Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Curufinwe, May 5, 2012.

1. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Do we have the technological means to collapse the tunnels that the Morlocks originate from?

^ Top  
  2. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I'm interested in Vernydar's C, might as well claim uncharted but useful territories. Of course with full force army behind the scouts.

And it's surprising that no one has ever thought of that before this King Saras reign...

^ Top  
  3. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    A. Good thinking Esquilax. I don't always agree with your votes but your plans are usually quite solid. Lay a bait of unarmoured bodies, trap the area to high hell and ambush 'em.

^ Top  
  4. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Build movable fortifications, fortify most of the passages while exploring slowly the remaining passages. We need to map out the surrounding tunnels if we hope to achieve anything here. Might as well try the live bait trap while building.

Edit: Basically this is Vernydar's 3.

^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C - Advance slowly, fortifying our position as we go. Seal up any caves we are not actively exploring

^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    The problem with your plan, Esquilax, is that I find it very unlikely that they were interested in the corpses of the unarmoured; isn't it much more plausible that they somehow ambushed and defeated the armoured, then captured any who would not fight? Thus a trap of corpses, I doubt, holds much interest.

Uh.. in other words, yeah. As Vernydar says. :(

Advance slowly while fortifying is a sound idea, unless the caves start getting far too complicated. If there are only 3-4 offshoots, etc., we can jump from chokepoint to chokepoint and slowly squeeze out their lebensraum, but if this is a sprawling cave system they will just hide then hit us from the behind. And certainly, this is a 'veritable labyrinth'.

I'm wondering if we have any means like smoke, fire arrows, or whatever that can be used to 'disable' entire passages or at least to check their safety prior to entry; for me ambush is the primary risk here. A reasonable but not too big expedition of the best soldiers is probably sensible, with quickly deployable spikes or whatnot (although... what's the cave floor like, for planting spikes?), but I'm struggling to think of a really good option. We just don't know enough yet.

^ Top  
  7. Clotstein Scholar

Clotstein
    Vernydar's C
    It's pretty much what i had in mind. Only problem is that if these tunnels ramify too much, the army may spread too thin to garrison all these fortified frontiers. But whatever, i'm guessing we can always make the main entrance to the Morlock tunnels cave in and flee for the forbidden tunnels (and a possible surface access/gem of earthen POWAH!).

Curufinwe: Exactly what is our ranged weapon tech, if any? do they even make sense with the light level given by the glowing mushrooms/lichen or is it generally too dark? (if we do have them and it is generally too dark, i suggest placing several illumination lines behind the fortifications)

^ Top  
  8. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    Ranged weapons? Uh, some throwing knives probably, that's it. No wood down here and no reason to develop archery or javeling-throwing (all the fighting has ever been close quarters in the tunnels). Your mushrooms are used for leather-like fibers and the lichens double as textiles, but no real wood. Your weapons are 100% metal. Also keep in mind it's been an year or so since the beasts started showing up. Previously the veterans were pretty much policemen. Say thanks to your sacred texts speaking of ancient evils and crap like that for even having an army in the first place.
    Regarding Esquilax's suggestion, I was half asleep when I answered yesterday evening so I didn't for some reason notice the pit-digging suggestion: that won't work. Solid rock tunnels, anybody'd hear you digging the trap from a long distance away.
    Smoking them out is also somewhat risky, you don't really know these tunnels so lighting a fire to smoke people out might backfire and smoke the smokers.
    Saying these two things because NPCs would immediately tell them. :P

^ Top  
  9. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    Question, how many tunnels are there? How many ramifications, how large are the tunnels? I mean, are there like ten exits our of every room? or only one and thena ramification after two kilometers?

^ Top  
  10. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    Bit of both. In the area you know, it's more of the first type, although there are a few straight tunnels with no ramifications. Keep in mind the area you know (the map on the slab of stone) is not THAT large though. Scouts going too deep never came back, in years past, so your knowledge is very limited, actually.
    Tunnels, they come in all sizes, but most are between 1 and 3 metres wide for 2 to 3 tall, pretty much.

^ Top  
  11. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    Very well, so let's sum up. No ranged weapons, no possible simple traps (digging pits in solid rock is not a quick work), many tunnels, no knowledge at all of the area ahead of us. No, fortifying is not an option, too many possible exits, and our only real way to fortify is.. uh.. building walls.

Let me amend my original options and write them more in details

1) If we want to go back, we still can. Fall back to the city. Fortify heavily using metal slabs covered with spikes secured to the floor. Leave only enough space for one savage to pass at a time for every entrance. And explore the sealed corridors. I do not suggest this though. We're here, we voted to be here, let's move on.

2) Avoid being pinned down. Move quickly in a tight formation. Use some scouts for every tunnel ahead of us, but only do a quick scouting. If there's a long tunnel, send scouts ahead and advance immediately, if there are many options, stop a few minutes while scouts take a look and then choose quickly Avoid staying still too long except when sleeping and eating. Scout patrols should be four people. One ahead, then one after 10 meters, then 2 after 20 meters. If we lose the forward scouts the others should realize and be able to disengage to come back and tell us of enemies. As for camping when we are forced to in order to sleep, choose a chamber with two entry points in opposing direction. Use heavy guards shift at every entry, and scouts beyond. Fortify the entry with metal slabs as said above. Surely we can lug around ten or so metal slabs. When we camp, secure them o the floor with heavy rocks os that entry points are only one person wide. If we are attacked by numerous people, this give us some advantage.
    But this choice is too risky as well I think. We are moving with little scouting, we could arrive in a dead end. I prefer the one below

3) Move more slowly, scout more extensively before moving on. I'm not saying to stop an hour at every ramification, but do stop more and scout ahead more before moving. We are slower, but we avoid dead ends, places that are not defensible, and in general springing possible traps. Camping, scouting, sleeping as the point above.

4) We could still try to spring a trap but I am against this now. We can't quickly or easily fortify, it's too dangerous in my opinion. Plus we have no idea how many barbarians are in each wave. better try to capture some in the inevitable battles ahead.

My vote is

^ Top  
  12. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Not sure how we would smoke anything out given we have no wood. Are we trying to light lumps of coal with a flint? Hmmm.

Rushing into enemy territory in the dark still seems crazy to me, hence my preference for the 'forbidden tunnels' earlier. But as Vernydar says we've voted to move down this path now so out of his options above think I'll also go with

^ Top  
  13. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    You know for some reason this behavior conjures up Image of Ant colony or termite one. First many weapons were broken, maybe against chitinous armor, then the way the soldiers were killed, maybe mandibles. Now how IF we hypothetically were facing a Ant/BUG colony, what would be the best way to counter it.
    Fire and smoke is a MUST I think, yes there is a danger, but I say we use it at place where we know the enemy will come using scouts with water socked rags on their faces, who retreat from the fire/smoke zone when their work is done.

^ Top  
  14. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    I can imagine something akin to Hussite wagon-forts working pretty well here. This also seems like perfect phalanx territory.

^ Top  
  15. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    Ok, we've already killed these guys. They are NOT ants. They are humanoids. It's not like we have never seen them. They are "deranged", but similar to us. Let us not create imaginary foes :lol:

^ Top  
  16. exe Augur

exe
    Obsidian Embers ended because Codex first gave the guy his gem and then, when he unsurprisingly came back with an invincible army of Fire Elementals, decided to tell him to fuck off. I.e. Codex flip-flopping too much and not being consistent in their votings (as always).

Maybe I shouldn't have called it most interesting, but most sensible. A was go into caves full of monsters (which just killed a small volunteer army), B was check out some other caves that might not be full of monsters and C was do nothing.

^ Top  
  17. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    When will you guys get that it wasn't inconsistency? Virtually everyone voted who voted to resist the Wielder (I am not one of them) did so believing that it would create a memory of resistance and see the Council martyred. Some (who hated the Wielder) hoped this would inspire later generations to revolt while more moderate types who voted for it just wanted it as a memory in case the Wielder proved incompetent.

Expecting it to be a 'lol game over' would be like getting a game over if Hitler and the Nazis replace the Weimar Republic or the French execute Louis XVI. Absolutely no one thought that if the Council members died we would get a game over.

^ Top  
  18. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Curufinwe

Maybe you would like to define who are we playing as to avoid lol game over again, such as whether we are playing as Saras's dynasty (and so any dynasty change will be game over), or is a more flexible throne inheritance or change in political model such as a change from kingdom to democracy allowed. And maybe state which ones are NPCs and will end our rule (well, you did tell us that the Wielder is an NPC...)

^ Top  
  19. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'm voting for Vernydar's 3, using any sort of mobile fortifications available to us (metal slabs, fortified wagons, etc). If we have any means of collapsing or blocking off tunnels we should do that as well if we leave a section uncleared.

^ Top  
  20. Collage Educated

Collage
    Voting for Vernydar's 3, with the added emphasis on working towards phalanx tactics if at all possible. If we can't set up a bunch of fortresses at least we try to be a moving wall of iron spears.

^ Top  
  21. Vernydar Learned

Vernydar
    My personal opinion is rather simple. The wielder of fire was an NPC. That was clear, he was never under our control. We represented the tribe, he was under OTHER influences, he had his own plans.

In the last update we chose to support the losing side. Since we did, and we were all killed, there was nobody in the tribe that was under our control. It most likely was not a matter of elder council or not, I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    What Vernydar said. It wasn't about the council being killed off, I couldn't care less about that. It was about you siding with the side that was completely wiped out, no survivors. Hell, the council probably would have met with unfortunate accidents even with the 'bow down' option. It was about your intentions, not the people you played, since you didn't really play anyone.
    Forgive me if I gave the wrong impression.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    So if the council is burned to crisps after bowing down, are we controlling the Wielder right now?

^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    No, because the Wielder was an NPC and we've switched to a different group.

Our collective support fell behind the faction that resisted, and for a normal choice that wouldn't have mattered, since whether we go for bear cavalry or making bows and arrows we would have had a sizable section of our group surviving. In this instance, we were wiped out to a man for our mistake in so openly opposing the Wielder, so there was no going past that.

^ Top  
  25. Curufinwe Learned

Curufinwe
    Basically you never controlled and never would have the Wielder. You could influence him, limit him etc but not directly decide what he would do. The game over was caused by the fact that by siding with the slaughtered faction you lost all possibilities of control. Again, not about specific characters being killed off, but about you losing all your influence over the tribe's direction.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.