways is part of a time-frame that Obsidian has grown out of (bugginess, poor project management, publisher crippling, designer oversights etc).

^ Top  
  7. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    ITT: 'what is old-school?' is the new 'what is an RPG?'

Storm of Zehir. :M

^ Top  
  8. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Old school in some aspects, but new school in having DPS skills based on short cooldowns for each character a la MMOs.

Seems like PoE isn't going that route. Engagement and modal abilities (stances, I guess) seem to be possible improvements on the typical RTWP model. I'm still on a wait and see mindset, not at all hyped or disparaging about the game at the moment. More just... curious.

^ Top  
  9. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    That's an easy one:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    [​IMG]
    :M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Nah, Pong was the start of the decline

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    Why the fuck did Obsidian show PoE to IGN while there are hundreds of backers waiting for the beta release?

They paid the game's development FFS.

Am I missing something or Obsidian is full of retardness?

^ Top  
  13. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    If someone photoshops the hat away/the guy eating the hat, I swar I will switch avatar if PoE comes out before Jan 01 ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Because they're smart for two reasons.

Number one: Obsidian did not have to produce the Gameplay video in-house. Doing so would have taken Josh, Adam, one of the sound guys and probably some producers down for X amount of development time. They've demonstrated time and again that no one there knows how to do a properly encoded/transcoded video for internet playback too, lol. Josh and Brandon did a media tour and got several versions of a video done all in one stroke without taking any of the key development areas down.

Number two: Putting the Gameplay video on media sites gives MASSIVE exposure to the game, it also gives the press incentive to be good to them. Sure, fuckheads like Gamespot try and be cool but the rest have been good about it. Doing it this way will get fuck loads more attention and have a far wider reach than doing an internal Kickstarter video post.

The only issue there is that the video will probably not be seen by some backers (at least until the next update).

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Yo' I'll do a BG1 play through or something as a test run for my PE play through. If I get time I might start it tomorrow.

^ Top  
  17. Cazzeris Formerly Andross

Cazzeris
    :hmmm:

OK, then.

So, after all; Obsidian learned a couple of things about marketing during these poor years.

^ Top  
  18. Abelian Somebody's Alt

Abelian
    Agree. From a business decision, the backers have already given their money, so producing a backer-exclusive showcase would be a waste of resources. The gaming press, on the other hand, can write positive reviews that will persuade potential buyers. Many movies suffered a lukewarm or negative reception because they didn't offer previews to the press and "snubbed" them.

^ Top  
  19. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "Old school in some aspects, but new school in having DPS skills based on short cooldowns for each character a la MMOs.

Seems like PoE isn't going that route."

That's funny that you make that claim when PE does have cooldown as does the recent so called (it's not) 'old skool' game DOS. LMAO

^ Top  
  20. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Finished last year. Finalizing my install for a BG2 run atm.

^ Top  
  21. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    I'll bet it is. Loading four images of an area in 15000x8000 or whatever will use up ur RAM dats 4sh0.

^ Top  
  22. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Pillars of Eternity may end up becoming the only RPG in existence to meet my standards of writing, role-playing, reactivity, combat, customization, and art. Underrail and Darkest Dungeon certainly won't.

While lower-risk and by-the-numbers in many elements, DS3 wasn't a clone of anything. It was heavily inspired by multiple titles, sure.

^ Top  
  23. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Well... I mean, you're a confirmed faggot, so your standards mean shit.

^ Top  
  24. ZagorTeNej Arcane

ZagorTeNej
    Even if it achieves that, POE will still never reach the heights of Super Mario and Donkey Kong.

^ Top  
  25. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    My standards are higher than yours overall. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.