Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review On the 2nd day of Christmas, I got Mass Effect

fastpunk

Arbiter
Volourn said:
MAKO is awesome.

You mean that boat on restless waters? Frickin awesome. Soon you'll tell us that the decryption mini-game is awesome too.

Volourn said:
Inventory is shit. SOZ levels of shit.

'Wow, a few people on the codex liked SoZ, a game I despise. Guess I'll just cry about it in every thread! WAAAHHH! WAAAHHH!'

Volourn said:
Hilariously enough, my squad mates NEVER shut me in the back. R00fles!

Bullshit!

burrie

Scholar
Just curious, in my one playthrough of Mass Effect, I never grabbed anyone's collar, I've only seen it happen once in one of the first demos. At what point in the game do you actually do that?

fastpunk

Arbiter
burrie said:
Just curious, in my one playthrough of Mass Effect, I never grabbed anyone's collar, I've only seen it happen once in one of the first demos. At what point in the game do you actually do that?

Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing any collar grabbing action either. Though I do remember Shepard pulling a gun quite a few times. Once even to a dude who asked for an autograph. EXTREME SHIT YO!

fastpunk said:
burrie said:

Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing any collar grabbing action either. Though I do remember Shepard pulling a gun quite a few times. Once even to a dude who asked for an autograph. EXTREME SHIT YO!

Yeah. They took out the collar-grab scene with Garrus from the demo. I thought there might have been another somewhere along the line, but it might have been a shoulder grab.

Volourn said:
Hilariously enough, my squad mates NEVER shut me in the back.

That was my experience too. Maybe because I used the command interface all the time. Don't know.

Rhalle said:
Production values were obviously high, and the game provides an enjoyable overall experience, but good grief it's mediocre in every way except the cinematics.

Eh, not really. The combat system itself is not too shabby, with lots of variety and options. It was fluid enough, fast, and pretty fun. The only problem was that it suffered from rather poor encounter/level design, kind of crippling a good deal of the potential of the combat system. Kind of like Temple of Elemental Evil, where the combat system was great, but the endless bugbears, and other boring fights, weren't. When I wrote my Mass Effect review, I was a lot harsher on the combat than I am now, mostly because while playing Fallout 3, I was constantly wishing for combat at Mass Effect levels and sort of appreciated it a bit more.

The character system is pretty decent, allowing different ways to play/build each class. A Vanguard could go heavy on Barrier and Shotguns to be an upfront tank, or go with a bent towards finesse by taking lift and pistols to bring the enemy out of cover, and light them up with a rapid-fire pistol ability for some nice damage. Throw in the secondary class upgrade midway through the game, and you can get some pretty interesting skill mixes and a good deal of character variety.

The soundtrack is awesome, being much like a fusion of Blade Runner and System Shock 2. The voice-work is typical Bioware quality, which is a good thing, seeing as it's something Bioware does very well. Because hiring professional voice actors and casting them appropriately is far better than the Bethesda method.

It's definitely got some big flaws, but it at least does rise above mediocre most of the time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You mean that boat on restless waters? Frickin awesome. Soon you'll tell us that the decryption mini-game is awesome too."

Just because the MAKO is awesome does not mean the decryption mini game was awesome too. They don't connect. It was merely blaisse.

"Wow, a few people on the codex liked SoZ, a game I despise. Guess I'll just cry about it in every thread! WAAAHHH! WAAAHHH!'"

Hey, not my fault SOZ gave me a new word for shit. SOZ = Shitty.. therefore when someones says ME's inventory system is shitty what they meant to say is that ME's inventory is SOZZY. R00fles!

"Bullshit!"

Facts don't lie. ME's squad mates never shot (or shut) me in the back. Mayhaps you are mistaking them for FO npcs? LMAO

fastpunk

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Hey, not my fault SOZ gave me a new word for shit. SOZ = Shitty.. therefore when someones says ME's inventory system is shitty what they meant to say is that ME's inventory is SOZZY. R00fles!

Oh please. It's not your fault for whining like a baby? You're so full of SoZ, I mean shit.

Volourn said:
Facts don't lie. ME's squad mates never shot (or shut) me in the back. Mayhaps you are mistaking them for FO npcs? LMAO

OK, I'll give you this one... if you stop and issue orders every 15 second. But if you leave them unchecked they do all sorts of stupid shit like getting in your way, shooting you in the back or getting themselves killed. Facts don't lie.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You're so full of SoZ, I mean shit."

'Nough said part 1.

"OK, I'll give you this one..."

'Nough said part 2.

Volourn said:
"It can't be stressed enough how horrible that tank handles."

MAKO is awesome.

This sheds much more light to your character than anything else you have ever said.

Now, I understand perfectly.

burrie said:

I remember a few times, all of them pretty stupid. Is the first that human diplomat in the bar? But mostly, I think the asshole/renegade/whatever options were pretty good. Especially at the end,
where you sacrifice the council to ensure Sovereign's destruction. Then you install a human dictator to the galaxy. That was cool.

Someone mentioned the elevators. I wonder what the heck is their purpose? It would seem they're there instead of loading screens, but whenever you actually get loading screens, they are pretty short, whereas the elevator scenes take longer than the game's fabled sex scene (I got that blue chick + male PC, and it was completely horrible.). I mean, at Citadel, it's better to run at the nearest fast transit console (loading screen) than go the seemingly shortest route if it includes an elevator.

KurtH

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Bullshit. NWN: TP, HOTU, and ME are about the same quality. And,NWN, SOU, HOTU, ME, KOTOR, and JE are vastly superior role playing games too.
Volourn said:
And,NWN, SOU, HOTU, ME, KOTOR, and JE are vastly superior role playing games too.
Volourn said:
and JE are vastly superior role playing games too.
Volourn said:
JE... vastly superior role playing game
DOES NOT COMPUTE

hiver

I didnt manage to do it at all. But i was pretty much randomly choosing options anyway.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hey skyway, here's question.

I never played any Bioware game made after KotOR.

You didn't particularly like KotOR either. So what made you play Jade Empire? And then what made you play Mass Effect afterwards?

Obviously, you do not have entirely positive impressions of these games. So what has made you continue playing Bioware games till now? I just simply stopped a long time ago, so I wonder what your reasons were.

Was it that there was something that you liked about Jade Empire and KotOR? Was it that you liked what they were promising with Jade Empire and Mass Effect? Is it that you thoroughly enjoyed all Bioware games, and all the faults you point out in them are things despite which you enjoyed the game? Was it that there was nothing else to play? Or, god forbid, you wanted to see how bad they were? Or perhaps some desire to see and experience every possible game that comes out, despite past impressions of the developer? Or perhaps, a deep faith in Bioware based on their very early games, that has now made you their permanent customer? What is it?

Also, have I genuinely missed anything by not playing any Bioware game after KotOR?

made

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Someone mentioned the elevators. I wonder what the heck is their purpose? It would seem they're there instead of loading screens, but whenever you actually get loading screens, they are pretty short, whereas the elevator scenes take longer than the game's fabled sex scene (I got that blue chick + male PC, and it was completely horrible.). I mean, at Citadel, it's better to run at the nearest fast transit console (loading screen) than go the seemingly shortest route if it includes an elevator.

I can only imagine they were used to cache data in the console version and nobody bothered to shorten them for the PC port.

Anyway, I just finished ME.

The combat didn't bother me much, it was actually rather fun until mid-end game where cover wasn't neccessary anymore and most enemies were a one-shot. Party AI sucks, but I doubt you'd even have noticed when they shot you in the back since apparently there's no friendly fire. Inventory wasn't much of an issue either despite its consolishness since gear upgrades are usually easy to spot thats to the imaginative naming formula.

Plot/story is as cliched and derivative as it gets, but it gets the job donel as the stage for a spaceopera where the focus is on "roleplaying" Shepard. You basically get to chose between Paladin - Neutral - Badass dialogue options to "define your character", where the badass, or as Bioware calls it "renegade", ranges from "needlessly brutal just for the coolness of it" to "the mission has top priority, nothing else matters". Choosing renegade is practically a must since it provides the most entertainment, but the game takes itself too seriously. More extreme, satire, would have been preferable.

There are also several major "moral decisions" you have to make which are rather well realized, although none of them has actual gameplay consequences. The final choice you make to decide the ending is also quite neat.

All in all an entertaining game, as far as Bioware games go.

Porta

Novice
Volourn said:
Bullshit. NWN: TP, HOTU, and ME are about the same quality. And,NWN, SOU, HOTU, ME, KOTOR, and JE are vastly superior role playing games too.

polar-bear-face-palm.thumbnail.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Hey skyway, here's question.

I never played any Bioware game made after KotOR.

You didn't particularly like KotOR either. So what made you play Jade Empire? And then what made you play Mass Effect afterwards?

Obviously, you do not have entirely positive impressions of these games. So what has made you continue playing Bioware games till now? I just simply stopped a long time ago, so I wonder what your reasons were. "

Easy answer. Skyway, like many weak morons, has no willpower. He pretends to hate BIO (or some other company) yet is one of the first in line to buy/play/steal their games. All the while, he proclaims to hate it with a passion yet will hide in his little corner fo the world and play them. L0L

You seem to be smart. If you hate BIO games, AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

Porta

Novice
Fat Dragon said:
Chuck Norris had training from Bruce Lee. So that at least makes him a half-god.
Pfff ... U believe this old lie ? Come on, first of all was here Chuck. After everything other, even Bruce Lee.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Porta said:
Fat Dragon said:
Chuck Norris had training from Bruce Lee. So that at least makes him a half-god.
Pfff ... U believe this old lie ? Come on, first of all was here Chuck. After everything other, even Bruce Lee.
And it's worth pointing out that in a real fight, Chuck Norris would have kicked Bruce Lee's ass without a hitch.

Porta

Novice
But still somewhere in galaxy is ancient evil, which expecting to Chuck Norris mistake ! So be carefull Chuck ! This ancient evil is camouflage like innocent good and smart child !

TODDPOINTING.jpg

Porta

Novice
Trash said:
Chuck Norris is an old, tired and utterly boring meme as as we all know, memes are retarded. Go be ashamed of yourself.

applause.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom