Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

MikeJahn

Educated
I am really impressed with how the game picks up massively after the prologue, I was ready to be disappointed by it just before I got to flotsam, but now I feel its GOTY material.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Excidium said:
If I recall right that timed response is the only one that affects the story anyway, the rest is just Bioware style, same shit happens but with slightly different lines.

Bullshit. You try the snarky route during the interview to the conclusion and you get an arrow in the guts, so that affects the story. Deciding not to help certain characters also affects the story.

Try fighting Arian instead of reasoning with him and tell me with a straight face that that doesn't affect the story. What a crock of fucking shit. Depending of what you say just there you'll have the story in 3 different ways just there.

I don't know what your idea of story affecting dialogue is because the game is full of it. Perhaps you want 100 responses, each leading to 100 totally unique scenarios and each one of those leading to a hundred more and so on..:retarded: Good luck in ever getting a game like that. Devs would have to work for 100 years non-stop for something like that with billions of dollars in funds.

All these fucking idiots coming up with shit that dialogue doesn't lead to anything are the biggest fucking liars. Everything is affected in the same way that dialogue in Fallout affects things. The fools arguing that different options don't lead to anything are the same fucking hypocrites who suggest that the Master conversation in Fallout is somehow superior when objectively the effect is mostly the same, ie. The Master dies at the end..hurr durr(apart from the 'join me' option, which is in Bioware games as well yet those aren't praised for it).

BelisariuS.F

Augur
commie said:
Excidium said:
If I recall right that timed response is the only one that affects the story anyway, the rest is just Bioware style, same shit happens but with slightly different lines.

Bullshit. You try the snarky route during the interview to the conclusion and you get an arrow in the guts, so that affects the story. Deciding not to help certain characters also affects the story.

Try fighting Arian instead of reasoning with him and tell me with a straight face that that doesn't affect the story. What a crock of fucking shit. Depending of what you say just there you'll have the story in 3 different ways just there.

I don't know what your idea of story affecting dialogue is because the game is full of it. Perhaps you want 100 responses, each leading to 100 totally unique scenarios and each one of those leading to a hundred more and so on..:retarded: Good luck in ever getting a game like that. Devs would have to work for 100 years non-stop for something like that with billions of dollars in funds.

All these fucking idiots coming up with shit that dialogue doesn't lead to anything are the biggest fucking liars. Everything is affected in the same way that dialogue in Fallout affects things. The fools arguing that different options don't lead to anything are the same fucking hypocrites who suggest that the Master conversation in Fallout is somehow superior when objectively the effect is mostly the same, ie. The Master dies at the end..hurr durr(apart from the 'join me' option, which is in Bioware games as well yet those aren't praised for it).

He was talking about TIMED responses.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
BelisariuS.F said:
commie said:
Excidium said:

He was talking about TIMED responses.

I think so too... commie overreacted.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe I did overreact to Excidium, in which case I heartily apologise, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen such large talk about dialogues that lead to nothing here anyway from Skyfag and his minions, and they certainly weren't talking about 'timed responses'.

Regardless, what's the problem with them here? I though people were whining about having timed responses, so why now complain that they lead to the same thing? It's akin to whining about having chicken for dinner then raging that it's not crispy.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Have you noticed that Volly disappeared about the same time TW2 was released?
Coincidence? I don't think so.
He must be masturbating furiously to the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
hoverdog said:
Have you noticed that Volly disappeared about the same time TW2 was released?
Coincidence? I don't think so.
He must be masturbating furiously to the game.
Naaah, he is just replaying DA2 for the 7th time.

Deleted member 7219

Didn't Volourn hate DA2 when it first came out?

Or does the contrarian in him now love it now everyone who liked the first one dismissed it as rushed, consolised trash?

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Matt7895 said:
Didn't Volourn hate DA2 when it first came out?

Or does the contrarian in him now love it now everyone who liked the first one dismissed it as rushed, consolised trash?

No idea, I think he gave it an 8/10 tough.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The game doesn't present you with a lot of choices, most of the time your choices are dual in nature, i.e. support Iorweth or Roche, save Triss or someone else etc. But despite the fact that you haven't a multitude of options at least they deliver on the consequenses. Not only chapter 2 but also chapter 3 can be significantly different according to your choices. Neat. Plus, imo the story and characters are most excellent. Of course such things are super-subjective, but I liked it. I rage at all the QTE popamole bullshit though. Fucking bossfights. Whoever designed those deserves a kick in the balls.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The game doesn't present you with a lot of choices
You are talking about options to choose from when you have to make a choice, not the number of times you have to make o choice, right?

made

Arcane
So I finally got to the infamous operator. Holy shit! Anyone manage to kill him on hard? Even with Quen abuse I just couldn't do it. I switched to easy in the end and it was still a bitch. One mistake and it's pretty much over. Do I suck so bad or is he really that tough?

Black

Arcane
He himself is manageable but his gargoyles on steroids are the major pain in this fight.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
made said:
So I finally got to the infamous operator. Holy shit! Anyone manage to kill him on hard? Even with Quen abuse I just couldn't do it. I switched to easy in the end and it was still a bitch. One mistake and it's pretty much over. Do I suck so bad or is he really that tough?

Didn't have him on my Swordman play. Found him on the mage one. Igni the bastard, and buff my to cast Hiero (slow time) and finish the mobs. Igni the bastard, cuz his shield will kick you back.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Elwro said:
Installed the thing. Can't remap keys. And the game overheats my PC :rpgcodex:
Your PC is shit then. If any game can cause a hardware to overheat, there is a serious problem with the configuration.

made

Arcane
Havoc said:
made said:

Didn't have him on my Swordman play. Found him on the mage one. Igni the bastard, and buff my to cast Hiero (slow time) and finish the mobs. Igni the bastard, cuz his shield will kick you back.
I tried with AoE Aard since it knocks him over and has a chance to stun the gargs, but since vigor doesn't regen while Quen is running, and without it gargs oneshot you, well... I should have finished another quest first tbh, the epic swords would have come in handy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't remember that Operator fight, is it only on the rouche path?
commie said:
Maybe I did overreact to Excidium, in which case I heartily apologise,
No problem. ;)

commie said:
Regardless, what's the problem with them here? I though people were whining about having timed responses, so why now complain that they lead to the same thing? It's akin to whining about having chicken for dinner then raging that it's not crispy.
And what's wrong with that? If the chicken was crispy, or, if timed responses affected the game somehow (other than that one choice Hoaxmetal pointed out, which is part of a pretty awesome sequence and fits very well) it wouldn't be so bad. Otherwise It feels like just another forced mechanic that adds nothing to the game.

But to be honest, i don't think it is the timed response that annoys me, but how the game auto-picks an option when the timer is over.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
J_C said:
Elwro said:
Your PC is shit then. If any game can cause a hardware to overheat, there is a serious problem with the configuration.
Not any game. Just this single one. Last two games I finished were Risen and Fallout: NV, with noe overheating problems. I guess this might be related to one of the graphical effects used by the game, I read somewhere that there are specific effects which shouldn't be used on an nvidia GT 240. I will check this...

dr. one

Augur
made said:
Do I suck so bad or is he really that tough?
It´s probably more matter of the encounter being tough :).

I did it on hard with Quen abuse, vigor at 5, that sword which adds 25% against gargoyles and a lot of moving around.
Used few steel sword heavy hits on the Operator, rolled behind a pillar to change swords/recast Quen, dispatched gargoyles mostly from behind the pillars (changing pillars and recasting Quen when needed), then just fucked around till vigor regenerated to full and repeated the whole procedure 2 (or maybe) 3 times.

On a replay I´ve discovered the encounter can be (even more) cheesed due to an AI limitation, but that´s not worth mentioning ;).

Elwro said:
J_C said:
Elwro said:
Not any game. Just this single one. Last two games I finished were Risen and Fallout: NV, with noe overheating problems. I guess this might be related to one of the graphical effects used by the game, I read somewhere that there are specific effects which shouldn't be used on an nvidia GT 240. I will check this...

Nothing a programmer can do should be able to overheat something (minus obviously malicious things like turning off your fans). Thats a problem with the hardware manufacturers, the airflow in your case, or the environment being too hot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom