Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Kipeci

Arcane
B.

There could be a more advantageous spot further down the coast. If we've come this far, we may as well take a little more distance to see if there's a better spot before settling down.

newcomer

Learned
For C voters: And I though we had resolved to crush all barbarians and enrich our spiritual life with the water spirit in the previous update...

I shall defend this spot to death : A

ScubaV

Prophet
For C voters: And I though we had resolved to crush all barbarians and enrich our spiritual life with the water spirit in the previous update...

I'm all for crushing barbarians. Abandoning our source of obsidian, wood, and the fire spirit that has guided us this far is the worst possible way to do that though. I look forward to when the Wielder of Fire returns and puts all of you water hippies to the flame!

m4davis

Scholar

I'm all for crushing barbarians. Abandoning our source of obsidian, wood, and the fire spirit that has guided us this far is the worst possible way to do that though. I look forward to when the Wielder of Fire returns and puts all of you water hippies to the flame!
The lake has wood near it we won't get our obsidian back by moving to a hill and also the fire spirit has clearly abandoned us

oscar

Arcane

What do you mean? The other options take us further away from our obsidian supplies (the hills or the ocean) while we've still got wood on the hills. Not to forget how great all this ash will be for agriculture. A is the closest to our old lifestyle (just now with a hill instead of a volcano and access to the sea).

ScubaV

Prophet
Maybe Curufinwe can clarify, but I'm under the impression that we traveled downriver (north, but we don't know that). At some point the river dumped into a huge lake and the options are: stay at the rivermouth, move along the coast away from the source of barbarians, or move back up the river some distance into the hills and away from the coast. I prefer staying closer to the volcano, but still outside the ash zone. Whenever the environment around it settles down (however many decades that takes) we can expand back upriver or send expeditions, maintaining our connection to the all-powerful fire spirit.

Hoodoo

Arcane
A.

but we should at least scout the hills nearby. They could be rich in something other than fish and if they have clear springs/a river we would be set. Abandoning our gods for the ocean might not be such a good idea either, but then who knows, because our Gods atm seem to be shadowy figures who like to make volcanoes explode.

A. For the same reasons Oscar listed. I'm done with the tribe's pussy-ass cowardice. Send the barbarians our best women for daily blowjobs, as well, why don't you? We're at the prime property - straight on the fresh water/fishing source - we have the best weapons, we're trained and strong.
And we haven't even seen a single barbarian, ever, ffs. We haven't even sent scouts to recon their forces. And yet everyone keeps pissing themselves at the mere mention of them. For years! I am so very upset about this issue.

Tigranes

Arcane
Remember, some people thought even coming this far was reckless and we would face the rape-potential of the great unknown. Instead, we find a great new place to live, one that isn't interminably far from the volcano and its potential resources. Let's not pussyfoot, we want to get the riches of this new environment as fully as possible even if we do have to fight and retreat to the hills later, when you know, we actually see anything hostile.

A

Esquilax

Arcane
A

We're right next to the sea, and we have plenty of food and resources right next to us. Also, if obsidian is needed, we can go upriver to gather more of it on our boats once it's safe to travel there again. I highly doubt that we're going to find any place that's better than this. Based on what we know of the barbarians, they're highly aggressive and probably more nomadic than we are. When they had finished raiding the refugee tribe, took prisoners, etc. they had no reason to stick around, so they've likely gone somewhere else in search of easy prey. A few decades have passed since we took the refugees in, so I think they're somewhere else.

We need lots of food, water, and wood for defenses. Looking for some hypothetical place that's "better" than this one wastes valuable time that we need to get our tribe back on its feet. We know nothing of where these barbarians are - for all we know, if we continue along the shore, we could run right into them.

As far as C, I don't like it. Morale is shot, we need to get back to our feet now. Once our people are healthy and thriving again (and given the great resources around us, it hopefully won't be too long), we can plan our next move: scouting our surroundings. Right now, our position is easily visible to hostiles, and that means that we really have to take the initiative and ensure we find the barbarian tribe before they find us. Once we scout them out, we unleash our secret weapon:

polar-bear-pup.jpg

The barbarians will be so overwhelmed by how adorable our bear cubs are that they will no longer feel any bloodlust or hatred towards outsiders.

Internet

Scholar
A

Also, it's pretty clear we lack in shamanic skills. I propose the tribe builds a totem to the Bear-God.

Curufinwe Could you unleash your MS-Paint skills and give us an updated map?

Curufinwe

Learned
Maybe Curufinwe can clarify, but I'm under the impression that we traveled downriver (north, but we don't know that). At some point the river dumped into a huge lake and the options are: stay at the rivermouth, move along the coast away from the source of barbarians, or move back up the river some distance into the hills and away from the coast. I prefer staying closer to the volcano, but still outside the ash zone. Whenever the environment around it settles down (however many decades that takes) we can expand back upriver or send expeditions, maintaining our connection to the all-powerful fire spirit.

Pretty much the options are those. Except the hills one, I had thought it more as camping on the hills facing the lake/sea than going back downriver. I'm going to post a map once you get some proper scouting and exploration of this area done too.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
C.A few of the scouts made their own proposal: 'We are not safe here, yes, but staying right on the shore, although further from the enemy, wouldn't be much better. The hills at our backs are densely forested, giving good concealment, and higher ground would allow us to spot any trouble long before it can see us. We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish, true, but it would be only a minor inconvenience.'

How do you think we grow strong? By fighting barbarians while some of our best and most able-bodied men die? We are few. Only 400. Hills give us goog concealment so perhaps we can build up our strenght up in peace. And as the option states, We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish, true, but it would be only a minor inconvenience.' Minor inconvenience is what I would like to point out. If it is only minor inconvenience, I don't think our river skills will be forgotten if we take c.

And we haven't even seen a single barbarian, ever, ffs. We haven't even sent scouts to recon their forces. And yet everyone keeps pissing themselves at the mere mention of them. For years! I am so very upset about this issue.

Why did we come here? Oh yeah because those people we assimilated told us this would be a good place to live. And they warned us about the barbarians. So we believed them on one thing but on another. Why is that?

C is the way to go this time.

m4davis

Scholar
C.A few of the scouts made their own proposal: 'We are not safe here, yes, but staying right on the shore, although further from the enemy, wouldn't be much better. The hills at our backs are densely forested, giving good concealment, and higher ground would allow us to spot any trouble long before it can see us. We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish, true, but it would be only a minor inconvenience.'

How do you think we grow strong? By fighting barbarians while some of our best and most able-bodied men die? We are few. Only 400. Hills give us goog concealment so perhaps we can build up our strenght up in peace. And as the option states, We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish, true, but it would be only a minor inconvenience.' Minor inconvenience is what I would like to point out. If it is only minor inconvenience, I don't think our river skills will be forgotten if we take c.

Why did we come here? Oh yeah because those people we assimilated told us this would be a good place to live. And they warned us about the barbarians. So we believed them on one thing but on another. Why is that?

C is the way to go this time.
Sure but its worth mentioning that we don't know how there numbers have changed they easily could have shrunk considerably and we even could of outnumbered them by we heard of them.It doesn't seem that they have a very stable food source so its very possible they are starving to death right now.Or they could have gone on to greener passes and as has been mentioned we are not just going to sit here and hide if they dare show there faces here we will rip them off.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Or they could have grown more than we have. You never know. But they were a threat last time we heard about them so no point assuming they aren't a threat now.

m4davis

Scholar
Or they could have grown more than we have. You never know. But they were a threat last time we heard about them so no point assuming they aren't a threat now.
And what I'am saying is that we have grown stronger and bigger we have to face them sometime why not now.when are large numbers still make such a big difference

oscar

Arcane
About fifty years ago and we have not heard a whisper from them since. Neither had the plains nomads.

And why this assumption that we don't stand a chance against these barbarians? The people they defeated were pacifists with clubs and fishing implements for weapons. We have a large, trained militia armed with obsidian axes and spears. Abandoning this site will retard our economy and long-term development.

Better for there to be more of us to stand and fight due to the fish, good soil and fresh water supplies of this site than to somehow expect us all to hide in the bushes at the first sight of an enemy. By the nomads admission, we're the strongest fighting force in this region so it's time we damn well acted like it instead of cowering in a crummy site that's only advantage is that it lets us hide better.

oscar

Arcane
C voters, your reasoning literally is "this site is way too good for us, let's go hide and starve ourselves in the hills so no one beats us up". Cowards.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And what I'am saying is that we have grown stronger and bigger we have to face them sometime why not now.when are large numbers still make such a big difference

Yes we have grown, but they could have grown more than we. And no, we don't have to face them. It is big world and we are counted in hundreds, chances are we never meet them if we choose not to.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I remember the barbarians defeated many tribes. They know how to fight. And our weapons are sticks with sharp end. So the advantage isn't that big. But if they outnumber us 3:1 or even 2:1, we are going to take heavy losses if they attack us.

And we are not abandoning the site, we are just going to locate our camp nearby were it is hidden. Nothing stops us to make use of that good spot.

oscar

Arcane
And we are not abandoning the site, we are just going to locate our camp nearby were it is hidden. Nothing stops us to make use of that good spot.

We had to decide wheter to make this a permanent camp or yet another stop before we moved farther.

It says we have already made camp and provisioned ourselves, so I'm assuming the question to be whether we want this to be our permanent camp. What anyone with a brain on his shoulder's would (unless you want to hide forever from these bogeymen).

m4davis

Scholar

Yes we have grown, but they could have grown more than we. And no, we don't have to face them. It is big world and we are counted in hundreds, chances are we never meet them if we choose not to.
You people are showing a huge fear of failure by showing that you don't want to even try to see how strong are military strength is compared to others we could easily be the most prosperous and strongest tribe and never know it because were always hiding.Also we do need to face them if we both survive they will want to expand and we will be in there way.Also I just looked it never said they conquered any other tribe besides the refugees.

oscar

Arcane
Indeed, the Great Seer noted us as the most advanced and militarily powerful tribe. Again, how long are we going to cower and hide from these barbarians who no one has heard from in 50 years? Until we have bolt-action rifles?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom