Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Curufinwe, May 5, 2012.

1. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    "human-like in form but bent, deranged, wrong somehow". Would YOU eat that?

^ Top  
  2. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Somebody would have at least suggested the idea. Maybe when we get desperate enough the option will be available.

^ Top  
  3. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    Now, first consideration. YAY new nation! FUn times!
    I bet that these people are the descendants of some idiots that disturbed an elemental gem and saw their lands destroyed. Sounds familiar? Yep, another tribe I know did the very same thing :p And they escaped underground....

About the options, they all suck! How nice. I'd avoid option C, the do nothing option never works imo. Besides I seriously doubt these enemies will slow down. If anything, more of them will come. No, that's not an option.

Which leaves A and B. I do not think we can actually defeat these enemies with the resources we have. They seem too many. But picking A might allow us to know where they are coming from, and maybe open a path for us to escape to the surface. It also might not however.
    B is instead a cypher. We could find resources there, we could find allies, or we could find enemies. But I do not think we will see a way to leave the underground if w explore those tunnels. Currently undecided between A and B, will think a bit more and see what others post

^ Top  
  4. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  5. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    :cool: Don't know, no idea, the possibility never crossed my mind. :cool:

^ Top  
  6. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Tempted between B and C. I'll listen to some arguments before I vote.

^ Top  
  7. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  8. Collage Educated

Collage
    B is the most intriguing choice.

^ Top  
  9. Urist McLurker Learned

Urist McLurker
  10. Stygian Lurker Liturgist

Stygian Lurker
  11. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    Just keep in mind people, B is intriguing be we JUST destroyed our previous civilization. We might want to be more cautious here... or not.

^ Top  
  12. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    B, let's set ourselves up with some sort of stone Wielder if possible.:troll:

^ Top  
  13. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Awesome introduction, Curufinwe. Would have voted for B in the previous choice, but this is very cool.

Our young king is bold, C wouldn't suit him and it's terrible in the long-run. The real problem here is that our way of life is unsustainable. However, according to the update, going into the sealed caves might make an already difficult (Morlocks attacking us) much worse:

It's important to note that our people's customs arose as a response to threats to their survival, so if our religious texts are telling us "DON'T GO INTO THE SEALED CORRIDORS!" we should probably listen to them. The last time we tampered with dark, powerful forces beyond our control, the mountaintop surrounding the Obsidian Embers erupted and nearly killed everybody. The religious custom of The Choice came because we didn't have enough food to support our people, so the elderly would wander off elsewhere to die and if they were lucky, eke out an existence someplace else in the caves. So yeah, our religious beliefs, while dogmatic, are helpful to our survival.

Sending an expedition of warriors would be extremely dangerous, but it would allow us to learn more about the enemy so we can defeat them. It would give us real knowledge and a way to eliminate the threat without the "let's hide behind our walls" tactic that hasn't worked out so well for us. We can't hide behind the walls forever, and our religious beliefs (which have been passed down from our ancestors to warn us of dangers) strongly urge us not to go into the Sealed Corridors.

On that note, I'm voting A.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    I think I will vote A as well. While we are fewer than the enemies, we have a military. And we have weapons and armor. A well- equipped and trained expedition could make it through anfd come back to give us information. And B seems very dangerous, we might want to avoid another game over immediately

A

^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I don't think we'd have a game ending choice right after Curufinwe went through all the trouble to make this again.

^ Top  
  16. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    thats what you say but what if no one made it back due to a powerful gem making them go mad and turn into these things

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Neither do I. But that's not the important part. What's important is that our religion seems pretty well-suited to the needs of our people, so dogma aside, it would be wise to heed it. Consider what we know:

It's clear that our ancestors committed a "great sin", causing a cataclysm that destroyed paradise and forced the survivors to escape underground. But the part that sticks out to me the most is that the underground passages were lost to memory to "hide our shame". Very curious choice of words. This strikes me as a group of people who made a terrible mistake of some sort, but decided to cover their tracks and destroy the evidence of what happened so that future generations wouldn't follow in their footsteps. It seems to me that it's also why they sealed off large parts of the cave system as well.

I'm not saying we ought to rule out B somewhere down the road. But it looks to me as though it's very clearly a last-resort type option. You don't go for a last resort unless you have no other choice. If our people were starving to death and there was a horde of Morlocks at our gates, I would understand, but we aren't that desperate right now. We still have food for the time being, and we have a good army with superb metalworking skills.

We can't hide behind our walls forever, we know very little about our enemy and we know that opening up the Sealed Corridors is clearly too good to be true. If there were lots of food there and nothing else, why would it be sealed off in the first place? Clearly the people who sealed it off did so for a reason.

So that's why I'm suggesting we vote for A. We can consider B once we've exhausted all other options, but not before.

^ Top  
  18. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  19. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
    eh my earlier point still stands but esquilax pointed out a few things to me I missed so flip flopping to A

^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
  21. Clotstein Scholar

Clotstein
    A

^ Top  
  22. Hirato Purse-Owner Patron

Hirato
    Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think I'll vote B.

Esquillax does make excellent arguments in favour of A.
    But those caverns are a complete unknown to us - these "morlocks" have likely explored it and will have an advantage due to having knowledge of the tunnels...

Then there's also the fact that they are strange and otherworldly in appearance - which implies they're wicked creations, perhaps even kindred of what was sealed away in the other caverns.
    So I'm voting B more in a gamble to strike at the heart of the enemy... Forgoing that we'd likely have more men and resources at our disposal to use against these "morlocks."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Esquillax makes a good point. A. Though if that fails I say we explore the sealed caverns.

^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    A.

I think for our very first choice it makes sense to try our best to defend our home and way of life, and to learn more about the enemy.

Also, that was a gripping introduction - well done indeed.

^ Top  
  25. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I stop paying attention to this thread for a while and everyone gets killed.

Sigh.

Voting B.

A means going in a completely unknown hostile territory looking for an unknown powerful enemy. What happens when we get to a fork? Spliting forces will leave both of them vulnerable to attack. Staying as one force would give us 50% chance we have chosen the wrong path, leaving the city vulnerable to attacks while we are waisting time playing soldiers in the dark. And the next fork after that and so on? Caves give our enemy huge defensive advantage and this expedition will end about as well as it did for the late king. We are supposed to be different from him - so let's be different.

C means slow starvation - if provisions aren't tight already, then what's up with the mandatory "retirement" age? Fuck religion (look where it got us the last time) and fuck vague warnings about something or the other. If our ancestors couldn't be arsed to pass on exactly why we should be avoiding those tunnels, it probably wasn't that important to begin with.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.