Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Data4

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Lesifoere said:
Data4 said:
"My favorite kind of magic: Lesbomancy!" :lol:

Gotta admit I lol'd at that one. Oh CDPR.

The whole dwarf crew really made the scoia'tal path amazing.

I thought Yarpen's Hitler combover was pretty amusing. It's funny, even though they're the standard fantasy dwarves, with the Scottish accents and alcoholism, their presentation in TW2 is among the best of any game I've played.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Overweight Manatee said:
Elwro said:
J_C said:
Elwro said:
Installed the thing. Can't remap keys. And the game overheats my PC :rpgcodex:
Your PC is shit then. If any game can cause a hardware to overheat, there is a serious problem with the configuration.
Not any game. Just this single one. Last two games I finished were Risen and Fallout: NV, with noe overheating problems. I guess this might be related to one of the graphical effects used by the game, I read somewhere that there are specific effects which shouldn't be used on an nvidia GT 240. I will check this...

Nothing a programmer can do should be able to overheat something (minus obviously malicious things like turning off your fans). Thats a problem with the hardware manufacturers, the airflow in your case, or the environment being too hot.
Well, I turned off something called "SSAO" and I was able to play for 80 minutes without any problems.

Elwro said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Elwro said:
J_C said:
Elwro said:
Installed the thing. Can't remap keys. And the game overheats my PC :rpgcodex:
Your PC is shit then. If any game can cause a hardware to overheat, there is a serious problem with the configuration.
Not any game. Just this single one. Last two games I finished were Risen and Fallout: NV, with noe overheating problems. I guess this might be related to one of the graphical effects used by the game, I read somewhere that there are specific effects which shouldn't be used on an nvidia GT 240. I will check this...

Nothing a programmer can do should be able to overheat something (minus obviously malicious things like turning off your fans). Thats a problem with the hardware manufacturers, the airflow in your case, or the environment being too hot.
Well, I turned off something called "SSAO" and I was able to play for 80 minutes without any problems.

Didn't mean to say that it wasn't possible, just that if it does happen its considered a hardware fault or user fault, not the fault of someone writing perfectly reasonable code. If everything was working fine it should be possible to run at 100% utilization and not overheat, otherwise there is a problem.

Divinity: Original Sin
made said:
Havoc said:
made said:
So I finally got to the infamous operator. Holy shit! Anyone manage to kill him on hard? Even with Quen abuse I just couldn't do it. I switched to easy in the end and it was still a bitch. One mistake and it's pretty much over. Do I suck so bad or is he really that tough?

Didn't have him on my Swordman play. Found him on the mage one. Igni the bastard, and buff my to cast Hiero (slow time) and finish the mobs. Igni the bastard, cuz his shield will kick you back.
I tried with AoE Aard since it knocks him over and has a chance to stun the gargs, but since vigor doesn't regen while Quen is running, and without it gargs oneshot you, well... I should have finished another quest first tbh, the epic swords would have come in handy.

Well, reach him today. After dying 50 times, I didn't give up and manage to come with a strategy. I quaffed some potions (swallow, tawny oil and golden oriole), used whetstone and armed myself with the silver sword.

I only have swordman path of skils filled, with only aard level 1. The thing is that I realized the gargoyles are VERY succetible to stun with aard, making it very easy to kill them. after they're dead, you supposedly CAN'T save the game, but you may hide behind the colums, and evetually, the operator will giveup the fight and you will be able to save the game. The operator regenerates health, but he summons the gargoyles only three times, and it's just when he loses 25%, 50% and 75%. If he refills his energy, he won't summon the gargoyles he already summoned. After dealing with all six gargoyles, just aard him and beat him until he's dead.

You can even save after talking to him. Just hide behind the columns. If you get beaten, if you drank swallow, you can wait your health get better before restart the fight again.

It's an exploit to save middle battle, but it's better than downgrade the difficult level. I don't cosider it cheating though, since the game permits me to do it. I was almost giving up, but since the gargoyles are easily stunned, and using columns as cover, I managed to defeat him on hard.

To be honest, discovering this kind of exploits is part of the fun.

Darth Slaughter said:
made said:
Havoc said:
made said:
So I finally got to the infamous operator. Holy shit! Anyone manage to kill him on hard? Even with Quen abuse I just couldn't do it. I switched to easy in the end and it was still a bitch. One mistake and it's pretty much over. Do I suck so bad or is he really that tough?

Didn't have him on my Swordman play. Found him on the mage one. Igni the bastard, and buff my to cast Hiero (slow time) and finish the mobs. Igni the bastard, cuz his shield will kick you back.
I tried with AoE Aard since it knocks him over and has a chance to stun the gargs, but since vigor doesn't regen while Quen is running, and without it gargs oneshot you, well... I should have finished another quest first tbh, the epic swords would have come in handy.

Well, reach him today. After dying 50 times, I didn't give up and manage to come with a strategy. I quaffed some potions (swallow, tawny oil and golden oriole), used whetstone and armed myself with the silver sword.

I only have swordman path of skils filled, with only aard level 1. The thing is that I realized the gargoyles are VERY succetible to stun with aard, making it very easy to kill them. after they're dead, you supposedly CAN'T save the game, but you may hide behind the colums, and evetually, the operator will giveup the fight and you will be able to save the game. The operator regenerates health, but he summons the gargoyles only three times, and it's just when he loses 25%, 50% and 75%. If he refills his energy, he won't summon the gargoyles he already summoned. After dealing with all six gargoyles, just aard him and beat him until he's dead.

You can even save after talking to him. Just hide behind the columns. If you get beaten, if you drank swallow, you can wait your health get better before restart the fight again.

It's an exploit to save middle battle, but it's better than downgrade the difficult level. I don't cosider it cheating though, since the game permits me to do it. I was almost giving up, but since the gargoyles are easily stunned, and using columns as cover, I managed to defeat him on hard.

Yeah, congratulations on using an exploit to defeat a hard enemy. It shows how clever and creative you are.

/sarcasm

MasPingon

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:

:bravo:

That's some heavy strategy you come with

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hi guise, spoiler-question about Triss around end-game

So I have to choose between going with Blind Phillipa or saving Triss. In line with the "fuck your politics" Geralt I've been playing I say "fuck that shit" and go save Triss. Trouble is, as you get closer to saving her, you find out the bitch has been lying to you about the lodge and stuff. Fuck it though, I'm willing to hear her out.

You ask her to tell the truth, and she comes clean. Then you ask "anything else you've been lying about?" and she replies with "Don't insult me." Mothafucka what?!? You have withheld critical information that could've saved lives, time and stuff, and now you're telling me I'm insulting you by doubting you?

So, to my point. After this, you basically have to choose between saying "alright babe let's get outta this dive" or "I don't trust you :cry:". What did people choose? I mean, the first one seems to be giving up and recognizing yourself as nothing but a stupid tank that solves the bitch's problem and doesn't ask questions. The other seems kindda defeatist though: "Yeah, so I just gave up critical information from Phillipa as well as saving Saskia to wade through 50 billion nilfgardians and save you. But, I'm just gonna walk away now. See ya, bitch."

I hate well-written stuff that makes me care about the choices I make :(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Grunker said:
Hi guise, spoiler-question about Triss around end-game

So I have to choose between going with Blind Phillipa or saving Triss. In line with the "fuck your politics" Geralt I've been playing I say "fuck that shit" and go save Triss. Trouble is, as you get closer to saving her, you find out the bitch has been lying to you about the lodge and stuff. Fuck it though, I'm willing to hear her out.

You ask her to tell the truth, and she comes clean. Then you ask "anything else you've been lying about?" and she replies with "Don't insult me." Mothafucka what?!? You have withheld critical information that could've saved lives, time and stuff, and now you're telling me I'm insulting you by doubting you?

So, to my point. After this, you basically have to choose between saying "alright babe let's get outta this dive" or "I don't trust you :cry:". What did people choose? I mean, the first one seems to be giving up and recognizing yourself as nothing but a stupid tank that solves the bitch's problem and doesn't ask questions. The other seems kindda defeatist though: "Yeah, so I just gave up critical information from Phillipa as well as saving Saskia to wade through 50 billion nilfgardians and save you. But, I'm just gonna walk away now. See ya, bitch."

I hate well-written stuff that makes me care about the choices I make :(
I feel ya.
I went the Phillipa route but halfway through it I reloaded and went to save Triss. I picked "alright babe let's get outta this dive" because I can't help it, after all the grey political decisions I just wanted to be the romantic hero that arrives at the nick of time, beats all the bad guys and then all is well. How Biowarian am I in a scale of 1 to 10? :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, just winning in this game. They've been taking some notes from A Song of Ice and Fire:

Cersei Lannister said:
When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win, or you die.

What happens if

You say you can't trust her? Does she actually fake some kindda remorse, or what?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No idea, I uninstalled the game after I finished to prevent more "reloading to see what happens". Gonna save that stuff for a future playthrough.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excidium said:
No idea, I uninstalled the game after I finished to prevent more "reloading to see what happens". Gonna save that stuff for a future playthrough.

While I feel ya, I'm not gonna replay this game more than perhaps 2-3 times AT MOST. The combat is just way too unexciting for that. In other words I won't be going with the option to
save Triss
in a future playthrough just to see what happens if I say I
don't trust her
which makes me curious as to what happens if you do.

I was hugely satisfied with the choices I made up till that point. Sure, it was always the lesser evil. But this choice made me feel like I'd chosen the bigger evil and turned the blind eye to it out of self-denial.

made

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:

I dunno, I used it too (on top of switching to easy) because I wanted to be done with it, but it felt cheap and not really rewarding. Nothing to be proud of about abusing the dumb AI.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Grunker said:
I was hugely satisfied with the choices I made up till that point. Sure, it was always the lesser evil. But this choice made me feel like I'd chosen the bigger evil and turned the blind eye to it out of self-denial.
C&C, bitch! ;)

It was so refreshing to think about which option to pick, instead of the good/neutral/evil stuff we're served most of the time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Indeed. Though I will say that the medium's restrictions come into play here. I mean, in reality, I would never be forced to make a choice so consequential for the relationship at that point. All other choices up to this point didn't feel forced; they were pretty much necessary and I can't think of alternative options. So in that, they were really well designed because they circumvented the restrictions of the medium.

This choice reeks a bit too much of standard Bioware-fare, not in quality, but in the way that it feels like a forced a choice. I dunno, could be bias because I just hate having to make it.

Divinity: Original Sin
MasPingon said:
Darth Slaughter said:

That's some heavy strategy you come with

Haha...

Well, the strategy was the part you didn't quote. To be honest, with the swords I had and being a level 29 swodsman, it was impossible to defeat the boss without that exploit.

And BTW, I think it's preferable than setting down difficulty.

And by the way, isn't saving anywhere the norm for PC exclusive games?

No, using actual strategy instead of Quen+sword is strategy. It just sounds like you suck and used a bug to your advantage. Kudos, fagotron!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Grunker said:
Indeed. Though I will say that the medium's restrictions come into play here. I mean, in reality, I would never be forced to make a choice so consequential for the relationship at that point. All other choices up to this point didn't feel forced; they were pretty much necessary and I can't think of alternative options. So in that, they were really well designed because they circumvented the restrictions of the medium.

This choice reeks a bit too much of standard Bioware-fare, not in quality, but in the way that it feels like a forced a choice. I dunno, could be bias because I just hate having to make it.
You know what else is funny? If you don't save Triss then Letho does and she doesn't mind, so all is good anyway?!!

Guess they couldn't let here die so easily.

odrzut

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
You know what else is funny? If you don't save Triss then Letho does and she doesn't mind, so all is good anyway?!!

Yeah, that's a little too "happy ending" for The Witcher world. It also reminds me about Henryk Sienkiewicz Trilogy, where main hero has to choose between patriotic obligations and his love. It's patriotic epos, so of course he chooses country over his lover, and in the end everything is good anyway. For heroic epos it's all good, for dark fantasy not so much.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Grunker said:

Triss'll be needed for future BioWarian romance drama with Yennefer in TW3.

odrzut

Arcane
abnaxus said:
Triss'll be needed for future BioWarian romance drama with Yennefer in TW3.

They could have left her in the Nilfgaard hands, so there would be even more drama - who to rescue first, Yen or Triss.

BTW - man I can't wait for Yen to be rescued, and to see her reaction to Geralt being with Triss in the meantime. Yen is such a bitch, it has to be a great scene.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Grunker said:

That fucking sucks donkey-balls, is what it does. I'm all in for not letting her die, but as a bare minimum she should leave your ass. Not even letting your sleep on the couch seems a liiiiiittle to wacky. Although I guess you don't get to know what a betraying bitch she is, if you don't save her.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Otoh it's another reason to not kill Letho? I mean he saves her when seeing you don't have time and stuff. Kinda weird to kill him then.

MasPingon

Arcane
Btw Letho is really nice character, I felt a strange (witcher) bond with him. Ofcourse I killed him at the end just to show him who's the boss after what he did to me in act 1, but then reloaded and let him live. Hope CDP will make a DLC or expansion pack to show how we actually met him. I want to hunt a Wild Hunt with this fat motherfucker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom