Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:lol: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ctions-companions-regions-and-other-features/

I only plan on playing through the game once as one race and class combination, so I want you, Obsidian, to focus all your time and money on making that race/class combination the best gaming experience you possibly can. Please remove all other classes and races, since I don't plan to use them.

I don't care which you include. Maybe you should have a poll and only include the most popular race and class.

Also, I don't like doing sidequests, so none of those, please, and no extra regions. I find a world-map that's too large to be confusing. Please make the main quest the best you absolutely can. Maybe you can release sidequests for those who want them as DLC later.

There should be exactly 5 characters that will (not may) join your party. I want every moment of gameplay specifically crafted for my exact party, with each character chiming in with the perfect dialog at exactly the right time. Obviously, once you start multiplying party makeups, there's no way you can make so many different cohesive narratives on such a small budget.

Please, please, please no multiplayer. I'll never use it. I would prefer that you focus on making the game the best that it can be when experienced by exactly one person. You basically have to make the whole game over again for each additional player you allow.

I don't know what other features you're planning to add, but I would really prefer that you focus on crafting the best versions of the features I am going to use and leave the others out.

Oh, I almost forgot. I am a male that is almost overflowing with testosterone and manliness. If I am not looking at a humanoid female's sexy body I have to immediately leave the computer and go do adult-things with my girlfriend. I will not be able to spend the 15 hours I expect the main quest to take looking at a tiny digital man-butt. For this reason I expect to play as a female. Please remove all other sexes.

Her name will be Alwethia. Now you won't have to waste your tiny budget programming a field to enter the PC's name.

Thanks.
:4/5:

Grimlorn

Arcane
obvious troll. Would have been better if he complained about too many choices being hard for him.
He was probably making a point about how shit the forums are and everyone asking for stuff in Eternity though.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
z2DqY.png

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn my colour blindness. It seems that PE is performing as well as Double Fine, if I got it right.

kaizoku

Arcane
He wasn't trolling.

He was simply satirizing some of the threads/comments going there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So? BG series had level scaling also. Level scaling in itself is not the problem, but the means by which you achieve it can be. If you go full Bethesda and level scale your entire game in a retarded fashion to boot then it is rage worthy. If you have low and high level zones, that might scale to the player level in some way but can have their own minimal level (which is what Faergus seems to be saying there) it can be alright, especially if you choose a level scaling method that is not completely demented.
Dragon Age Origins had the same thing, people still complained about it. To me this is just further proof it's a low-budget. DA. :M

Also I was trolling all the "level scaling is always bad!" types.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you can automatically collect up all the gold pieces and then you can choose to pick up the nicer stuff like swords which SHOULD display DPS since the MMO style item properties IS a evolution in gameplay.
Ok. Kill it with fire.

:rage:
DISPLAYING DPS IS NOT AN EVOLUTION IN GAMEPLAY YOU MORON! IT ENTRENCHES BACKWARDS AND OUTDATED NOTION OF HP EVEN FUCKING DEEPER MAKING IT NOT AS MUCH EVOLUTION AS MT EVEREST SIZED SPEED BUMP THAT THIS EVOLUTION WILL HAVE TO OVERCOME TO PROGRESS. IF I PICK UP A SWORD IRL IT DOESN'T HAVE DPS STAT, IT'S A SHARP ITEM YOU CAN PUT THROUGH SOMEONE'S BODY DAMAGING IT IN VARIOUS PAINFUL AND INTERESTING WAYS.
:rage:
:bro:
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/166425411759137825

You mad? This is obviously going to be a HP game.

So by that diagram it could end around 3 million something like Double Fine? I was hoping they could get to 5 mil at least. :( I don't think it will be epic as they present it to be (like baldur's gate) with such a small budget. But then again. W2 got only 3 million and I expect wonders... :D

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
fuck these kickstarters ill buy it if it ever gets released and isn't a fucking piece of shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Creepy Bastard Josh's reply to that question from 2011 says nothing about what he intends to do for this game, which is certainly not a game for the "vast majority of players".

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
So by that diagram it could end around 3 million something like Double Fine? I was hoping they could get to 5 mil at least. :( I don't think it will be epic as they present it to be (like baldur's gate) with such a small budget. But then again. W2 got only 3 million and I expect wonders... :D

No, it can potentially go higher due to more awarness of kickstarter (meaning a big chance of having a higher last day bump), as well as the frequent update strategy of Obsidian. (Depending on said updates and further stretch goals.)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Right now the game has ~45k backers. The main question is, how many more RPG fans will turn out to support this? Wasteland 2 got 61k.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer has no problem with basic HP mechanics himself.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...d=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post406956440
BTW I did some x-treeeme experimentation with adjusting HP and damage values in JSawyer to get to the realm of single headshot with most weapons (short of modest caliber handguns) = death. It is a very different experience but it also ruins a lot of gameplay elements and doesn't feel like Fallout at all.

Outdoors, if you get the drop on anyone (or if they get the drop on you) with a decent ranged weapon, you're effectively dead in seconds. Any reasonably accurate automatic weapon is a field-leveling scythe of destruction. Melee and unarmed are suicidal, even indoors, unless you catch the target by surprise. In groups it is hopeless. Explosives end all fights almost instantly.

A lot of this is arguably realistic but it kind of stinks in a Fallout RPG, IMO.
I have full confidence that Dullsville will use basic HP mechanics. Like all the IE games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think Paypal will have a significant effect. How much? Hopefully to get it ti the 2.2 mil, by the end of the drive.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Good for you!

But that question asked about bloated HP systems, not just any HP system.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Hopefully 3 million goes a long way since there won't be publishers, marketers and I'm sure a shitload of other people who get paid that aren't necessary to the development of a game. Plus it seems they have a general idea of what they want to create, so it may not be from scratch.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
They also need to do more to get people to upgrade to the $50 digital tier, which has very few takers currently.

There's still time, but I hope they have a plan for doing that. It seems to have worked well for Brian but Wasteland 2's tiers were cheaper across the board.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
That one guy in youtube has second excitement song about Project Eternity

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
They also need to do more to get people to upgrade to the $50 digital tier, which has very few takers currently.

feargus mentioned something about giving out beta invites as a possible addon for 25-40 bucks. dunno if this helps or does more damage - seems like there are many people in the 140$ tier just for the beta. eventually they will cancel their pledge and buy 25 + beta addon... the worst thing is that the majority only wants a cheap game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
From Kickstarter comments:

Offering a DRM-free version implies that there will be versions with DRM, which means you will be spending some of our backing money on DRM. I am seriously considering removing my backing over this. I may be a minority, and it may not affect Obsidian's bottom line, but for a Kickstarter project, DRM should not even be a consideration.

:avatard:

Nigro

Educated
What's the big deal with DRM, if it helps them make money, I'm all for it...

Grimlorn

Arcane
What's the big deal with DRM, if it helps them make money, I'm all for it...
There isn't really any DRM. It's just Steam, if you want to call it DRM. It's not like they are putting SecuRom or whatever on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom