Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old Games under new engines

RuySan

Augur
Besides Ultima V and Deus Ex, which other old games are recieving new treatment under new engines? I hope more programmers do this since pretty much every RPG nowadays suck

LCJr.

Erudite
There were a few Wasteland remakes that fizzled out.

Not a remake per se but a project to make a RPG engine along the lines of Darklands. Too early to say if it will go anywhere. http://sourceforge.net/projects/darkworlds

Not quite a new engine but IIRC it added some render options. Exult http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Most of the remakes I've seen are strategy, XCom, Colonization and MOM, or adventure games like the Kings Quest series.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ultima VI Archon: http://www.u6project.com/

This is using the same resources/Engine (Dungeon Siege 1) that the Ultima V Lazarus team used.

I'm really looking forward to this one, as much as I enjoyed Ultima V Lazarus.

RuySan

Augur
Jaesun said:
Ultima VI Archon: http://www.u6project.com/

This is using the same resources/Engine (Dungeon Siege 1) that the Ultima V Lazarus team used.

I'm really looking forward to this one, as much as I enjoyed Ultima V Lazarus.

that's great. I really enjoyed ultima VI on the Amiga back in the day.

yipsl

Scholar
FrancoTAU said:
What the world really needs is a Magic Candle remake done.

Yes, especially Magic Candle 2, that was my favorite of the series. When Morrowind's blight came along, all I could think of was "I didn't like that in Magic Candle 3". Yet, Magic Candle 2 was flawless.

Unique monsters and nice dungeons. Sneaking into the other side's city in disguise seeing how the dark half lived. Dropping a party member off to earn some cash, hunting for food, exploring, all that great stuff. Too bad it was all isometric.

I guess the reason I loved TES and Might and Magic so much is that they were first person. TES single character and Might and Magic party based. I'd love to see Magic Candle done with a first person view, but still using a party. For some reason, I have to stretch my preferences to accept an isometric RPG. It has to be exceptional, which is why I loved Magic Candle 2 over even Ultima 4.

Here's Might and Magic Tribute. Other than the 2003 Tech Demo, I haven't tried it, but I will once I get Oblivion out of the way. It's bound to be better than Dark Messsiah of Half Life Too.

http://www.mmtribute.castlegobs.nl/

Zomg

Arbiter
Saint_Proverbius said:
There's a few Ultima Underworld remake engines, like this one.

Fork that into authentic and nonauthentic versions and give me a novel UI that isn't explicity designed to speed 1991 PC framerates by hiding screen, please.

I'd go bonkers over a content port of Darklands with some modern RPG amenities like a combo of Space Rangers-style and traditional journaling, and maybe some de-shitted combat.

bryce777

Erudite
Zomg said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
There's a few Ultima Underworld remake engines, like this one.

Fork that into authentic and nonauthentic versions and give me a novel UI that isn't explicity designed to speed 1991 PC framerates by hiding screen, please.

I'd go bonkers over a content port of Darklands with some modern RPG amenities like a combo of Space Rangers-style and traditional journaling, and maybe some de-shitted combat.

I actually wish armagan would make mount and blade more in this style. It is fairly close, as it is. It's idiotic the way you can always see enemies a ridiculously long way away. this also makes the game world look stupid because it's obviously broken since there are far, far too many units on the map at any time.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
yipsl said:
FrancoTAU said:
What the world really needs is a Magic Candle remake done.

Yes, especially Magic Candle 2, that was my favorite of the series. When Morrowind's blight came along, all I could think of was "I didn't like that in Magic Candle 3". Yet, Magic Candle 2 was flawless.

Unique monsters and nice dungeons. Sneaking into the other side's city in disguise seeing how the dark half lived. Dropping a party member off to earn some cash, hunting for food, exploring, all that great stuff. Too bad it was all isometric.

I guess the reason I loved TES and Might and Magic so much is that they were first person. TES single character and Might and Magic party based. I'd love to see Magic Candle done with a first person view, but still using a party. For some reason, I have to stretch my preferences to accept an isometric RPG. It has to be exceptional, which is why I loved Magic Candle 2 over even Ultima 4.

Here's Might and Magic Tribute. Other than the 2003 Tech Demo, I haven't tried it, but I will once I get Oblivion out of the way. It's bound to be better than Dark Messsiah of Half Life Too.

http://www.mmtribute.castlegobs.nl/

MC2 was my fave from all the games using that engine too. Most people do prefer the first one and the whole time limit to the game. All they have to do is tweak the energy system when traveling outdoors... it got annoying micromanaging everyone's energy after every 4 steps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom