Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operation Flashpoint 2

Dmitron

Arbiter
skyway said:
Guess SLX team fucked this one up.
Ah, it's one guy behind the development, not a team?

And it's a free mod, that adds a bunch of cool features, quit your whining.

No wonder there are entire threads around here dedicated to you being a whiny little bitch. :D

Dmitron

Arbiter
skyway said:
So criticizing something and providing arguments for my point of view is considered whining now?

You have no argument.

Skyway's argument = "I can't aim boo hoo". Your "arguments" = whining.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah obviously I can't aim and can't kill my enemies from less than 4 direct hits (but I suck at aiming how can I even hit them :paradox:) with them being able to run around like nothing happened :roll:
Hey but when I'm uninstalling SLX I suddenly can aim and kill my enemies. Pure magic.
Suchy was wrong too. SLX can do no wrong.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah that phrase really looks horrible, whiny and contains so much panic and overreaction :roll: Especially in a pretty much neutral context of the whole post.
Don't look for something that isn't there.

Anyway it made me install OpF with SLX again and I have a question - what was the name of that mod which replaces radio chatter (voices and effects) in a game with more natural sounding ones like in ArmA?

entertainer

Arbiter
So a new video appeared, hyping the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee143EiB2gM

Well it was never a question that they were going for cod type of arcade action game, but this video just provides further evidence.

Especially
ofp2ii2.jpg

red indicator where fire is comming from :lol: not to mention movement etc...

They should show some more stuff tomorrow.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well it will certainly show those dumb "OFP2 will be a true sequel to OFP codemaster rulz" faggots.

Faggots.

Man this game looks like yet another casual shit - like that thing that skyway was talking about.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
skyway said:
Well it will certainly show those dumb "OFP2 will be a true sequel to OFP codemaster rulz" faggots.

Faggots.

Man this game looks like yet another casual shit - like that thing that skyway was talking about.

I'm pretty sure that this thread is for OFP2, not let's justify skyway's posts and stroke his e-penis whenever yet another game is shown to be casual crap, as skyway (not to mention about a thousands other people) had predicted.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the campaign through last two days.

The gameplay of Dragon Rising is decently realistic and challenging, you can die from a single shot if hit in the face, you can get wounded and need assistance by a medic, vehicles have fairly realistic damage (comparable to Arma 2), and shooting is somewhat off, I can't pinpoint what's wrong with it, but it's somewhat unresponsive and there is very limited amount of weapons. There are vehicles from trucks and cars, through light armor to tanks (although only one tank for Americans and one for Chinese), plus two helicopters. However, multiplayer is dead - I don't mean the lack of player, but servers are completely down, so you can only play singleplayer campaign and missions, which is essentially infantry gameplay. Except hummer and enemy's unarmored counterpart, you rarely get to drive anything else.

Missions are rather mediocre, however, quite challenging. You can traverse the whole map any time, so they are open-ended and this allows creative attempts to reach the goal, however, the game still gives you quest marker all the time for 'recommended' route. Sometimes it can be annoying and confusing. Moreover, often you have to get to that 'recommended route' anyway to trigger a script to continue the mission. What's worse, AI is braindead, it often stands in place and allows you to shoot them one by one, without any maneouvers whatsoever, even dumb ones. This includes the highest difficulty. It is also able to see you through grass though.

Unfortunately, despite the ability to traverse the whole map at any moment (assuming you avoid enemies or kill them) there is no point in travelling because the map is extremely void and boring. Not only it pales in comparison to Arma 3 or 2 or even 1, it is also far inferior to the original Operation Flashpoint, because the entire map is made of only terrain, trees, roads and single buildings. The only exception is a small airport. That's right, there's not a single town or even a proper village on the entire island! The largest conglomeration of buildings pretending to be a village contains less than 10 buildings. It's as if someone generated an island and put some trees and single buildings as a placeholder, but it ended up in the final version of the game. I can't even remember when I saw such an empty map last time. Even Tajikistan in Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - a territory that is just a desert - had small towns and other points of interest. Here is nothing at all.

Add to it an annoying UI, though a bit less annoying on highest difficulty, a tunnel vision FOV and rather awkward controls and you end up with a below average military sim. It's playable, it's severely inferior to any Arma or original OFP, but excluding multiplayer-only there are no other military sims so... I don't really recommend it, but if you can get it for almost free and have nothing else to play then it might not be a waste of time. Nonetheless, if you don't then you don't lose anything of value either.

By the way, I am in love with the main theme music track, it's unusual, serene, and it's great.

D9114AA84DA18D226B71BC70DE1B0DE38DE5FB73

81F650B38836C41FF486D46E07667C13C9581947

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom