Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

oscar

Arcane
Mongols had to domesticate those horses too ya know. I don't really think you can metagame in a story like this, as their is never really an 'ideal' option. Personally I'm trying to shape us into a Conan-esque race of badasses, who successfully skirt the line between becoming over-civilized and decadent, and too barbaric and primitive to ever stand a chance against our neighbours.

We'll see in any case. Really looking forwards to this and impressed by the cracking pace of the updates Curufinwe! Your not the only Italian doing this sort of story on the Codex either.

Yeah, not entirely sure how I feel about this being Earth. May give us some meta-gamey knowledge and sort of rail-roads the story (assuming history goes along the lines it did here, what it likely will as we are just one tribe). Though I assume a half-decent storyteller would weave things so there's no obvious 'ideal' solution.

kazgar

Arcane
Probably should've called it earth like, so we didn't assume physical properties that reality lumps us with. But onwards regardless.

Lindblum

Augur
A. Ranger
B. Slavemaster(we are codex)
C. Mage.

Maybe some crazy villager might breed with the animals creating something insane?
I wouldn't be too worried about meta gaming, just because this is earth doesn't mean there is a right choice.

OP might want to change the Earth to some other planet. Make one up?

Curufinwe

Learned
I will just say almost every choice has its benefits. There will be, here and there, choices that plain suck, but not too often. Nothing else. Don't want to spoil anything. :D
And don't worry about where we are or where we are supposed to be. We're primitive men who know nothing, as I said in the OP. :p

Vernydar

Learned
Yes, well, the entire "there's no ideal choice" gig was a given. Besides, I suppose we're going to be surprised quite a bit of times down the road, as choices we make result in consequences different from what we thought.

Regardless, metagaming makes things like these a lot less fun. Personally I try to rp choosing what I think is best based on the knowledge the tribe has at the moment. For example, in this moment, my choice was simply: we are few, we need more food. Others may have different priorities :P

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright, voting is officially closed. Yet again, we had 11 votes (thanks again for the support), with an overwhelming victory for the B option, with 7 votes. A stops at a measly 1 (you bunch of eco-friendly freaks :mad:) and C at 3.

Update incoming in a bit, as soon as I remember what was supposed to happen next.

Ok, I remembered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

The debate ended after a few months, when one of the most vocal hunters, while demonstrating his ability, was gored by an ill-tempered buffalo in front of half the tribe.

At first we tried to tame the big black-furred horned beasts, but it didn't go quite as planned. We had to flee a huge stampeding herd more than once, the animals too fierce, too stubborn to be lured by our childish attempts to bring them with us.
We then started working on the striped white and black hoofed beasts, who moved in somewhat smaller herds and usually fled when approached. We spent many years learning what they liked to eat, how to approach them without spooking them and, finally, how to isolate small groups and bring them back to us.

Things started to get better as soon as we learned not to kill any beast within sight of the others. That sent more than a herd immediately fleeing back to the freedom of the plains. We suddenly had a somewhat reliable source of food, and we could use the zebras (that's what we decided to call them) to carry burdens over distances previously unthinkable.

The new prosperity softened us somewhat, we no longer were a pack of lean and half-starved survivors, but still our lives couldn't be called easy. We still had to rely on the great swarming herds to replace lost beasts and meet increased demands. We still had trouble finding reliable sources of water when the sky didn't gift us with rain for too long periods of time.

During a fierce rainstorm at night, we sought shelter in a nearby small forest. The sky growled its displeasure with frightening lances of light falling all too near to our position... until suddenly, one hit the trees just before we reached them.
Stunned by the noise, we scattered in all directions, until the men of the tribe could restore order, and pointed to a scary phenomenon happening in the trees.
Light was coming from them, red light, and a wordless roar of anger was heard even above the noise of the rain. Our zebras, hearing this, started running away, heedless of the cries of the animal tamers trying to bring them back.

The animal tamers cried out: 'The zebras know to flee from the predators, and we've never seen them so scared. We should heed their warning and run after them, to gather them back up at the same time'
One man spoke up: 'We should go and observe, hidden in the trees, what manner of beast is causing this light and noise. It is indeed a new danger, and we shouldn't let it assault us while we don't know anything about it'
The few animal worshipers left, seeing a chance, yelled: 'This great beast is surely a spirit even stronger than the spirit of the graceful zebra or the mighty buffalo. We should try to confront it, to commune with it to learn its name and strengths!'

Sooo.

A: Run after the zebra herd, gather them back up, in the meantime escaping from this frightening new danger.
B: Carefully observe the new great beast, unseen, from the surrounding forest. We need to learn what we're going to face.
C: Boldly approach the monster, learning its name and worshiping it. It could give us great power!

Usual rules, majority vote, 24 hours or so to vote, you know the drill by now.

Vernydar

Learned
C
An old, wizened hunter of the tribe stares entranced at the red, roaring monster.

"I have never seen anything like this! This monster, descended from the sky, is clearly much more powerful than anything we have ever encountered! The mighty animals of the open grass flee before it too!
And while it came down from the sky, it was invisible before! It's not like the animals that fly up there.
I think we should try to learn its name, learns its strengths, and if it's indeed something beyond anything we have ever met, worship it in hope it decides to protect us!"

Kz3r0

Arcane
A: Run after the zebra herd, gather them back up, in the meantime escaping from this frightening new danger.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We should go and observe, hidden in the trees

lulz electrocution and burning to death

Damn man...

On the other hand, clearing fire is a useful tech.

B

Tigranes

Arcane
We're missing the chance to develop a civilization of fanatics!

C

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
B
I'm waiting for Randall Flagg to wander out of the brush and use his satanic power to make us civilised, myself.

Cassidy

Arcane
B

Let's see what happens if a prehistoric civilization becomes so focused on practical survival to go around making up religious bullshit for what they do not understand.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
B - We know nothing of this beast, it would be foolish to assume anything. Let's check out what we're dealing with from a safe distance.

Lindblum

Augur
A. Make sure our food doesn't run away.
B. Stalk the glowing beast
C. Shaman

B

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
C: Boldly approach the monster, learning its name and worshiping it. It could give us great power!

Vernydar

Learned
It could give us great power!
Or it could eat us all in an instant. You'd gave us walk into its awaiting jaws willingly? I think you must have eaten bad roots that clouds your judgement.
I say there is not much to gain by just observing this creature from afar! Either we take the initiative and try to worship this angry creature, or gather back our herds and flee as fast as possible! But if it is so powerful, maybe it can follow us and hunt us! Best we try to worship it, earn its benevolence...

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm with the religious fanatics on this one.

Lindblum

Augur
If magic and spirits suddenly exists I can be convinced that this isn't earth.

For now my stance is just Bizarro earth thats sort of standard and boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom