Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

wishbonetail

Learned
1 Always play thieves. No roleplaying. Just thieves.
2 Stopped caring about being a good guy, pleasing everyone and happy endings long ago. Live's hard. Everyone dies eventually. Live with it.
3 If it's not Fallout always play with custom soundtracks .
4 In TB If my char got attacked by multiple enemies, one hits and another misses, I always attack the one who misses. It is more probable that he'll land a hit in the next turn.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Perimeter check buildings before going inside
Look at vendors entire list of goods at least once instead of skimming everything
Play on default difficulty the first playthrough

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Always scouting whole location and exhausting all dialogues before i move on. Doing all sidequests before main quest. Saving money and potions. Trying to build char from stuff found in the world rather then from buying. Saving often and reloading chance based checks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When making choices I pick one my character would realistically make.

I use consumables all the time moment I get them because I know developers put too many in their game for players that need them.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Meh I find it more fun to make a character with a background then make the choices she would make

Disciple

Savant
  • If the game is single character, the first playthrough shall be attempted with a fighter type
  • Characters will be given "ethnic" names after their classes or roles (Germanic names for melée warriors, French stuff for paladins, etc)
  • If companions have preset names, they will keep them even if I don't like them and the game allows to change their names
  • Every quest will be written down on a real piece of paper and struckthrough when completed even if there is a detailed in-game journal
  • Talk to every NPC at least twice, just in case there is some 'extra' dialogue available only this way
  • Give an individual name to every save, containing the location and the number of times saved thus far; e. g., New_Reno_127
  • Never use quicksave. Manually remove autosaves if possible
  • Only buy stuff from town shops as a last resort (health potions excluded)

Silverfish

Arbiter
Stopped caring about being a good guy, pleasing everyone and happy endings long ago. Live's hard. Everyone dies eventually. Live with it.

This is one of the biggest changes I've made in recent years. Playing a more dubious character is almost always more entertaining or at the least, funnier.
1. I'm bad about starting new files to check out different characters / classes / parties. It's not at all uncommon for me to play the first hour or so of a game three or four times before settling in.
2. If stealth is an option, I'll waste hours seeing how malleable it is (is ghosting possible, can you do a kill / takedown with another person next to your target, etc.).
3. If the game is party-based (or just has a follower system like Bethesda games), I tend to leave the characters I come across in their default roles / classes, even if making a more focused or complimentary party is advisable.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Meh I find it more fun to make a character with a background then make the choices she would make
What is the background for—if not to influence, and indicate her decisions?

We are finally at a point in time where it is feasible for an RPG to parse a user created character bio, and use it to affect the game. It's a shame that none have, afaik. :(

Poseidon00

Arcane
I almost never play an RPG through to completion without a four to six month break somewhere in the middle of the game.

Skdursh

Savant
For me it's the mere fact that I keep telling myself that I love RPGs regardless of how continually disappointed I almost always am in them.

Mostly, I tend to be a completionist within the confines of my character's personality if it's a well-revered RPG. If I miss something minor, I'm frustratingly prone to opt into losing hours of progress by rolling back to an earlier save just so I can I see whatever it was. Admittedly, it's pretty autistic, but mostly I just do this so I can contribute intelligently in conversations about the given content if the game is actually worth discussing. All the better if the games have stand out quests or characters, then I'll know them quite well. If not, I'll certainly remember how unmemorable it was all the same and do my best to warn others.

Another one I have is, I tend to color co-ordinate my loot when distributing it to the party. A Paladin will never be wearing a bright pink Nymph cloak in my party for example. The Ranger and Druid will get the earthtones. I'll never wear an item that looks shitty just for the stats unless I have no other choice.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even if the game has a morality system that strictly encourages sticking to one axis, I make choices my character (not myself) would make and ignore poorly written or unrealistic choices. I even had to ”cheat“ to finish my last KotOR2 playthrough due to this, as my character wasn’t aligned enough to enter the cave on Korriban. I had chosen all light side “paths” but mostly made dark side choices within those paths (I was actually surprised to find that this was even an option, score one Avellone).

I play all RPGs on the hardest difficulty except for specifically D&D which I always play once on Core difficulty. This is only for D&D specifically - even Pathfinder I just play on the hardest difficulty.

I detest quest journal bugs and will go out of my way to tinker with modding and file editing to remove bugged quests from my log even if the problem is purely cosmetic and even if it’s a quest log system where it’s not even noticeable.

Last edited:

EldarEldrad

Savant
I always check how long the game via HowLongToBeat and then after every session count how many hours completed and how many left.
I grab all items worth selling even if I don't need more gold.
I always try to complete every possible sidequest before starting next main quest.
I use paper and pen to write down all locations where I still have something to do later and strike them out after completing. Sometimes after striking out the location, there is something more later there which leads to incredible frustration because I already stroke it out.
I always name my character(s) as some important NPC from the previous game I completed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I play CRPGs on default difficulty. I get the impression that's quite radical.

Modron, I use "house rules" like no rest spamming and save scumming to make it more challenging and interesting.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom