Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Captain Shrek said:
Possible gigantic TW2 spoiler:

Aryan la Vallette survives the fire he so courageously sets.
I suppose he shows up later if you choose Iorveth's path? Because Saskia helped defend his fortress and all. I went that path but saved the baroness instead, didn't see her ever again which was a bit disappointing. I guess Aryan is for Iorveth's path, and the baroness for Rouche.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Didn't the trailers show Geralt saving a woman (the baroness?) in a prison? Is that later in the game, something that could happen early or a trailer only bit. Or did I just imagine the entire trailer.

EDIT : Any tips on how to use monies? I'm wearing imported Rave Armor, so I don't need armor formulas just yet. But I'm very hesitant about buying potion formulas I might not need. Same thing with weapons.

Captain Shrek

Excidium said:
I suppose he shows up later if you choose Iorveth's path? Because Saskia helped defend his fortress and all. I went that path but saved the baroness instead, didn't see her ever again which was a bit disappointing. I guess Aryan is for Iorveth's path, and the baroness for Rouche.

I don't know really. It could be an independent effect. I have 'only' played the game twice. :oops:

odrzut

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Didn't the trailers show Geralt saving a woman (the baroness?) in a prison? Is that later in the game, something that could happen early or a trailer only bit. Or did I just imagine the entire trailer.

If you have killed Aryen on that tower, it would be his mother instead of him, who you met in the prison.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
anus_pounder said:
That's partially right, because in the original trailer Geralt saved the baroness in prison, and you even saw some tits :P. But they changed it later in development for a stupid reason, in the final version instead of saving the baroness you see her being released by the ambassador. There's some dialogue with her and the ambassador where they assist your escape but that's it.

The change was pretty stupid anyway, the room with the torturer and scribe loses its purpose without the baroness being held there.
anus_pounder said:
EDIT : Any tips on how to use monies? I'm wearing imported Rave Armor, so I don't need armor formulas just yet. But I'm very hesitant about buying potion formulas I might not need. Same thing with weapons.
I mostly bought silver ore and monster knowledge books. Some diagrams too, there's a good one for a steel sword that causes bleeding and poisoning. Later on I bought the diagrams to craft better leather/cloth for the more advanced armors. Oh, and weapon oil formulas. Those are great, buy them.

Never bothered with potion formulas. Only used Swallow, Cat and another one in a specific fight.

For Silver sword and Armor, you get really good diagrams from quests in act 1.

Captain Shrek

Excidium said:
anus_pounder said:
That's partially right, because in the original trailer Geralt saved the baroness in prison, and you even saw some tits :P. But they changed it later in development for a stupid reason, in the final version instead of saving the baroness you see her being released by the ambassador. There's some dialogue with her and the ambassador where they assist your escape but that's it.

No. If you play your cards right the tits are there. You just missed them.

Captain Shrek

Excidium said:
What?!

Tell me more please.

Don't directly go to the holding cell of the Baroness. Enter the lower level through a trapdoor you can approach earlier. Its key with a guard on the upper level. This way you end up near the torture room where the trailer scene plays out.

But dude, this is all just pixels. Nothing really there you are missing out.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Captain Shrek said:
Excidium said:
What?!

Tell me more please.

Don't directly go to the holding cell of the Baroness. Enter the lower level through a trapdoor you can approach earlier. Its key with a guard on the upper level. This way you end up near the torture room where the trailer scene plays out.
I walked right by that trap door, didn't enter cause I thought I'd skip the release scene. Shit.

Captain Shrek said:
But dude, this is all just pixels. Nothing really there you are missing out.
I know, but I hate missing content*. Specially tits in a twitcher game. Completionistfag and all that.

*Except when it is a matter of C&C, of course.

Phelot

Arcane
1eyedking said:
in the Act 1 quest where a she-elf asks for your help, and you decide to find the missing soldiers she supposedly led to a cave: you go inside it, fight some Nekkers and finally find the two bodies petered by arrows and a locked nearby trapdoor leading up to a nearby part of town (you can't make it out in the minimap). When you invade Loredo's kip in the end you find that a trapdoor that was previously locked during the sneak scene is now unlocked, and when you descend you find out that even though there's a cave-in, it's exactly the same cave you found the bodies in! The bastard is seeding more terror unto the population by blaming the Scoia'tel, thus exploiting Flotsam's situation. Awesome.

Eh? I'm confused by this.

I sided with the guards and had the she elf lead us into the ambush. She admitted to the murders and since you are ambushed by other elves, it seems she was obviously in cahoots with them. I have no idea why there would be a trap door there... but it doesn't seem to be that Loredo did them in.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Well shit. Not only did I use knight-diplomacy, I completely missed the trap door. Oh well.

Thanks for the help regarding shopping. Just found a diagram for a 19-24 DMG steel sword. :)

a budda

Arbiter
anus_pounder said:
Well shit. Not only did I use knight-diplomacy, I completely missed the trap door. Oh well.

Thanks for the help regarding shopping. Just found a diagram for a 25-48 DMG steel sword. :)

where?

anus_pounder

Arcane
a budda said:
anus_pounder said:

Thanks for the help regarding shopping. Just found a diagram for a 25-48 DMG steel sword. :)

where?

:x Looks like my brain went full retard and I mixed up the stats of throwing daggers and a sword. Its the jagged blade and it only does 19-24. Still a big step up from prologue weapons but...

Editing my previous post so no one is misled.

yaster

Liturgist
Gerrard said:
Anyone found the recipe that uses dragon scales?

The mage-shopper have one - the 2nd best silver sword in whole wide game.

Monocause

Arcane
made said:
Forgive me, brother, but your efforts to apologize for the QTEs are pathetic. They don't make cutscenes more fun, and they add nothing to the gameplay. TW2 at times feels like an interactive movie, which is a pity because what they have in terms of gameplay is actually really good - the combat system, for example, is fun, don't let skyway fool you - there's just too little of it relative to the lengthy cutscenes and scripted events. Limited interaction in the form of clicking LMB or steering an NPC during yet another movie sequence doesn't change that fact. CDPR clearly aimed for a "cinematic experience" and succeeded, but imo the game has suffered because of it.

I'm still early in Act 1 so I might change my mind later on, but I really don't mind the QTEs now and don't feel like watching an interactive movie - even if the prologue is excessively scripted, but it's mostly skippable and was awesome enough for me to enjoy it.

Some more of my impressions:

1) I can complain about the rather rotten loot system. You've got billions of crafting material to pick up and nowhere to store all that shit, which doesn't make any sense. Such a design decision doesn't fit right with making a shitload of stuff just lying around there for you to pick up - and which you will want to pick up. I think I'd prefer if crafting materials were more scarce and you'd have to shop for them on a regular basis - with their prices toned down so that it's possible.

2) Having watched some youtube vids I've come to consider that Polish writing is better while the English version has better VAs - not just better when it comes to actors but it seems to me that recording quality is better, perhaps they've done it in a better studio. Still, I'd say that the translation quality is as good as they come, with some occasional hiccups but that's unavoidable.

3) I still reload a save made in the prison near the cell with that angry guy who insults you to no end. I find the scene inexplicably amusing.

One thing the translation sometimes fails at are Polish movie references and such. While they're fun for me as it's still easy to pick them up in English, these should be translated to references that are understandable for the international audience - it's highly doubtful the international audience watched movies like "Psy" or "Poranek Kojota".

And two questions:

1) As it is right now most diagrams use standard leather or standard cloth instead of the upgraded ones. Does it change later on, and how much? I mean, are diagrams later in the game based solely on fe. hardened or studded or should I keep these truckloads of leather on me all the time?

2) Which skills do you guys find really OP? I'm playing on hard and enjoying the difficulty, while it's bound to go down I don't want the game to become piss-easy just because some skills are terribly overpowered. I'd like to know beforehand so that I don't use/upgrade them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Monocause said:
And two questions:

1) As it is right now most diagrams use standard leather or standard cloth instead of the upgraded ones. Does it change later on, and how much? I mean, are diagrams later in the game based solely on fe. hardened or studded or should I keep these truckloads of leather on me all the time?

2) Which skills do you guys find really OP? I'm playing on hard and enjoying the difficulty, while it's bound to go down I don't want the game to become piss-easy just because some skills are terribly overpowered. I'd like to know beforehand so that I don't use/upgrade them.
1) You start using those on chapter 2 I think. At least that's when I got some armor diagram that required hardened leather.

2) Magic is OP. I went full magic because I find it cooler but it really is way too strong, Quen is auto-win.

Monocause

Arcane
Excidium said:
2) Magic is OP. I went full magic because I find it cooler but it really is way too strong, Quen is auto-win.

And if I'd refrain from using/upgrading Quen? Or is that impossible? Are the other signs that OP too if you develop them enough?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I didn't find the other signs too OP.

Sure, the improved area-of-effect Igni is really strong but it has to be anyway as it is the main 'nuke' of a magically inclined Geralt.

Aard is fine. I don't like the stun critical effect though, because the executes are awful in group fights since often you are left sitting in the middle of the enemy group when the instakill sequence is over.

Yrden is good. I don't find it too OP, it is great to pick enemies.

Never used Axii outside of dialogue so I can't give an opinion on that one.

Quen just stands out more because it's like having another HP bar. That also damages the enemies when they hit you, leaving their guard open for a sword combo.

But to be honest, Op magic or not, the game gets piss easy later on. Just go with whatever you find interesting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Alchemy tree ended up being something of a failure most of the time. Bombs and traps were fun to make and use, no doubt, but the real core of the build is to net all the "poisoned" bonuses. Problem was that I would drink potions before a fight, go through a long dialogue, and by the time the fight started the bonuses would be gone and I'd have to fight essentially naked. I ended up turning the game to Easy because there were certain parts that literally could not be completed for me because I was constantly entering extremely difficult fights knee-capped and with a shit-FPS going on at the same time no less.

Good game, all-around, though. I enjoyed it, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom