Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenOutcast

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Too bad it isn't possible to increase the resolution in the original Outcast. The voxel graphics engine still looks quite good, it's only that the resolution of 5xx xsomething is so fucking low :/
I once tried some sort of fanmade patch to increase it, but that didn't really work out.

Oh, and the original Outcast had something similiar to that Dialogue wheel, only took up the whole screen. Of if you didn't play the original outcast, you wouldn't know :)

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yes, and it was clunky as fuck. In all honesty, the system the openoutcast guys use seems to work a whole lot better.

Exmit

Scholar
wheel dialogue or big ass gui where you choose a reply , no difference here at all and the gui serves no real purpose so it might as well be a small dialogue wheel for more functionality.

Skyway is just herping his derping in this thread, I bet he was actualy happy to comment on this , otherwise it would be a new-game-remake-without-skyway-rant.

MetalCraze

Arcane
wheel dialogue or big ass gui where you choose a reply, no difference here at all

Indeed - that's why these should stay in console games.

Buy yourself a PC and you will see how proper functional GUIs look where you don't need to play a minigame with your mouse to click on a single word

Exmit

Scholar
MetalCraze said:

Buy yourself a PC and you will see how proper functional GUIs look where you don't need to play a minigame with your mouse to click on a single word

:retarded:

and what is a 'functional gui?' , probably some ARMA 2 shit :smug: hurr durr you are so pr0 for playing arma 2

go and play falcon 4.0 , i shit on your kiddy game arma 2 compared to falcon 4.0 with 800 page manual.

Antediluvian

Educated
Peter said:
What Skyway is saying isn't completely inane. What's the need for a dialogue wheel, something created for ease of use with an analog stick, (as shown in the vid) in a PC exclusive? Not that it bothers me too much, but the devs obviously put it in there because 'herp derp must do as Bioware'.
They put it there because it was in the original game, only it occupied the whole screen instead of being positioned below

bhlaab

Erudite

durrrrrrrrrrrururrrrrrr

dFnE0.jpg

bhlaab

Erudite
i've never played outcast but i have some fuckin opinions about this

what asshole decided to put aliens in this?? trying to bow down to the halo fans i'll bet

Exmit

Scholar
bhlaab said:
i
what asshole decided to put aliens in this?? trying to bow down to the halo fans i'll bet

It was made before halo you ignorant (or troll)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Exmit said:

Not like it matters anyway because only Halo was good enough to bring science fiction gaming to the masses. If Outcast is so good and innovative it would have gotten sequels and console exclusives like Halo.

Exmit

Scholar
sgc_meltdown said:
Exmit said:

Not like it matters anyway because only Halo was good enough to bring science fiction gaming to the masses. If Outcast is so good and innovative it would have gotten sequels and console exclusives like Halo.

Money went on game development and not advertising.

Peter

Arcane
Antediluvian said:
Peter said:
What Skyway is saying isn't completely inane. What's the need for a dialogue wheel, something created for ease of use with an analog stick, (as shown in the vid) in a PC exclusive? Not that it bothers me too much, but the devs obviously put it in there because 'herp derp must do as Bioware'.
They put it there because it was in the original game, only it occupied the whole screen instead of being positioned below

My mistake then. :M

spekkio

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
bhlaab said:

That's why I was thinking you're talking about old Outcast - the 'dialog wheel' (for options) was present in this game from day one, and the entire game was created with analogue gamepad in mind.
The mouse controls felt weird as fuck till I switched to the gamepad (supported without the need of configuration).

Your 'herp derp 2009 users re dumb' and 'console gaming are killing the glorius PC gaming master race' schiticks got old at least two years ago.

I'm beginning to wonder it you didn't go full troll some time ago - your statements are becoming more and more retarded and one-dimensional (even for your low standard)... :(

Oh well, maybe it's just this 'staying in the character' thing. :roll:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Exmit said:
go and play falcon 4.0 , i shit on your kiddy game arma 2 compared to falcon 4.0 with 800 page manual.

a) I played falcon 4.0
b) ololo it has 800 pages manual I'm so hardkkkore (actually it's ~700)
c) ArmA2 is an infantry simulation

bhlaab said:

Your point is?

Oh look original has a shitty interface lets keep the same shit around instead of making it comfortable!

You people are so dumb you really make me feel like a genius

baronjohn

Cipher
spekkio said:
The mouse controls felt weird as fuck till I switched to the gamepad (supported without the need of configuration).
You must be differently able or something. Outcast played just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

spekkio

Arcane
Could be. I don't remember it well, but didn't you have to hold RMB to aim and LMB to shoot (default) or something?

:dizzy:

baronjohn

Cipher
And? This an Action Adventure, not Quake. Your character can't just run around pointing his gun at everything all the time.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh, looks sweet. Outcast is right up there just below Deus Ex on the list of games that blew my mind first time I played them. The game got slightly easier with a gamepad, but mouse+keyboard wasn't half bad either. I just hope they drop the idiotic jumping puzzles in the mining region and give us more to do in Talanzaar

spekkio

Arcane
baronjohn said:
And? This an Action Adventure, not Quake. Your character can't just run around pointing his gun at everything all the time.
It's not the point.
When you switch to the gamepad it's R1 + X (when using Dual Shock) which makes perfect sense and AFAIR was commonly used in old console 3d shooters from PSX era.
You hold R1, aim with left analogue stick and shoot with X (the targeting beam is present instead of just a crosshair - another weird thing for PC game, but it makes targeting with an analogue stick easier). You move using 2nd analogue stick. Sounds like a console bullshit? Because it is...

Check out a battle here:
link

The combination of 3rd pp and controls felt weird to me when played with WSAD+Mouse but to my surprise it felt much more natural with a gamepad.

And BTW, how many 3d games did you play using a analogue gamepad, baronjohn? Maybe you're biased towards a keyboard+mouse combo? ;)

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Oh look original has a shitty interface lets keep the same shit around instead of making it comfortable!

The entire point of the project is to make a game that's like Outcast.

kaizoku

Arcane
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Too bad it isn't possible to increase the resolution in the original Outcast. The voxel graphics engine still looks quite good, it's only that the resolution of 5xx xsomething is so fucking low :/
I once tried some sort of fanmade patch to increase it, but that didn't really work out.

Oh, and the original Outcast had something similiar to that Dialogue wheel, only took up the whole screen. Of if you didn't play the original outcast, you wouldn't know :)
What do you mean? AFAIK there are 2 patches related to display size: one allows 640x480 and the other a lot bigger resolutions such as 1280x720
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIrvt9z ... re=related
http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

Outcast was a gem in its time, one that went underrated.

For people interested in the ongoing "revival" of the game, it wouldn't hurt to register at the OpenOutcast forum and give some support.

MetalCraze said:
spekkio said:
Oh.
I forgot that you play every newshit, even in Alpha stage. :M

:bro:

Of course. We all know retarded dialogue wheel is there so they can later replace it with something proper.

2007+ members are so stupid it's quite funny actually.
Fixed it for you newfag. If you're going to troll at least put some effort into it. But I'm guessing that's already the best you can do.

There were other shitty trolls beside you, but they weren't as lame to warrant a mention.

baronjohn

Cipher
It looks rather ugly in HD. Outcast looks best in 400x300 in all its glorious blockiness.

Edit: on A CRT of course, for that some sweet analog antialiasing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Outcast plays mighty fine with keyboard+mouse after some remapping.

1280x1024 is the best resolution to play outcast with the HD patch, since widescreen in outcast = stupid 4:3 cropping.

I command everyone to go and play/replay the original game.

Skyway, go replay KOTOR. 8th time's the charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom