Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only normal weapons did broke in BG, so it wasn't really important because you could find enchanted swords, daggers etc. relatively soon.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
In my limited experience the weapon degradation is just a gimmick. It does not really add anything to the game other than frantic search for more weapons. It shines relatively well in games like Betrayal at Krondor where you can loot all the weapons carried by enemies.

But then Krondor does not ave stupid +1 swords.

PE is clearly high fantasy, so probably it will have too many magical items. Considering that the people involved in PE made NWN2 + expansions, we can safely extrapolate that they have no idea about resource management in games *Except Cain that is. There such a mechanic (of weapon degradation) will only be a hindrance which ought to be best left out

Kz3r0

Arcane
On the subject of item degradation, as much as I love Timmie, I couldn't help bu think about Arcanum before the official patch, brrr.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
f0e9o4q.png

:?

Remove item durability, give crafting a different bonus or benefit (such as a bonus from other party members having crafting, or synergy with other skills etc)

Put unique items in dungeons AND shops as per BG2 (I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about the "Adventurer's Mart" or the Collector's Edition shop but I may be wrong).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Did Sawyer had any fun playing any RPG?
So, what they want to do, differentiate crafting in different subsets, like craft sword, craft axe etc.?
In that case crafting will become a job system, so why not use something like that from the beginning?

herp said:
if we put unique gear in stores, people complain that they don't want to buy gear in stores

What?

Put unique items in dungeons AND shops as per BG2 (I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about the "Adventurer's Mart" or the Collector's Edition shop but I may be wrong).

But what would even be the basis of these complaints?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Feedback from IWD/IWD2 I think, but that might be one for a formspring question

That said, having Crafting not as a skill doesn't sound like a bad idea.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think durability could be fixed and still use the crafting skill. The problem right now is that it's a banal shit boring mechanic. The numbers go down at a linear rate, and when they're low enough you spend money to raise them. If you have crafting the numbers go down slower. Yawn.

Literally your only input into the system is crafting skill and how often you use the gear.

Here's some quick ideas to improve on it:
Durability goes down in bigger chunks, and each use is a random chance that it will go down. For example, a sword has 100 durability, in the current system it's damaged after 100 swings with 0 crafting and that's it. Instead have it go down by 20 durability, but only a 5% change of that happening with each swing. On average it will be come damaged at the same time, but thanks to random numbers you could have it actually be interesting where durability decreases quickly in a short time and you have to decided to risk using it or switch out for a less desirable weapon. Crafting skill decreases the random chance, but not the amount you lose to each failed roll.

Different attacks cause different durability losses. Both on offense and defense. Crafting is a durability threshold so high crafting characters will generally lose no durability. Eh this one isn't that good now that I think about it.

Also, Sawyer wants to have a reason for all characters to take crafting, but magic users and monks still have almost no need for the skill, since they don't depend on weapons and armor. So it's still a dump skill for them.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64048-update-58-crafting-with-tim-cain/?p=1347380

I'd like a sincere answer to this question, though I know not all of you are of the same mind: what do you want to spend (in-game) money on?

I worked on IWD, HoW, TotL, and IWD2. In virtually all of these games, I heard these two complaints over and over and over:

When unique items were in stores:
* I don't want to buy unique items in stores.

When unique items were in dungeons:
* I have nothing to spend my money on.

In all of these games, items you found on adventures were almost always one of the following: a) directly usable (i.e. gear or consumables) b) wealth items or c) quest items. If something wasn't usable, it was usually a wealth item (gold, gem, etc.). A wealth item only existed to give you gold, but for gold to have some sort of value, there needs to be something you want that costs x gold. If high-value items aren't what you spend your gold on, what do you spend your gold on? In PE, you may spend gold on your stronghold, but there's no guarantee of that. And according to a lot of you, no one uses consumables, so if consumables aren't used, they're just wealth items -- not something you would want to spend gold on.

Part of the reason for having a crafting system was to make consumables less common in the world. Only people who want to make/use them would see a relatively large quantity of them. Since crafting ingredients are stored and sorted separately from other items, their presence subtracts nothing from the carrying capabilities of players who ignore the system entirely.

There are recurring trends I'm seeing:

* Don't like crafting.
* Don't like durability.
* Don't like consumables.

Combining those with with the two points at the top, it's hard for me to figure out where the gold is going to go. There is also the possibility that players don't actually want a long-term gold economy in a SP game, that gold in the mid- and late-game is ultimately something to accumulate and that most/all forms of gear upgrading simply happens through quests and exploration. That's not an invalid way to go, but I'd like to hear thoughts on it if you have the time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe there wouldn't be such a wealth accumulation issue if he didn't give people an infinite inventory to loot everything and dump on a merchant later.

4too

Arcane
Oh, Ye Of Little Faith

PE: Do the vox populi want a 'click-click you're dead' Diablo clone, or a little less spread sheet please? :lol:

PE: Some not ready for a life time commitment?

The fee for ...

"Always Faithful".

4too

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I have a feeling this was a bit unexpected for them

They should have expected it. Like I said, the people who oppose durability are the same people who oppose time limits, for basically the same reasons. And Obsidian knows quite well how vocal the time limit haters are.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Maybe there wouldn't be such a wealth accumulation issue if he didn't give people an infinite inventory to loot everything and dump on a merchant later.

Not that I'm a fan of the stash, but I've never player an IE-game where I had to leave behind loot or ran out of money.

Yeah I have a feeling this was a bit unexpected for them

They should have expected it. Like I said, the people who oppose durability are the same people who oppose time limits, for basically the same reasons. And Obsidian knows quite well how vocal the time limit haters are.

:roll:

So the reason you didn't reply to my argument against the above is that you didn't want to stop posting it?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Not that I'm a fan of the stash, but I've never player an IE-game where I had to leave behind loot or ran out of money.
Inventory in IE games is rather broken too, though not as badly. Main problem with IE games economically is over-abundance of magic items and merchants who gladly buy all the shit you have (although it makes sense in BG with the iron shortage and all)

Problems that PE will likely have too.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the reason you didn't reply to my argument against the above is that you didn't want to stop posting it?

What argument? I don't care why YOU or Sensuki think durability is bad. I'm telling you that the hordes of idiots who hate time limits ALSO hate durability. And there are lots of them!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's a difference between annoying mechanics and hardcore mechanics, though I realize the difference eludes most of the Codex for much of the time. Spirit Eating could be avoided entirely by taking the good route (in which case management was easy), and it was a central mechanic of the game on the evil route. It had strong impact on the game and its management had many consequences that were entirely integral to how the game played.

Conversely, durability is just an insignificant fix for another problems. It adds all the annoyance of the spirit meter without any of the advantages.

Time limits =/= durability. In any way.

One aims to enforce urgency and is a mechanic to create. Durability is insignificant and is used to fix other problems that should have better solutions than random annoyances to the play.

Inventory in IE games is rather broken too, though not as badly. Main problem with IE games economically is over-abundance of magic items and merchants who gladly buy all the shit you have (although it makes sense in BG with the iron shortage and all)

Problems that PE will likely have too.

I don't think those are big problems when they exist alongside a money sink which is sufficiently important.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe Josh have been possessed by Gaider and Laidlaw and now he is fighting their malignant influences they whisper into his ears?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Other than 'money sink' existing solely to fix a broken economy...

That depends. I don't actually think there's anything wrong with you feeling like the richest motherfucking on the planet at the end of the game. By then you've earned it. There weren't tons of overpowered shit to buy for that cash anyway, most of the best stuff was found.

Introducing a money sink to have something to spend all that on is just a natural evolution of that for me.

I really think people tend to blow these "problems" way out of proportion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom