Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Curufinwe

Learned
Anyway, I'm hoping that we stay in this setting, but continue on as, say, that other fire tribe that warned us earlier about the eruption and had the zebras.

This setting, it can be done. But we'll talk about this later.

Answering Collage, nope. Not as this same tribe, that's one veto I will put right now. It would be too much like 'reloading' and there's no reloading in a CYOA, it completely defeats its purpose.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I can accept that. I'm sure playing on as a different tribe, we will hear more about the Obsidian Embers. It would also help us jump the timeframe a little bit.

ScubaV

Prophet
Here's my take on the situation:

We let the Wielder take the gem in the mountain initially. I think this was half "for the lulz" and half "we have no idea what will happen, but it will probably be interesting". That's fine. As things progressed I think it became obvious to most that the Wielder was lusting for power and it was confirmed with the secret training. Taking his gem away instead of killing him I thought was reasonable at the time, though ultimately turned out to be a poorer choice. Voters wanted access to fire magics, but knew that the Wielder couldn't be trusted.

I think the hiatus is what ultimately caused the abrupt turn-around. I think we lost some regular followers of the LP and gained a few new ones. And some of those that stuck around probably forgot about examples of the Wielder's true nature. I think there was also some impatience after the long break to get back to the action, which anything involving the Wielder certainly provides. Thus I feel the about-face wasn't so much "give the Wielder more power" then "fuck the Wielder", but rather "watch and be wary" then "let's get this show on the road: FIRE! EXPLOSIONS!"

I don't blame you Curufinwe, but I do think the hiatus caused a change in overall voting behavior. As for the final vote, I flopped from A to B, which if I hadn't would have caused a tie vote if nothing else changed. I was right that A would be better for the tribe as a whole, but I didn't expect B to end the LP. I ultimately flopped partly because I thought the inevitable slaughter would reveal the Wielder as an evil tyrant once and for all, both to the tribe and to the LP readers and partly as a "fuck you" gesture to the pro-Wielder voters.

As for future LP'ing I say do whatever interests you most Curufinwe. After all, you're doing all the work of planning and writing so it should be something you want to do.

Collage

Educated
Anyway, I'm hoping that we stay in this setting, but continue on as, say, that other fire tribe that warned us earlier about the eruption and had the zebras.

This setting, it can be done. But we'll talk about this later.

Answering Collage, nope. Not as this same tribe, that's one veto I will put right now. It would be too much like 'reloading' and there's no reloading in a CYOA, it completely defeats its purpose.

Fair enough. In that case I'd rather start a new one than switch "characters".

Kipeci

Arcane
I was mystified by the B voters who just wanted a massacre to happen to discredit the Wielder, since that seemed like A would've allowed that to happen anyway, just with water worshippers and their supporters instead of both and the council.

Would there have been a chance for the Wielder not to rebel if we'd gone mostly with what he asked for from the start? You said it was inevitable at least past the point where we made him shovel shit, but would he have worked within our old system if he'd been able to achieve his goals that way, or would he have eventually tried to overthrow the council anyway?

Esquilax

Arcane
Taking his gem away instead of killing him I thought was reasonable at the time, though ultimately turned out to be a poorer choice. Voters wanted access to fire magics, but knew that the Wielder couldn't be trusted.

I convinced everybody to keep him alive in the first place, so I guess I ought to explain my reasoning. I was anti-Wielder from the beginning as well (Vernydar convinced me that killing him when he first showed up was the way to go), but in the aftermath of our battle against the beastmen (before our scouts had returned from their forest), I didn't want to risk any internal strife or a civil war with the beastmen potentially preparing another assault against us. Killing him in his sleep would have been seen as dishonorable and against the laws of our people, so I felt that the best choice was to simply marginalize him so that if he rebelled in the future, he would have only a few supporters rather than a whole bunch of people holding him up as a martyr.

I don't blame you Curufinwe, but I do think the hiatus caused a change in overall voting behavior. As for the final vote, I flopped from A to B, which if I hadn't would have caused a tie vote if nothing else changed. I was right that A would be better for the tribe as a whole, but I didn't expect B to end the LP. I ultimately flopped partly because I thought the inevitable slaughter would reveal the Wielder as an evil tyrant once and for all, both to the tribe and to the LP readers and partly as a "fuck you" gesture to the pro-Wielder voters.

As for future LP'ing I say do whatever interests you most Curufinwe. After all, you're doing all the work of planning and writing so it should be something you want to do.

Same reasoning on my part. I didn't mind the pro-Wielder voters like oscar and Smashing Axe who liked the idea of a powerful fire theocracy because they knew what they were getting into with the Wielder, and were fine with it. That's okay. But if you thought that he was some misunderstood shaman who was actually a good guy deep down, you are either stupid or you haven't been reading the updates.

As for what to do next, playing as the Seer's tribe seems cool, but I'll wait and see what Curufinwe has planned for us.

Vernydar

Learned
Well, I hope people do not blame me for this lp's end :D

Jokes aside, I was against the wielder because I had from the very start the idea that he was an NPC, as Curufinwe admitted. Someone IN our tribe, but outside of our control. And someone obviously deranged and dangerous.

I did not think the lp would end with B, as I said. I voted it to oppose the wielder, as I always did. People did vote for "more power to the wielder" a lot of times, and few had something precise in mind. That is what made this all happen in my opinion.

Oh, if anyone here is reading my lp, keep in mind that mine too can end if you fuck up XD

Curufinwe

Learned
I was mystified by the B voters who just wanted a massacre to happen to discredit the Wielder, since that seemed like A would've allowed that to happen anyway, just with water worshippers and their supporters instead of both and the council.

Would there have been a chance for the Wielder not to rebel if we'd gone mostly with what he asked for from the start? You said it was inevitable at least past the point where we made him shovel shit, but would he have worked within our old system if he'd been able to achieve his goals that way, or would he have eventually tried to overthrow the council anyway?

He wasn't a completely batshit crazy character. As long as he was influencing the council's policy, he was being polite and nice and accepted some small setback. But he would have increased demands, slowly but surely. He was an undermining influence from the get go, yep. To be honest, you had been keeping him pretty well in hand for a long time, but the shoveling shit business made him desperate. Then you just handed him his revolution on a platter. And that was that.

Curufinwe

Learned
I think the hiatus is what ultimately caused the abrupt turn-around. I think we lost some regular followers of the LP and gained a few new ones. And some of those that stuck around probably forgot about examples of the Wielder's true nature. I think there was also some impatience after the long break to get back to the action, which anything involving the Wielder certainly provides. Thus I feel the about-face wasn't so much "give the Wielder more power" then "fuck the Wielder", but rather "watch and be wary" then "let's get this show on the road: FIRE! EXPLOSIONS!"

Yes, the hiatus probably didn't help, true enough. To be completely fair though, to get to this particular outcome (as in fight against the Wielder with 0% chance of victory/survival) wasn't easy. It required giving him all his powers back, listening to him and then 'regretting it' in the end, which was the part that sincerely baffled me. Because, let's be honest, I really can't understand the 'Oh, so the Wielder wasn't a trustworthy shaman with only the good of the tribe in his mind, let's fight him' votes in the last update.

Anyway, the ideas I'm toying with (if we stay in this setting, which is what the general consensus so far seems to be) are two:
1) Take control of a new group/tribe/nation elsewhere, with a vote on where to go.
2) If you want to stay with the Obsidian Embers, I would like to give you control of a character living there instead of the whole tribe.

Either way, I'm doing the time jump. I honestly ran out of interesting ideas regarding the stone age, I don't want to start a slugfest of 50 technology updates. Without civilization in at least an early form, the mischief I can conjure up is limited.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1)

Great LP, and I approve of the Game Over and I am against continuing with the Obsidian Embers, the last vote was against the actual tribe and its leadership.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Well there was a chance to preserve independency and keep playing and I was the only one to vote that. And more so, it would have made A-voters treat the Wielder as an enemy. Maybe we could have used more time between updates to really think that last choice. But anyway, more this same please.

1)

Internet

Scholar
Anyway, thanks for your efforts Curufinwe, been fun to follow and some interesting debates (won't forget the arguments over bear cavalry for a while).

I did toy with the thought of actually giving you bear cavalry, I must admit it. In the end though I said to myself 'Ok, no. That's just too weird, can't do'. :D

Just wait until we try to develop bear-musketeers after a setting time-jump ;) Anyway, awesome job with the LP!

EDIT: 1) resurrecting the same tribe kind of defeatts the purpose of C&C

Bloodshifter

Educated
1.) Meh It was fun Also LEROY JENKINS! personally thought the wielder would not be a dick seeing as he was a Higher Power or what not Oh well Also how will we get a new tribe or rather can we choose so specials since we are not starting over?

oscar

Arcane
2. I wish to stick with this culture and people we have forged.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Either way, I'm doing the time jump. I honestly ran out of interesting ideas regarding the stone age, I don't want to start a slugfest of 50 technology updates. Without civilization in at least an early form, the mischief I can conjure up is limited.
Is it weird that I enjoyed the technology updates the most? The bear domestication update had me laughing in stitches. I'll miss the tribe of Obsidian Embers, but the bear friends most of all.

As for our choice, I'm obliged to choose 1, since we have a lot of individual focused CYOA atm, but no civilisation ones, regretful as I am to turn my back on something as novel as a fire bear. I enjoyed reading your LP, it's sad that I only just stumbled upon it so recently when the end was near.

Curufinwe

Learned
Is it weird that I enjoyed the technology updates the most? The bear domestication update had me laughing in stitches. I'll miss the tribe of Obsidian Embers, but the bear friends most of all.

As for our choice, I'm obliged to choose 1, since we have a lot of individual focused CYOA atm, but no civilisation ones, regretful as I am to turn my back on something as novel as a fire bear. I enjoyed reading your LP, it's sad that I only just stumbled upon it so recently when the end was near.

Technology updates won't disappear, but I won't be forced to have 20 tech updates just, for example, to give you the concept of money from which all plot events can spring, which was what had happened at a certain point. As much as I'd like to, I don't have the knowledge nor the literary skill to write something interesting encompassing all important technological discoveries in human history. Plus magic.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Any chance that the time jump won't be big? I really liked this era.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom